Official Aston Villa v Man Utd Carling CUP final thread

United made the better chances. Wayne Rooney and Valencia double act yet again. Its great to win a trophy and hopefully United shall push on from here for a good shot at Premiership and European Glory. I hope the word Fergie had with Capello was saying Rooney will not be fit for England on Wednesday. :lol:

Carling Cup is only a pile of wank anyway. :smiley:

United the better side. Pitch was a factor certainly. Ref bottled early red card for Vidic. Berbatov was excellent I felt, Rooney took a good while to get into the game but once he did he was superb. Valencia superb in the second half, Park superb in the first. Carrick had a decent game too. Though I felt Milner was the best central midfielder on view marginally. Fine open game of football and we played some very good stuff at times.

Good to be part of a Cup final but 4th place in the league is far more important in the greater scheme of things. We will be faves to advance in the FA quarters too. Learned a lot today actually. On a heavy pitch, the older slower players like Petrov and Heskey struggled badly. Both should have been replaced long before the end. We need to find a quicker defensive midfielder to partner Milner if we are to progress. Not sure if Delph is that player either. MON abdicated responsibility by not proactively replacing them today. Fergie on the other hand is always proactive. Would MON have had the balls to drop someone like Rooney and see the bigger picture? Carlos Cuellar at right back ahead of Luke Young is another thing Fergie would never countenance. Though in fairness Cuellar wasnt too bad today but Young is a footballer not a stopper and his quicker movement would have been better suited to Park defensively too. Substitutions, their timing and the lack of them are another ongoing disappointment with MON. How Emile Heskey lasted the 90 mins today only MON can know. Tactically we defended far too deep. I know there may have been a worry over the pitch but we had to be braver and push up. The extra space was used well by the United forwards. England world cup fans will have been very worried by Warnock at left back today.

On the plus side, and there were many pluses. Collins and Dunne recovered after a nervy opening. Milner had a fine game and used the ball better than I have seen him at any stage this season. Downing had quite a good game. Used the ball very well. Ashley Young had a fine game. Had the beating of Evra but used the ball very well too. Was moved onto Gary Neville but we couldnt get him onto the ball much near the end as we hoofed it forward. Gabby was absolutely superb today up front. That is a core of young attacking players that all showed great form today which is a great sign for the future.

Friedel 6, Cuellar 6, Collins 6, Dunne 6, Warnock 4, Young 8, Milner 8, Petrov 4, Downing 7, Heskey 4, Gabby 8.

Pole 6, Rafael 6, Vidic 5, Evans 5, Evra 6, Valencia 8, Carrick 7, Fletcher 6, Park 8, Owen 7, Berbatov 8, Rooney 8.

Is this thing like the McGrath cup? Clare won that years ago.

Similar enough. Pitch would be better for the Mcgrath Cup though. Would have been our second trophy this year after the glorious Peace Cup victory earlier in the year.

As stated before on this forum, the semi final was the real final. Tough luck to the forums Villa supporter Rintintin.

Thanks for yesterday. :wink:

Thanks for the kind words MBB didn’t get to see the game as i was playing a match myself, would have been nice to win the Carling cup. Just saw some of the highlights a few mins ago, how did Vidic get away with out getting a card? He has gone a way back in the last 6months.