Official Euro 2012 thread

I have to say Kev, that most English people I speak to are under no illusions about their national team. I had a workmate from Sputhampton showing me some bulldog England, xenophobic foreigner piece from the Daily Mail after the Spain game, he was laughing at pundits thinking they could compete now.

Gola makes a good point, we should enjoy it, but I don’t think the expectations are high, which is a probably a good thing. At the very least, it will be good for the players to experience this, it will obviously help their development as internationals and hopefully it will put us in a decent position to qualify for 2014 from a difficult group.

In saying that, this team is more than capable of causing an upset.

I’d agree with me oul pal KIB Man, this should be a wonderful tournament, which Germany will win in a canter, a prelude to their triumph in 2014.

Pot 1: Poland, Ukraine, Spain, Netherlands
Pot 2: Germany, Italy, England, Croatia
Pot 3: Greece, Sweden, Russia, Portugal
Pot 4: Ireland, Czech, Denmark, France

Spain, Italy/Germany, Portugal, France would be some group.

The best for us imo:
Poland/Ukraine for obvious reasons.
Croatia are probably the worst 2nd seeds, but I’d prefer Ingerland. The rivalary, similar style of football etc, we’d give them a rattle anyway.
Sweden/Russia. I wouldn’t fear any of the third seeds, but would prefer these two. Portugal, while they are obviously miles ahead of us, have regressed. The Russians seemed to be getting worse as the qualifying went on so I wouldn’t be worried if we drew them. Trying to grind something out against those Greeks wouldn’t be attractive IMO. They looked a decent and well organised side from what I saw. I know nothing about Sweden.

Worst draw for us,
Spain,
Italy,
Portugal,
Ireland.

We’d have to hear the group of debt joke 500 times between now and then, aswell as an early exit.

There is no easy draw in the Euros. I think the best we can hope for is to be based in Poland

Russia made bits of us over 2 games. Defo don’t want them.

I reckon Portugal are flaky enough. Ronaldo and Nani are obviously class but they leak a lot of goals and I watched them recently where Denmark beat the pants off them. Was listening to Jonathan Wilson speak about them recently. Reckons they have been shit at the back since Carvalho left and Boswinga won’t play under the current manager again either.

The winner of that group gets to stay in the euro and the rest get fucked out. Could solve all debt problems in Europe. :slight_smile:

Greece are obviously a team we want. I honestly think there is nothing to fear there and be confident of us getting a positive result against 11-12 teams in the tournament.

Holland and Germany are the two teams to avoid for us in pot 1 and 2.

Spain and Italy would struggle to break us down as we are extremely organised. Much more of a varied goal threat in the Dutch and German sides. Poland and Ukraine would be excellent draws in pot 1. England and Croatia would be the best draws in pot 2 and Sweden and Greece in pot 3.

We’ll win the fuckin thing.

Croatia are in pot 3 arent they? they had to beat Turkey at home I thought to bump up to pot 2 at Russias expense?

Yes Gman. Russia are in Pot 2 and Croatia are in Pot 3. Other than that basic and ridiculous mistake, KIB man’s seedings are correct.

Do we need a separate thread for draw predictions?

A good group for us would be

Poland
England
Greece
Ireland

Each of those sides in beatable. Yes even the mighty English are beatable. :slight_smile:

We certainly do.

We can use this thread for generic Euro 2012 buildup stuff.

Capello has given an interview to RAI today saying he wasn’t involved in the Terry captaincy decision, he doesn’t agree with it and he still considers him England captain.

They could have grounds for firing him over that.

Big call to make before a championship.

If Terry is found not guilty the FA could be well and truly fucked.

They’d still have their own disciplinary case that they are waiting to bring after the legal trial. So you;d imagine they’d just find him guilty in that regardless.

How so? Should that not be if Terry is found guilty?

How is Terry veiwed by the rest of the England team, is he a hero or zero?

zero, reportedly.

Terry could potentially sue the FA for loss of earnings etc by dropping him as captain. Reinstating Terry as captain was a terrible decision by Capello but there are few enough alternatives. Aside from Joe Hart and Ashley Cole there probably isn’t another player assured
of his spot. Cole doesn’t want it either. With this and maybe more importantly a load of their players in poor form, they look to be heading to the Euros in a shambolic state.

Nice shot of JT hugging a black guy think it was
Ramires in the stand after one of the goals yesterday.

He is hardly a secret to anyone with a passing interest in the Spanish league. But said I would throw it up anyway

Spain’s best kept secret

By Miguel Delaney
Monday, February 06, 2012
With Spain’s top two recognised strikers injured or out of form, Ireland could face an even bigger threat in Gdansk on June 14
For possibly the first time since their remarkable span of success began, Spain are faced with a real selection problem. And not of the kind managers usually chuckle about.

Quite simply, a side that have recently struggled to convert their possession into goals don’t know who’s going to lead the line. The two strikers who fired their last two tournament wins are likely to be missing for very different reasons. David Villa may not have recovered from a broken leg. Fernando Torres may not yet have broken an appalling goal drought.

As such, Vicente Del Bosque may have to break the mould.

But then it’s possible that Athletic Bilbao’s Fernando Llorente already has.

By rights, the 26-year-old would be the stand-out forward had he been born in any other country. In every sense. At 6ft 3ins and 14 stone, he is a rare mix of power and poise — a combination that has inevitably made him one of the most prolific and sought-after strikers in Spain.

The problem for most of Llorente’s international career, however, is that he has grown up on the fringes of a supremely successful squad defined by its diminutive-but-dynamic forwards.

This summer, though, Llorente’s variety could end up solving a problem for Del Bosque.

He has, after all, done so before.

It was the 58th minute of the World Cup second round match and Spain’s otherwise quicksilver attack was struggling to break down a resolute Portuguese side.

Clearly, something needed to be changed. Many on the line were looking to Cesc Fabregas, Silva or Pedro. Del Bosque, though, was only looking to Llorente. Torres went off, the Bilbao man went on.

And, within just three minutes, he had helped create the only goal in a moment that perfectly illustrated his qualities. Using his strength, Llorente first held off and distracted the Portuguese centre-halves. Then, using his subtle technique, he flicked the ball on so David Villa could exploit that extra space.

It was Llorente’s only appearance of the tournament. But it did illustrate his value. And that may well rise substantially this summer.

Because, even aside from the issues with Villa, Torres and the team as a whole, Llorente’s sheer form should make it very difficult for Del Bosque to leave him out.

With 12 goals in 18 league games — and eight in his last seven in all competitions — he is the most prolific Spanish player in the world at the moment. And, as if to emphasise the fact that he should be competing at the highest level possible, he has scored against both Barcelona and Real Madrid this season while also taking Athletic Bilbao to the brink of the Copa del Rey final.

That form follows a remarkable upward curve in his career since he first started proving his potential around 2008. Although Llorente was the second top scorer behind Lionel Messi in the 2005 Under-20 World Cup, it took him a while to properly figure out how to make his physicality and finesse work in tandem.

That eventually came. But it’s only been this season that Llorente has added the final ingredient for a truly world-class formula: ferocity. And part of the credit must go to his new boss at Bilbao, Marcelo Bielsa. At 26, Llorente might have opportunely come across the key coach of his career.

Bielsa has been purposely bullish with the striker, demanding more from his game to enhance the Argentine’s unique approach. As well as finishing moves, Llorente has been required to drop off more, link play and — crucially — press.

The net result of all that is that Spain’s selection problem may not be a problem at all. Indeed, it may actually prove a key evolution. Llorente’s hybrid style — and the fact he has headed more goals than any other player in Spain since 2008 — may give the side a crucial extra option in attack while also retaining that adhesive passing approach.

In Gdansk, it isn’t difficult to imagine a tight, taut Ireland frustrating Spain’s attack only for Llorente to be lurking in the box late on.

Gerard Pique has described him as one the toughest strikers he’s ever played against. Richard Dunne, then, may well have a problem more pressing than Del Bosque.

Read more: http://www.examiner…l#ixzz1lbRPnBRy