Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

There’s that aspect to it as well. What is going in my sisters kids club though is an U14A side, so anyone on that team is of a reasonably competent standard. A few kids who are two years younger brought up onto the team ahead of kids of comparable levels of ability, and more physically developed as they are two years older.

As @binkybarnes has said, they can probably just about get away with it as rule compliant based of the GAA Official Guide in its current guise. That is exactly the type of practice thought that should be stamped out by a rule change.

I’m told they have 45-46 kids to pick from in the age group and two U12’s are parachuted in.

Ah you cant leave good lads on the line for a final…thats hardly fair on them.

I think you have to at schools level. All about how you explain it to them. Good for egos too to see that it is a team game and everyone is doing their bit by spending time on the line.
It’s really the best way of winning too and avoiding a juhniallo situation

Crazy. You’d reward their commitment and dedication, by leaving them on the line, and starting a lad who most likely, hasn’t put in the same work or desire. Thats some lesson to be teaching. Do fuck all kid, and you’ll start the big game in Croke Park.

That’s just 100pc wrong and shouldn’t be allowed by the club. In a big club with enough players for two u14 teams they’d need to be abdolute prodigies of u12s to be brought up anyway and it doesn’t seem like they are. In my town club growing up loads played up u16 to minor but it was unheard of before then and certainly not at u14. Wouldn’t have even been considered. And that was before people gave a fuck about the feeling of the kids.

1 Like

No I’d start lads who’d made a big effort too but weren’t as good. So wed finish with a stronger team.

I think whats happening with your sisters club is absolutely ridiculous if what you say is right. Seafòideach.
My mate brought his perspective up when a gang of us were out at the weekend and he got hammered for it.

Of all the competitions Feile is nicely setup to help the coach in terms of subs. You have to make subs at a certain stage each half, so very easy leave a stronger lad on the bench and bring him on later. The weaker lad gets the glory of starting but you have the stronger lad coming in to get the job done.

Finishers not subs :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Makes perfect sense. But not starting a good lad in a final in Croke Park is a terrible message to send in an effort to seem PC. I get early rounds, etc, but jaysus, that could be the only chance ever.

So far the last 10 days

Senior training x 3
Senior match x 1
U8 hurling training x 2
U8 hurling blitz x 1
U8 football x 1
U10 LGFA x 1
U12 LGFA referee x 1

7 Likes

Assume you have a newborn - congrats

6 Likes

I remember getting an awful scolding off my manager for subbing one of my teammates off and ordering another lad to come on.If it happened today you’d probably get suspended from the club.

2 Likes

Games in June being rearranged to take account of our players being away in the Gaeltacht. It’s no wonder Dublin intercounty players have such a lovely command of the language.

https://x.com/phd_sean/status/1796205902087000392?t=C7K4ydSt2jisgknq7IVQdQ&s=19

Can anyone explain this in laymans terms?

Young lads with beards are more likely to play county than lads who can’t grow one

2 Likes

Just on the discussion from a weeks back on game time for lads up to the age, there was a football Club in Tipp who didn’t start a bit of a prodigy 15 year old on their Club u17 Minor team in a County Semi Final last December in favour of lads up to the age.

The same 15 year old went on to start every game for the Tipp Minor footballers this spring.

Needless to say when they lost the subsequent County Semi Final AET, there was war in the club, and the coaches had to explain themselves that they were prioritising lads up to the age.

Its a tricky one.

1 Like

War in the club?? Fuck sake. Twas only football

2 Likes

Primarily a football club

Young lads who lose a parent early in life tend to be higher achievers due to having to mature and face the realities of life at an early age.

So, you know what to do.