Next Aston Villa manager

Rafael Benitez, Steve McClaren, Sam Allardyce, David Moyes, Owen Coyle all realistic.

Always the chance Benitez would look down on Villa similar to Houllier. He also seems far too attached to Liverpool still. Last 2 seasons have been shit but the best CV by a mile. Bit of a control freak too and not sure we want another of those.

McClaren is my choice. Holland and Germany experiences will be good and is the right profile.

Think Moyes and Coyle are gettable but hardly worth the hassle. Getting in Allardyce would piss off the fans but his football at Bolton at times wasnt all that bad. Djorkaeff, Campo etc.

Any English speaking coaches around Europe that would fancy the gig? Ranieri?

dungeon

I find it very strange why anyone would want McClaren over Benitez.

McClaren failed to ever get Middlesboro in the top six or seven of the EPL despite having a decent financial backing, failed magnificently with England and failed with Wolfsburg despite having money to spend there as well. His league victory in Holland with Twente was about as much as he ever did.

Benitez won two La Ligas with Valencia, a European Cup with Liverpool, had a decent European record with Liverpool and was regualrly in the top 4 in the EPL. Surely that record in comparison to McClaren outweighs any possible attachment he may have to Liverpool?

Dominique Strauss Kahn.

Gareth Southgate?

Moyes will only leave Everton for a vertical move, Villa are no bigger with no more potential than Everton.

if they can get Benitez they should snap him up with both hands.

Would Villa have a bit more spending power than Everton who seem to be fucked?

They would but Moyes won’t leave Everton for Villa. Only for one of the current top 6 I’d imagine.

Would any of the Top 6 be willing to take a punt? A club like Spurs perhaps, but the rest? I doubt it.

I’m pretty sure Moyes would have more money to spend at Villa than at Everton where Moyes himself has come out and said the only funds available to him will be from the sale of players. Moyes and Houllier are very good friends also so if Houllier is to move up stairs as some of the rumours suggest they might link well together but I just don’t see Moyes leaving his comfort zone at Everton.

Southgate? Ah come on be serious, I heard Mourinho might become available this summer aswell.

Thats what I thought. If I was Moyes I’d get out. They have no purchasing power there, and if you were to believe the rumours its only going to get worse unless some sheikh turns up out of the blue. If I were a Villa fan, I’d have him in a hearbeat.

benitez record over the last two seasons has been awful. He went crazy at Liverpool in his last season after a super effort the year before. Pissing off Alonso was key but still selling Arbeloa and buying Johnson for treble the money was insane. I think Inter would have struggled this season even if Mourinho had stayed on but they should still have been challenging at the top of a poor Italian league regardless but they were way off the pace when he left. Just hope he hasnt lost it as a manager. After Houllier, the club needs someone with man management and communication skills. Not exactly his strengths. We cant afford him to fall out with board, fans and academy though the Villa academy is pretty productive. Not sure Benitez learns from his mistakes like Ferguson does. Thats what sets Fergie apart though I suppose. Wenger is still making the same stupid decisions.

Then there is the whole still living in Liverpool, going to Liverpool games. Dont think he would be as stupid as Houllier was but still not sure how committed he would be as to be fair we are a fall down from Valencia, Liverpool and Inter. If he was fully tuned obviously he would be the best man for the job.

But by all accounts he was letting it be known to all and sundry at the recent football writers awards event* that he wants the Villa job, wants to stay in England and wants to build something with a new club * source guardian football weekly podcast, same source says that McClaren wants the job aswell.

Think McClaren would work more with the players he has got, can see Benitez sending a host to the exits and starting afresh.

Think Villa after this season are a cracking job for someone to take on. With a decent manager we will be back to top 8 or so at a minimum next season.

Only when Harry goes on to the England job will that become available. Moyes is gettable I reckon. Villa have a good few big earners heading for the exits this year and that will free up budget for new players. No Europa League nonsense. I think Everton are a dead duck at the moment sadly. I think Arteta, Cahill and Saha have seen better days. The vultures will be swooping over their players this summer.

:rolleyes:

:smiley: Sounds like a cracking club for someone with top 8 ambitions alright.

Moyes to Villa, that’s a laugh. :lol:

David Moyes will be the next manager of Manchester United. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gary McCallister gets the Villa gig.

Arbeloa had only a year left on his contract and wanted to go back to Spain.

The amount of money spent on Johnson was ridiculous though.

Still think he hasd much more clout than McClaren.

Just had a look at McClaren’s record at Middlesboro, where he had money to spend.

01/02 - 12th
02/03 - 11th
03/04 - 11th and League Cup
04/05 - 7th
05/06 - 14th and UEFA Cup final

Fine if you’re ambition is staying in the EPL and challenging for a few cups but would have thought Villa would be looking towards the Top 4 following O’Neill’s tenure.

gotta start somewhere mate.

Sure the EPL looks predictable, both Manchester clubs seem unassailable, ,the finances available to the London three even are in a league above Villa, We are there with Liverpool looking to break in. MON blew a great chance to break the top 4 but with the right manager we will challenge again in the near future against giants of English and European football.

Boro went down soon after he left, though if I recall correctly he left a MON type shambles behind with players out of contract, wage bill out of control etc. I think he has improved as a manager since then.

His title in Holland was superb and took a lot of balls going there. Germany not so good though there was serious issues there with players too close to the board.

As I said, Benitez at his best pisses all over him but not sure if his heart would be fully into Villa as it wasnt in Inter.

Benitez would be as well take a season off, pal around a few clubs, do some work with SKY and come back afresh. The Inter situ was a disaster, he was still caught up in what happened at Liverpool imo.

I don’t know. I can’t see McClaren achieving say what O’Neill achieved with Villa. I don’t think he’s up to it.

Benitez is well worth a punt for me, and the risk of his heart not being in it is low enough to take him on - given his record.