National Hurling League 2015

Mullach Ide

I knew Tadhg de Burca was very good before now but he was on another level today. What a player. Waterford were pretty impressive collectively and were well deserved winners. Very organised and slick and playing a nice style of hurling. Looking forward to seeing them in the championship. Some questions raised about Wexford today. Still a few players short, especially between 5 and 12.

A few quick observations on the final round of games:

Bad as we are for shitting the course, Wexford are laughably worse. Everything in their favour and they make a bollix of it.

Is Jack Browne the worst defender to play for Clare in the last 20 years? He’s been destroyed every time I’ve seen him, which has been often. Does he have dirt on Davy, or something, that he keeps picking him?

It must have been one of the greatest collapses in the history of Cork hurling on Leeside to blow that one today.

Two awful teams played out a snoozefest in Kilmallock.

The league isn’t worth bottled shite.

But it’s entertaining bottled shite. And in the end, isn’t that the real truth?
The answer, of course, is no.

He had a decent second half today when moved to wing back. A very frustrating hurler. Can do some great bits of defending but then some very needless fouling

Excellent interview from Davy on RTÉ radio just there

[QUOTE=“Elvis Brandenberg Kremmen, post: 1111000, member: 1624”]

Is Jack Browne the worst defender to play for Clare in the last 20 years? He’s been destroyed every time I’ve seen him, which has been often. Does he have dirt on Davy, or something, that he keeps picking him?

The league isn’t worth bottled shite.[/QUOTE]
He got a yellow early but was perfectly acceptable thereafter, borderline good. I don’t think he is good enough but he was decent today.
I agree wholeheartedly on the last point though, blow the thing up and make a proper championship ffs sake.

What did he say?

So I did.

[QUOTE=“Bad Winner, post: 1111022, member: 2406”]He got a yellow early but was perfectly acceptable thereafter, borderline good. I don’t think he is good enough but he was decent today.
I agree wholeheartedly on the last point though, blow the thing up and make a proper championship ffs sake.[/QUOTE]

I know it’ll probably never be entertained as Croke Park are trying to push their “Calendar Year” agenda, but is there something to be said for playing a few league games at the back end of the year as used be the case before?

Meh, doesn’t fix much really.
A condensed season is what’s needed, scrap the league, make divisions and play off a set number of games(almost if not identical to the way NFL is scheduled) resulting in provincial champions and 4/6 teams qualifying for a knockout series of games culminating in the AIF to be played in early August.

I think it was much worse with games in November

League format in hurling works well and makes it competitive. it is and always will be a secondary competition and a run in it is always with an eye to the summer

Main criticism of current format is we get hurling involving every team from Feb to March and then in summer teams have 8 week lay offs.

Any system to accommodate playing championship from May to september on consecutive weekends with a two week holiday beginning August before semi finals?

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1111057, member: 2272”]I think it was much worse with games in November

League format in hurling works well and makes it competitive. it is and always will be a secondary competition and a run in it is always with an eye to the summer

Main criticism of current format is we get hurling involving every team from Feb to March and then in summer teams have 8 week lay offs.

Any system to accommodate playing championship from May to september on consecutive weekends with a two week holiday beginning August before semi finals?[/QUOTE]

There’s a perfectly reasonable system that would cater for what you suggested but it would mean the abolition/radical revision of the Provincial Championships.

Mullane was pretty excited about the immediate future for Waterford hurling on RTE. No pressure lads!

Waterford at home to Galway and 3 coin tosses for home venue in the other quarter finals.

What’s with Marty’s hair? :smiley:

Ah Marty is gone to fuck lately, he’s completely taking the piss

It was just good in that he was very honest re Colm Galvin, how the squad had played etc but was very positive and came across as very amenable. Totally at odds with his stereotype lunatic persona apart from a few “so they were”'s.

Like ye were mugged today

Best two out of three kind of thing? Or one toss per game?