Nóirín O'Sullivan - Former Garda Commissioner

You’d wonder how much shit has been buried over the last 30 years that we’ll never hear about.

Never mind 30 years, imagine the shit they have buried since the foundation of the state.

The vestiges of state need a compliant police force when it comes to arresting political nuisances like Murphy.
The quid pro quo in place has just ran out of control.

You went to a big rugby school didn’t you? I’d imagined you’ve been tea-bagged more times than you know.

1 Like

No.[quote=“Juhniallio, post:104, topic:23972”]
I’d imagined you’ve been tea-bagged more times than you know.
[/quote]

No comment.

Who was it?

Oh did they? Maybe it’s an open competition at Commissioner level. Definitely at everything below Commissioner you have to be in the Gardaí already.

Yes. I was told that at a dinner party the other night and I have no reason to believe it’s not true.

AFAIK that was changed in 2014 when there was an open comp for GC

If it was it was only cosmetic.

Noirin, Frances and Josephine need a shitloads of cosmetics

1 Like

Here’s a start …

1 Like

I think you’re right. It’s still a closed shop for every level beneath that for sure. I would imagine it would be a tough ask to attract a strong external candidate.

Guys, was there a change to the process for completing senior level promotions introduced a while back? It might involve needing ratification from Policing Authority, government etc (correct me if I’m wrong) but before it was formally established Noirin handed out a raft of promotions to her trusty lieutenants. These are the gobshites who flank her at these recurring press conferences where she makes half arsed attempts to defend the indefensible. For example, her husband was promoted and leading the investigation into Superintendent Dave Taylor who recently resumed his duties.

1 Like

Why would it be a tough ask?

As and from January 1st, 2017.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR15000663

Under the legislation, the Authority will, in particular, have responsibility for:

· overseeing the performance by the Garda Síochána of its policing functions under a broad range of headings;

· nominating persons for appointment by the Government to the posts of Garda Commissioner and Deputy Garda Commissioner;

· appointing persons to the ranks of Garda Superintendent, Chief Superintendent and Assistant Commissioner;

· appointing persons to senior positions within the Garda civilian staff;

· determining Garda priorities in relation to policing services;

· approving the 3 year Garda strategy statement;

· approving the annual Garda policing plan;

· establishing a Garda code of ethics; and

· promoting and supporting the continuous improvement of policing in the State.

1 Like

The new Garda Commissioner. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you think it’s an attractive position that senior police personnel around the world would be attracted to move to Ireland for?

Breaking news. These lads have been appointed in the interim

https://youtu.be/gXbYvbR9piA

1 Like

I’d say the post is relatively well paying and in general a piece of piss. Would the general public even have known the Garda commissioner a few years ago?
Rock in, do a bit of reform, blame everything on the previous incumbents, keep the head down for five years. Take a golden handshake.

1 Like