Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

Maybe i over egged it a bit but i was replying to a post which claimed Screeney was a one man band.

2 Likes

Never back down!!!

Ah fuck it. Fighting with lads on here is a pointless and generally unfulfilling pursuit.

I dont even know who you are anymore.

1 Like

Rule Number 1 of the INTERNET.

Never, ever admit to being wrong.

I find most u20 teams these days are mostly made up of younger guys. Teams usually only have about 5/6 starters on the age

1 Like

That was always the case.

How many 19 year old’s had Clare in 2012? Limerick in 2015?

Carlow is a great venue for these matches.

It’s great that they get a good game now and then for sure. Some traffic heading that way from Offaly yesterday evening

Ah it’s a bit of a kip. They didn’t even bother opening some of the women’s toilets yesterday at a sold out game.

Did you manage to hold it in?

2 Likes

I had only ever experienced Netwatch Dr. Cullen Park as a player prior to attending the 2018 All-Ireland preliminary quarter final.

A fine venue, with some of the friendliest stewards I’ve encountered. Upon entering, I went to buy a programme and was greeted with a hearty “Welcome to Carlow” You wouldn’t get that from a buck-toothed yokel in Ennis and the Thurles sisterfuckers would be more likely to spit at you.

4 Likes

I think that selectors at that age group, more than minor, will more likely go for a younger guy if it’s a 50/50 call. On the basis that the experience might stand to them more and they may be better next year.

It obviously doesn’t 100% work or there would be more people on the age sometimes. Arguably, it’s counter-productive in terms of overall development too but I believe that’s the thinking.

1 Like

Probably a bit of familiarity breeding contempt though. When I used to support Wexford, you’d often get a huge welcome when you’d go off the beaten track. Bit of a novelty factor on each side. Auld wans trying to force feed you with sandwiches up in hurling games in Antrim or somewhere but familiar foes wouldn’t be too arsed interacting with each other (aside from the respectful Cork-Tipp rivalry).

Why would a Clare steward in Ennis welcome you to Carlow?

1 Like

Fantastic to see all the kids invading the pitch after. You wouldn’t get that in July as they’ll all be on holidays. Split season has been excellent promotion for the Gaa.

2 Likes

Saw this on twitter earlier - I’d say 12 of the 24 man panel for Tipp played senior championship hurling. A fair auld return

1 Like

12 is right. Joey McLoughney would have had too if he didn’t emigrate. Ryan is goals is probably the best club player in Tipp not to play championship in the last 15 years.

1 Like

Where did Joey emigrate too?

Is that the “best” minor side as in lads who went to senior. Some brilliant players. That subs bench

Joey McLoughney left for Australia just before the 2011 County Quarter Final. He was Toome’s main man that year and they won the North but bombed out to Drom in the Quarter Final.

It was a big surprise he wasn’t on the Tipp panel that year with Tommy Dunne involved.

Anyway he was back in late 2012 and was on the panel under Eamon O’Shea for 2013 but never made much impact.