Official All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Final 2009 Thread: KK vs Tipp

He cost Tipp the game.

End of.

Fact.

Etc Etc.

It’s fairly amusing to see Tipp whining about the officials. It’s not as if they’re not in the plus column when it comes to refereeing errors. And anyway, it’s not as if it was a bizarre decision. It was only a borderline penalty call. It’s not as if Tipp had a frre to win the game, and the referee ran down the field and gave Kilkenny a penalty for some widely ignored technicality. Now I’d imagine most people here have too much self respect to descend into the kind of taunting Tipp seem to go for when the roles are reversed, but there’s no denying the hystronics on PV is bringing a smile to a lot of people’s faces. There’s always next year lads.

couldnt agree more.

had a bit of sympathy for them yesterday but 10 minutes on PV put paid to that.
delighted for the cunts. what goes around…
oh the glory of it.

WE won’t stand for our supporters being assaulted – that’s the message from an angry Kilkenny grassroots as the controversy over this year’s hurling final pitch invasion continues to rage.

Amid claims that some fans were assaulted in the chaotic aftermath of the All-Ireland hurling showpiece, clubs in Kilkenny are demanding that their County Board lodge an official complaint with Croke Park over the fiasco.

According to one prominent Kilkenny club official, there should be no repeat of the “dangerous” situation which arose when thousands of Cats supporters ran on to the pitch to celebrate their team’s historic four-in-a-row success.

Delegates at this week’s County Board meeting have already proposed and seconded a motion to lodge an official complaint.

Carrigeen delegate Pat Dunphy, who is also an elected member of Kilkenny County Council, proposed that the “Board write a letter to Director General, Paraic Duffy, outlining their dissatisfaction with the whole situation and asking that fans be allowed on to the field for the presentation after All-Ireland finals”.

“The GAA can throw out all the excuses it likes about this, but a dangerous situation developed at Croke Park that day,” Dunphy commented .

“Having stewards chasing people around the pitch and kicking out at them didn’t look good,” he added. “We should contest this issue vigorously.” The proposal was seconded by Pat Hayes from the Graigue-Ballycallan club.

Hayes claimed that a Kilkenny supporter was struck by a steward and said that children had been put in danger by the plan to present the Liam McCarthy Cup on the pitch rather than on the Hogan Stand.

“Whoever had the idea to bring the young children onto the field with flags was wrong,” he insisted. “The children were put in danger.”

Kilkenny chairman, Paul Kinsella, told delegates that officers had already outlined their unease on this issue to Croke Park officials, but Dunphy insisted that a letter of complaint should be dispatched.

No vote was taken on the matter and it is understood that the final decision on whether to lodge the complaint will be taken by the county’s executive.

Despite several attempts by the Irish Independent, a Croke Park spokesman couldn’t be contacted for comment last night.

• Donnchadh Boyle

There should be a putsch by the grassroots to get the tossers running Croke Park out, let them take their smugby, soccer and Bono with them on the way out.

I think they’re doing a great job up there in Croker, making a fortune for the grassroots. Shameful if they injured fans the last day, but weren’t these fans told not to enter the field? Surely you’re entering sat your own risk then?

I was on Croker twice in the last week, and strolled on with no fuss whatsoever.

I applaud Kilkenny though for going about this in the right way, approaching it from the boardroom level, and preventing scenes like this again. However having seen the last 2 weeks I think this has already happened anyway.

The GAA is not about Money…its what separates us from the rest.

You’ll do fuck all without money in this day and age. Thats a very silly view. Have you ever been involved in the running of a GAA Club or even a County Board?

I applaud the GAA for this increased revenue stream in these difficult times.

[quote=“tipptops*”]WE won’t stand for our supporters being assaulted – that’s the message from an angry Kilkenny grassroots as the controversy over this year’s hurling final pitch invasion continues to rage.

Amid claims that some fans were assaulted in the chaotic aftermath of the All-Ireland hurling showpiece, clubs in Kilkenny are demanding that their County Board lodge an official complaint with Croke Park over the fiasco.

According to one prominent Kilkenny club official, there should be no repeat of the “dangerous” situation which arose when thousands of Cats supporters ran on to the pitch to celebrate their team’s historic four-in-a-row success.

Delegates at this week’s County Board meeting have already proposed and seconded a motion to lodge an official complaint.

Carrigeen delegate Pat Dunphy, who is also an elected member of Kilkenny County Council, proposed that the “Board write a letter to Director General, Paraic Duffy, outlining their dissatisfaction with the whole situation and asking that fans be allowed on to the field for the presentation after All-Ireland finals”.

“The GAA can throw out all the excuses it likes about this, but a dangerous situation developed at Croke Park that day,” Dunphy commented .

“Having stewards chasing people around the pitch and kicking out at them didn’t look good,” he added. “We should contest this issue vigorously.” The proposal was seconded by Pat Hayes from the Graigue-Ballycallan club.

Hayes claimed that a Kilkenny supporter was struck by a steward and said that children had been put in danger by the plan to present the Liam McCarthy Cup on the pitch rather than on the Hogan Stand.

“Whoever had the idea to bring the young children onto the field with flags was wrong,” he insisted. “The children were put in danger.”

Kilkenny chairman, Paul Kinsella, told delegates that officers had already outlined their unease on this issue to Croke Park officials, but Dunphy insisted that a letter of complaint should be dispatched.

No vote was taken on the matter and it is understood that the final decision on whether to lodge the complaint will be taken by the county’s executive.

Despite several attempts by the Irish Independent, a Croke Park spokesman couldn’t be contacted for comment last night.

• Donnchadh Boyle

There should be a putsch by the grassroots to get the tossers running Croke Park out, let them take their smugby, soccer and Bono with them on the way out.[/quote]

:popcorn::clap::guns::clap::clap::clap:

Kerry have lent their weight to the ongoing debate about post-match presentations at Croke Park.

Kerry County Board chairman Jerome Conway believes that the recent problems after the Kilkenny v Tipperary hurling final arose because of aggravation between supporters and stewards.

And he also suggests that the GAA’s preferred option of on-pitch celebrations does not allow everyone in the ground a full view of the presentation.

Speaking of last Sunday’s Kerry celebrations in the Irish Examiner, Conway said: 'My understanding is that the stewards opened the gates and there were no problems.

‘The difficulty seems to arise when there is aggravation between supporters and stewards at the gates and people are jumping fences.’

The Kilkenny County Board are expected to lodge a formal complaint with Croke Park after allegations that some of their fans were assaulted by stewards as they tried to gain access to the pitch after their win over Tipp.

However, Conway was not impressed with the on-pitch presentation that took place after the Minor Football final, which was won by Armagh.

He added: 'I was interested to look at the minor presentation. I felt that only people in the Hogan Stand could see what was happening. If you were in the Cusack Stand you couldn’t see anything.

‘I’m not against the idea of presenting the trophy in the centre of the field, but if there is going to be an alternative it should be visible to everybody.’

The last paragraph is worth pointing out. The stupid cunts turned off the big screens for the minor presentation so the crowds in the Cusack could see fuck all bar the backs of the players. As for that goon talking shite in before presenting the trophy…

That lad is an embarrassment to himself. And he’s also an embarrassment to the GAA given they provide him with the platform to talk utter bollox for ages before handing over the trophy to the captain. At the hurling final, he told a cringeworthy anecdote about the Kilkenny/Tipperary rivalry as part of his speech while the Galway minor captain was standing there with a look that said, ‘Eh, are you going to give me the fucking trophy or what?’

I only rewatched this game this morning for the first time since I was at it. Funny how history rewrites itself but Kilkenny were blessed to win that game. Eoin Kelly and Callanan missed sitters in the second half when kk were playing terribly. Sending off was obviously huge too. In the fullness of time that kk team was probably overrated.

2 Likes

I was at it. People cream themselves about the peak of kk hurling being oh nine, but tipp were better.

Well why didn’t they win then?

They didn’t take their goal chances and Kk got a questionable penalty

They didn’t take their goal chances, but they were better?

I never said they were better . I am giving reasons why they didn’t win .

They hadn’t found the Eye of the Tiger yet.

I hate, as I’m sure you do mate, this shite 9 years on " ah sure team a were steeped to win it, sure team b were far better technically". I’d imagine Tipp people would be embarrassed to see this shite.

It was a wonderful game & a privilege to be in attendance, pal.

It would have been nice to win it but we got there 12 months later. It was a terribly inexperienced squad truth told but they learned from it & found The Eye of the Tiger in July 2010 thankfully.

1 Like

Cody was the difference