National Football League 2015

‘Clucks’ doesn’t do hipster.

God that was bad. This bog ball stuff

Dubs fair play well played. Can anyone stop them

Back in the dark days when the Dubs were the Duds, a future where Dublin might win titles seemed exciting. It hasn’t turned out that way, and everything just seems boring now. Really boring.

Bottom line is people don’t care about the league any more because:
i) Dublin are too good.
ii) Pretty much everybody else bar Kerry seem to have given up.
iii) Most teams don’t care about it and are embarrassed to crack a smile if they win the final of their division because they feel they can’t be seen to be celebrating because they bizarrely feel it will give their championship opponents a psychological advantage.
iv) The shit marketing of the competition which does noting to dispel iii).
v) Croke Park is a really horrible place to watch a match when it’s a quarter full and/or the match is a procession. Really horrible and depressing. It makes you feel quite lonely, actually. Those pigeons and seagulls beget a horrible loneliness of the sort Patrick Kavanagh must have felt when he was throwing bits of bread to the swans at Baggot Street bridge. But at least he didn’t have to look at vast swathes of empty seats that make you feel that nobody actually lives in Ireland anymore.
vi) From my own personal perspective, my father isn’t well enough to go to matches any more, thus disrupting my match day routine and preventing me from having somebody at least reasonably knowledgeable to discuss the match with while it’s in progress, and going with relatives or friends, while it’s alright, just isn’t the same.

I honestly don’t give a shit whether I attend another Dublin football match this year.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1129616, member: 183”]Back in the dark days when the Dubs were the Duds, a future where Dublin might win titles seemed exciting. It hasn’t turned out that way, and everything just seems boring now. Really boring.

i) Dublin are too good.
iii) Most teams don’t care about it and are embarrassed to crack a smile if they win the final of their division because they feel they can’t be seen to be celebrating because they bizarrely feel it will give their championship opponents a psychological advantage.
iv) The sh*t marketing of the competition which does noting to dispel ii).
v) Croke Park is a really horrible place to watch a match when it’s a quarter full and/or the match is a procession. Really horrible and depressing. It makes you feel quite lonely, actually. Those pigeons and seagulls beget a horrible loneliness of the sort Patrick Kavanagh must have felt when he was throwing bits of bread to the swans at Baggot Street bridge. But at least he didn’t have to look at vast swathes of empty seats that make you feel that nobody actually lives in Ireland anymore.
vi) From my own personal perspective, my father isn’t well enough to go to matches any more, thus disrupting my match day routine and preventing me from having somebody at least reasonably knowledgeable to discuss the match with while it’s in progress, and going with relatives or friends, while it’s alright, just isn’t the same.

I honestly don’t give a shit whether I attend another Dublin football match this year.[/QUOTE]

I agree on Croke Park - keep it for semis and the final. Play everything else outside, as a matter of interest - what is the next biggest GAA ground in Leinster?

Puma O’Moore Park, Maryborough.

I know I’ve said this before but outside the All-Ireland semi-final and final, the Croke Park match experience is so stale, particularly when the Dublin football team play there. The thing is I actually would have gone to the match today if had been played anywhere but Croke Park. I’m strongly considering attending the Munster football final in Killarney this year instead of the Leinster hurling final, even if Dublin are involved, so sick am I of the place.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1129621, member: 183”]Puma O’Moore Park, Maryborough.

I know I’ve said this before but outside the All-Ireland semi-final and final, the Croke Park match experience is so stale, particularly when the Dublin football team play there. The thing is I actually would have gone to the match today if had been played anywhere but Croke Park. I’m strongly considering attending the Munster football final in Killarney this year instead of the Leinster hurling final, even if Dublin are involved, so sick am I of the place.[/QUOTE]

The AI semi finals are not too hectic at times either, crap generic pop music blaring as Hector or some other Z lister is screaming and roaring down a microphone to tell us all about how much we should be enjoying ourselves.

I’ve mentioned the modern Croke Park match day experience before on the “things that are wrong” thread.

If that game today was played at a venue down the country it could have generated a decent atmosphere. I’d say the Dublin players and fans would have actually welcomed a day trip somewhere.

Hope your old man is on the mend.

Puma O Moore Park, that takes me back :smiley:

Don’t think it’s named after Othello, mate.

Fuck no, none of them in Laois.

Bar the former Mayor of Maryborough of course.
[ATTACH=full]2722[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=“Elvis Brandenberg Kremmen, post: 1129647, member: 1624”]Bar the former Mayor of Maryborough of course.
[ATTACH=full]2722[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
Not during the reign of the O’Moores mate.

And that fella never Mayor’d Maryborough I’d suspect.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1129616, member: 183”]Back in the dark days when the Dubs were the Duds, a future where Dublin might win titles seemed exciting. It hasn’t turned out that way, and everything just seems boring now. Really boring.

i) Dublin are too good.
iv) The sh*t marketing of the competition which does noting to dispel ii).

I honestly don’t give a shit whether I attend another Dublin football match this year.[/QUOTE]

great post sid, re point Vi if ure stuck for someone to attend a game with i do have a reasonanle knowledge of sport from the mid 80’s to the early 00’s so send me a PM.
i know how you feel about the that tho, even tho im back now i cant see the auld fela go to a game, he wouldnt even go in yesterday to the FAI cup game where Wanderers beat Clonmel Town and 2 of my brother were involved, sad really as that was a fking huge game down there yesterday for them

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 1129675, member: 367”]great post sid, re point Vi if ure stuck for someone to attend a game with i do have a reasonanle knowledge of sport from the mid 80’s to the early 00’s so send me a PM.
i know how you feel about the that tho, even tho im back now i cant see the auld fela go to a game, he wouldnt even go in yesterday to the FAI cup game where Wanderers beat Clonmel Town and 2 of my brother were involved, sad really as that was a fking huge game down there yesterday for them[/QUOTE]

bigger evem when they beat Silley Rovers in the Intermediate Cup back in 1991 and he was in charge

Spillane and Brolly back doing the analysis - summer is near.

They’ve already ensured the Cork wing back, Jamie O’Sullivan, is looking at an 8 week ban for that elbow into Diarmuid Connolly’s chin.

[QUOTE=“cmontofuck, post: 1129684, member: 2737”]Spillane and Brolly back doing the analysis - summer is near.

They’ve already ensured the Cork wing back, Jamie O’Sullivan, is looking at an 8 week ban for that elbow into Diarmuid Connolly’s chin.[/QUOTE]

O Sullivan is mates with the fella Connolly clattered outside Macgowans a few years back

[QUOTE=“cmontofuck, post: 1129684, member: 2737”]Spillane and Brolly back doing the analysis - summer is near.

They’ve already ensured the Cork wing back, Jamie O’Sullivan, is looking at an 8 week ban for that elbow into Diarmuid Connolly’s chin.[/QUOTE]

It’s match bans now mate. You’d imagine he’ll miss miss both the Munster semi final and final at the very least. Unless Frank can work his magic.

A nasty cheap belt on Connolly.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 1129626, member: 1552”]The AI semi finals are not too hectic at times either, crap generic pop music blaring as Hector or some other Z lister is screaming and roaring down a microphone to tell us all about how much we should be enjoying ourselves.

I’ve mentioned the modern Croke Park match day experience before on the “things that are wrong” thread.

If that game today was played at a venue down the country it could have generated a decent atmosphere. I’d say the Dublin players and fans would have actually welcomed a day trip somewhere.

Hope your old man is on the mend.[/QUOTE]

AI semi finals are horrible affairs
in 2010 when KK hammered Cork John Spillane was doing the pre match entertainent
Cork - Tipp last year was shit as well, its just a shit, horrible ground with awful vantage points and any bit of noise you have juts blows put over the gaping hole that is hill 16.
i hate the place

on a serious note tho do we have a decent Ulster team team this year?
i presume you can just default to Donegal, but i think they caught dublin cold last year, it wll in its fuck happen again , plus their full back line is a shambles
only kerry can beat dublin, they are the only team with decent forwards…its a fucking shit state of affairs this championship

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 1129702, member: 367”]AI semi finals are horrible affairs
in 2010 when KK hammered Cork John Spillane was doing the pre match entertainent
Cork - Tipp last year was shit as well, its just a shit, horrible ground with awful vantage points and any bit of noise you have juts blows put over the gaping hole that is hill 16.
i hate the place[/QUOTE]

When it’s packed it’s still a great venue.

Anything less than 60% full, though , and it is horrific. Proper tumbleweed territory stuff. The club finals this year was dreadful (as it is most years), it was worse again for the hurling quarter final a week later.

It definitely is over used a lot, some of these Mickey Mouse league comes could be shifted to Tullamore or Portlaoise and there’d be a bit of a buzz around the towns on match days.