Niall Breslin - Carrying the hopes of a nation

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1054685, member: 24”]There’s a self serving side to ‘coming out as a depression sufferer’ as well though FP, particularly if you’re in the music or entertainment game. I don’t think Bressie is completely like that but I don’t think he adds much to the debate.

I would have far more time for the likes of James Wade who operates in an arena where depression is very taboo. He also spoke about in a brilliantly frank and honest manner which was at complete odds to the hard man image he seemed to be trying to portray himself as.[/QUOTE]
I think if you are in the music or entertainment business it is vital to mental awareness that ‘you come out as a depression sufferer’. These people are role models/idols (for good or bad) to thousands of young people. It’s a pretty normal thing for someone to suffer from depression. Problem is that many don’t see it that way. Bressie and others in his field help to break the taboo surrounding mental health.

He’s a publicity whore

1 Like

He has a new Tv show starting this week

Profile is his currency

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1054685, member: 24”]There’s a self serving side to ‘coming out as a depression sufferer’ as well though FP, particularly if you’re in the music or entertainment game. I don’t think Bressie is completely like that but I don’t think he adds much to the debate.

I would have far more time for the likes of James Wade who operates in an arena where depression is very taboo. He also spoke about in a brilliantly frank and honest manner which was at complete odds to the hard man image he seemed to be trying to portray himself as.[/QUOTE]

I’ve heard Breslin speak in person at the Cycle against suicide and spoke with him along the cycle. He’s very much an alright sort and anyone with his profile speaking out about this kind of thing can only be a good thing in my opinion.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1054701, member: 2272”]He has a new Tv show starting this week

Profile is his currency[/QUOTE]
Stop the press, lad in entertainment industry has a new show.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1054701, member: 2272”]He has a new Tv show starting this week

Profile is his currency[/QUOTE]

Next you’ll be suggesting a lad launching a new book should go on the late late show

The constant focus on depression in the media makes me depressed.

my band played a gig with bressie’s band back in the day. He was sound as a trout. As an anxiety sufferer myself I think what he’s doing is marvellous.

I have no opinion on this matter.

The way the country’s gone or going, now appears to be based, not on the number of houses or villas in Bulgaria you “owned”, but how mad in the fucking head all this
“wealth” - imagined or otherwise, was driving you…This Breslin lad is a chamelon of the highest order.

You’re a fucking nobody (unless one already) yon’ daft referee (Nelis) yer lad Conor C***** and all of those other attention seeking fuckers. A cop-out job…

[QUOTE=“Boxtyeater, post: 1054754, member: 246”]The way the country’s gone or going, now appears to be based, not on the number of houses or villas in Bulgaria you “owned”, but how mad in the fucking head all this
“wealth” - imagined or otherwise, was driving you…This Breslin lad is a chamelon of the highest order.

You’re a fucking nobody (unless one already) yon’ daft referee (Nelis) yer lad Conor C***** and all of those other attention seeking fuckers. A cop-out job…[/QUOTE]

Fairly typical of an old lad from the Wesht. Suppose you would send a lad with depression to the priest to say a few rounds of the rosary.

I listened to Bressie on Irishman abroad podcast and it changed my perceptions of him completely. I thought he spoke very well and articulated well complexities to do with mental health. His own experiences were very interesting and I found it terrific.

As an aside I know Marian Finucane gets a lot of criticism here but she is unparalleled in how she deals with topic of mental health. She listens very well and has facilitated some superb discussions.

[QUOTE=“Mac, post: 1054703, member: 109”]I’ve heard Breslin speak in person at the Cycle against suicide and spoke with him along the cycle. He’s very much an alright sort and anyone with his profile speaking out about this kind of thing can only be a good thing in my opinion./QUOTE]

Respectfully disagree mac. I think some damage can bine done when public figures speak out and their comments are ill informed and can in fact lead to an increased stigma in some instances.

For example I think Donal Walsh did huge amount of good but some of his comments on suicide and mental health were in my opinion harmful and showed a lack of understanding. Comparing life circumstances and telling people with mental health problems to move on doesn’t work. Part of stigmatisation can be guilt around feeling unwell. Telling people who feel unwell that they shouldn’t feel unwell because they are from a developed country or their physical health is good or they have a family who loves them can sometimes only lead to increased guilt and it is simply pushing the problem down the road (only for it to emerge stronger). In reality there are people who suffer from mental health problems in every country and from every socio economic background. Making people feel bad about feeling bad is not the answer in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Respectfully disagree mac. I think lot of damage can ensue when public figures speak out and their comments are ill informed. It can in fact lead to an increased stigma.

For example I think Donal Walsh did huge amount of good but some of his comments on suicide and mental health were in my opinion harmful and showed a lack of understanding. Comparing life circumstances and telling people with mental health problems to move on doesn’t work. Part of stigmatisation can be guilt around feeling unwell. Telling people who feel unwell that they shouldn’t feel unwell because they are from a developed country or their physical health is good or they have a family who loves them, can sometimes only lead to increased guilt and it is simply pushing the problem down the road (only for it to emerge stronger). In reality there are people who suffer from mental health problems in every country and from every economic background. Making people feel bad about feeling bad (even if done unintentionally) can be a dangerous path to go down in my opinion and this can happen sometimes when public figures with good motives speak out.

[QUOTE=“Spidey, post: 1054669, member: 289”]Harbz has also called himself an alcoholic cos he goes mad on the beer once every 6 weeks.

Bressie is a self publicist of the highest order. Gave up Christmas last year to train in Lanzarote for an iron man and made sure the world knew about it.

Reminds me of Robbie Williams in the early 00’s who Noel Gallagher took the piss out of.
“Cancer - I’ve had that. Twin Towers, I was in that. Alzheimer’s - errr have I had that?”[/QUOTE]
“The fat dancer from take that” he described him as. :):clap:

[QUOTE=“Raymond Crotty, post: 1054826, member: 25”]Respectfully disagree mac. I think some damage can bine done when public figures speak out and their comments are ill informed and can in fact lead to an increased stigma in some instances.

For example I think Donal Walsh did huge amount of good but some of his comments on suicide and mental health were in my opinion harmful and showed a lack of understanding. Comparing life circumstances and telling people with mental health problems to move on doesn’t work. Part of stigmatisation can be guilt around feeling unwell. Telling people who feel unwell that they shouldn’t feel unwell because they are from a developed country or their physical health is good or they have a family who loves them can sometimes only lead to increased guilt and it is simply pushing the problem down the road (only for it to emerge stronger). In reality there are people who suffer from mental health problems in every country and from every socio economic background. Making people feel bad about feeling bad (even if done unintentionally) can be a dangerous path to go down in my opinion and this can happen sometimes when public figures with good motives speak out.[/QUOTE]

I get what you mean Larry but I still see the fact that that conversation has been provoked as a good thing.

[QUOTE=“Raymond Crotty, post: 1054824, member: 25”]I listened to Bressie on Irishman abroad podcast and it changed my perceptions of him completely. I thought he spoke very well and articulated well complexities to do with mental health. His own experiences were very interesting and I found it terrific.

As an aside I know Marian Finucane gets a lot of criticism here but she is unparalleled in how she deals with topic of mental health. She listens very well and has facilitated some superb discussions.[/QUOTE]

What did you like about it so much Ray?

Why ‘the Wesht’?

How has the Wesht proven to be any more backward with regard to mental health issues?

But the conversation had been provoked before that Mac.

In my view a lot of what Bressie has to say concerns just what you have said above - let’s provoke conversation. Pick up the papers, read back on this forum - conversation has been provoked. It is now about the quality of the conversation which, as Ray has said, can be more of a bad thing than a good thing.

Bressie is not to be touched around these parts.