OTB (Off The Ball)

Friday evening is without doubt the worst evening of OTB by miles.

2 Likes

Thursday football with Johnny Giles gets an honourable mention

1 Like

You have to judge each night on its merits.

1 Like

Andy Lee joins OTB

Presume this means his boxing days over?

And within six months so will his broadcasting career.

2 Likes

Andy is a very likeable fellow, and seems a smart guy.

My point exactly.

I’ve met him a number of times through work and he’s an absolute gent.

1 Like

He’ll be deadly on the crappy quiz.

He’s mates with my brother in law.

Sound as a pound

Woolie blazed a trail for all these guys, Kilbane, Driscoll, Lee.

1 Like

An ex-player turning to punditry was a fairly ballsy innovative move alright

11 Likes

I highly doubt any of the three aforementioned are doing it for a living, more to do with getting them out of the house now and again.

Pundit? Hardly. Woolie was a presenter mate. A proper journalist.

Woolie is probably the smartest man to ever come out of Laois

Thats a big compliment, a very very very big compliment.

A fairly low bar in fairness.

4 Likes

Nice interview with Sky’s pdc (Parkinson’s Dave Clark) darts presenter tonight, by the excellent Joe Molloy.

Dave is a lovely fellow and a fine presenter, even if the darts that he has to present is second rate and his job is to pretend it isn’t…

1 Like

Dave couldn’t get a job with the bdo,wasn’t racist so didn’t fit in.

From the Indo.

Off The Ball host Ger Gilroy has questioned whether Munster should have signed South African second row Gerbrandt Grobler, who previously served a two-year doping ban.

The 25-year-old joined Munster last summer, and is in line to make his debut this weekend after an injury-hit start to the season.

However, now that his first appearance is on the horizon, questions have been raised about Grobler’s past, after he served a two-year ban following a positive test for the anabolic steroid drostanolone as a 22-year-old with Western Province.

Munster boss Johann van Graan addressed the issue at his press conference yesterday, saying that ‘everybody makes mistakes’, but speaking on OTB AM this morning, Gilroy took a harder stance.

What does it say to anyone in the Munster academy when a known, confessed drugs cheat who has served a ban for taking an anabolic steroid is brought into the club?," Gilroy asked.

"What does it say to the fans? What do the Munster fans have to say about this? If you are a sponsor, are you happy to be associated with the fact that this guy is representing Munster, the province and by extension, Irish rugby, and the brands that are associated with it?

"I just don’t think enough of a conversation has been had about this. I don’t really feel very comfortable with the fact that Irish rugby has decided that we are going to be the ones who help drug cheats rehabilitate their reputation.

"I understand that people do a crime, serve the time and need to be rehabilitated so there is a bit of conflict in that aspect to it. Maybe if he has decided to dedicate his life to a drug-free spot, fair enough, I can see something in that but we haven’t see that so far.

“More of a conversation needs to be had around this and frankly, I don’t think Munster should be spending money rehabilitating drugs cheats.”

Grobler spent the 2016/17 season at Racing 92 after completing his ban, the team who Munster will face in a crucial Champions Cup game in Paris this Sunday.