Nothing says Cork like

Dylan’s a friend,I was onto him earlier about that :joy: he’s devastated :roll_eyes:told last time I was unfortunate to get grin there twas scutter

Its better to have loved and lost than never loved at all.

1 Like

:joy:ref Lennox’s,I loved ,they lost
Honestly didn’t venture in there in years

As for Dylan,:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:he’s young, impressionable,and obviously his taste buds are fecked

https://twitter.com/rosney/status/1840851709129834822?s=61&t=MKTryJkJbpuiQojDzsma7g
KCs isn’t a patch on Jackie’s. The pink sauce was a culinary marvel, possibly medical too given its role in preventing and curing the worst effects of hangovers.

Why is it closing?

Split season

7 Likes

Announcing the closure, Frances and Brian Lennox said time had creeped up on them and they were ultimately “unable to cope with the burden of our success”.

Hard to believe they are from cork

8 Likes

Under different management for ages

I flew into Cork Airport from Girona landing at around 10:10pm on Monday June 3rd, 2019. I missed the 10:30pm bus into Cork by a whisker and had to wait until the next bus which didn’t have me into Cork city until around 11:45pm. There was a 1:10am bus to Dublin. I was in the throes of a cold I had picked up in Spain and it was raining. So I did the only sensible thing and walked in the rain from Cork city centre to Jackie Lennox’s on the Bandon Road to “get it off my bucket list”. This is one of only three chippers in Ireland I have visited for chipper tourism. I sat there with me feed in the small eating area listening to Cork people with thick Cork accents who all seemed to know each other and were having tremenjus craic. Everybody seemed to know each other and was in great form. I then walked back into Cork city in the rain and got on an aircoach to Dublin, falling asleep in a hape of nose discharge.

I like Cork people and it perplexes me why this establishment I walked a mile and a half in the rain to get grub in is closing.

9 Likes

Handy and dangerous walk boy from there,
Few ppl killed over the year’s.

We surely have the best chippers in Ireland at this stage?

You’ll have the potato pie connoisseurs klaxon sound any minute now.

1 Like

Done it many times over the years. Was in all those pubs along Bandon road many times in my younger years albeit I would not have been a regular by any means. You’d meet some interesting characters. Pure salt of the earth types. Good few professional drinkers too. Never got into any trouble thank God and places like Tom Lynchs, The Gallows, Bradleys, Southside you’d definitely stand out. You were always welcome even if it did resemble a scene from a wild west movie. I dont know how many of those pubs reoppened after Covid. Fairly poor part of Cork and very working class people and custodians who’d put up with the infiltration of spoilt college students is probably how I’d best describe it. As You’d wander down towards end of Barrack St to places like Barrys, Fordes and Flying enterprise the edginess defintely wasnt half as palpable. Still, Great times.

Will take the 2 kids up to Jackies later for old times sake. It can be 2024s Sir Henrys.

7 Likes

Is Jackie’s the last real chipper in Cork?

We do, in fairness lennox was up there in fairness

1 Like

Murphys on the northside is a good chipper.

No good to you as you can’t cross the river

7 Likes

Golden Fry in Ballinlough.
Murphys are 2 that come to mind.

3 Likes

We said the same in our house. Have had Lennox’s quite a few times, great chips and battered sausages. Burgers are the finest, chicken excellent. But haven’t been there for around 3 years I’d say.

2 Likes

The best chipper in Cork in my lifetime was Mattie Kielys on Maylor street, closed a long time now, chips were absolute perfection, the battered cod was to die for.
In truth Lennox’s was no better than Dino’s or various local chippers around, but they were very consistent.

I love Limerick but there isn’t a good chipper in the town, lots of grand chippers but that’s as far as I’d go.

KCs can’t be compared to the Lennox’s etc of the world, a different type of place altogether