National Hurling League 2015

Coughlan is 25, one of the DLS college harty and all Ireland winners 07, 08 - same age as Noel Connors, he’s not a spring chicken. I have my doubts about him and shane fives in the full back line, would love to see dara fives back

Is Couglan the Kildare chap?

only saw the last 10 minutes of Waterford game…leaving paraic maher saunter out with the ball and take pot shots unchallenged was a high risk strategy…Derek Mcgrath looks like he totally loses the head on the side line like Eamon O shea does during matches…great boost for a young team like Waterford to win a match like that…tipp may live to regret not keeping them down by burying them yesterday

Maher appears to have a huge influence on the last 15 minutes of games… You’d almost need a fresh man brought in with 20 minutes to go to purely spoil him.

[QUOTE=“Fagan ODowd, post: 1126205, member: 706”]Waterfords game plan won’t, I think, stay static as the team evolves. It’s designed to maximize the teams strengths - fitness, ball skills - and minimize the weaknesses - lack of physical strength, lack of confidence and a shaky full back line.

As the weaknesses diminish over time, youngsters get older and bigger and get a bit of confidence from winning games the pattern will change slowly and there will be more confidence in going one on one at the back. Already the team is less defensive than last year, fielding 5 pure forwards with an emphasis on breaking from deep.

Tipp missed a big chance to set Waterford back a year yesterday when they took the foot off the gas after 20 minutes. If they’d done us for 6 goals we’d have been back to square one.[/QUOTE]
Fagan, why do you think that this team lacks in confidence? A lot of the younger players would be fairly used to winning all the way up in underage.

Yup. Limerick switched James Ryan onto him around that time to do that exact job in the 2013 munster final.

No - Kenny that came on for tipp yesterday is a Kildare native, afaik Barry Coughlan is a nephew of the Coughlans that hurled with Offaly in the 80s but I am open to correction on that

I’ll correct you so, Barry Coughlan is a Kildare man originally. Whatever he is to Offaly is unknown to me. Kenny is also a Kildare man alright.

Coughlan it turns out is one of 2 Kildare men involved in the current Waterford set up.

A couple more wins like yesterday and they won’t be lacking in confidence.

Waterford are undefeated all year and lacking in confidence while our lad hasn’t won a game of note in near 24 months and he’s walking around like a king in waiting

True.

Our lads had a ‘honest conversation’ with their management recently… whatever that means.

Our full back from 2014 has apparently been fit all spring but deemed bit good enough all through the league but he played corner back in a challenge last night. The mind boggles.

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1126510, member: 686”]True.

Our lads had a ‘honest conversation’ with their management recently… whatever that means.
[/QUOTE]

It means they’re fucked.

Form is temporary - class is permanent

Yeah, i just needed someone else to say it.

I think Galway have the players to trouble anybody, and I think Canning and Flynn are tops class. I really thought they’d challenge this year, but that effort v Waterford would make you wonder

I think we have the players Kid, I am not sure the management have a proper plan to get the best out of them but lets wait till summer to judge.

we could swap?
we’d love a manager with no plan…one who’d just feed and clothe them on match days?

[QUOTE=“myboyblue, post: 1126315, member: 180”]I’ll correct you so, Barry Coughlan is a Kildare man originally. Whatever he is to Offaly is unknown to me. Kenny is also a Kildare man alright.

Coughlan it turns out is one of 2 Kildare men involved in the current Waterford set up.[/QUOTE]
First I heard of coughlan being from Kildare he’s certainly with ballygunner since juvenile days so if that makes him a Kildare man, maybe he was born there…who is the other Kildare man in the waterford panel?

Selector Fintan O’Connor is a Kildare man also. Coughlan is originally from Monasterevan and moved to Waterford when he was 11 or so. Had never picked up a hurley before that actually.

Didn’t know that but I knew coughlan had hurled with BG since juvenile and sher look, don’t Kildare have a waterford man managing their football team!