Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

Care to expand

Left handed who strike off their right as their dominant side?

I’m the same, no idea why. I think it was because everyone else was striking off their right and no one thought to tell me otherwise. I’d say I was nearly twelve before some coach at a gaa summer camp noticed I was tying myself in knots trying to use the same technique as righty’s (i.e. throwing it up with my left and holding the hurley with my weaker right hand). Once he explained what was wrong I fixed it instantly and everything felt better straight away, but I never switched to my left side as it was too late. I often wonder if someone had taught me the right way first day on my left side would it have made a difference because my striking is still average enough even on my strong side.
The good news is those lads bad sides should be easy fix as it’s much more natural to hurl that way. Able to open up the shoulders better. No magic way to improve it only practice. They’ll turn to their lefts to strike once they are comfortable with it.

Spot on.

I’m pretty sure my technique is half the reason why I was so bad at hurling too. I hold the top of the hurley with my left, strike on my right and throw the ball up from underneath my left. It’s pure awkward.

Maybe if my coach had spent more time teaching me how to strike properly instead of abusing his children I’d have done better.

2 Likes

Things like how you hold the hurley etc. Alot of forcing kids to do things a different way. Rarely ends well, usually in cases where the kid really wants to hold it a different way and is firced not to they pack it in.
There is no right way to develop skill. There is a.most suitable for the person themselces. People are self organising, if given the chance kids will figure out. Often thru external factors they develop intrinsic motivations. For instance a kid holding the hurley the “wrong” way but it actually is a poor grip for him will be motivated to change by his friends progression as opposed to the coaches wants.

Hurling is full of drills, its not a static game. I still, unbelievably, see Inter County and Club teams pucking the ball to each other ad-nausum from 10-20M apart thinking its improving their touch. Which is a nonsense. Its improving your ability to hit a ball and trap it from 20m with no pressure.

I have seen players not picked because of their awkward “look” when hurling. Despite the fact they were brilliant athletes and significantly more effective than the tasty fat corner forward who hit 3 frees a game.

How you strike does not matter, as long as you strike. And nowadays its even less important considering the length of your average delivery has changed significantly

1 Like

Or is it because you were told it was wrong and lost confidence?

@TreatyStones has TFK coach of the year wrapped up again this year.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone told me anything. I was a terrible hurler. Used to score a fuck load of goals at 14 and less so at u16, but the vast majority were goal mouth scrambles. I scored 4 points in my life and I kicked two of them.

The closest I got to praise for my hurling was “For a player with very limited ability you can do some great stuff”

I think this proves that you Kerry clowns should stick to the bogball.

2 Likes

Same as myself, that’s the way you should do it except on you’re hurling on your bad side which means your shoulders are narrower than firing it in front to your left and getting a full swing at it. Maybe when you give up the football you should come back to junior b hurling and we’ll see if you missed your chance to be Askeatons Graham Mulcahy :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The last time I played Junior B hurling I ended up midfield on the basis I was the only one still able to run after 50 minutes.

Its funny how Junior B is still used for the drinking types in other counties.

Its the defacto develooment squad in most football clubs in Cork

It’s young lads on the way up and old lads on the way down mate. Same as everywhere.

2 Likes

It’s gone the same in Dublin. Fit little young fuckers who struggle to kick snow off a rope running the baldy, tubby ex legends** around the park. It’s why there’s been a move for over 35s games where clubs are bandying together and organising their own mini leagues. No support from county board on it though.

You need to foster a club too mate. Especially in small areas.
You need a social element to keep people involved within the club. Our junior B wouldn’t really be seen as a “drinking team” but it’s obviously far more relaxed than senior and is a great bridge to keep lads involved out of minor. Especially given the fact the u21 championship isn’t played until the middle of winter the following year.

Not really no

Junior B is greatest balancing act and learning experience you will have as a manager (in terms of player management).
Trying to keep it serious to get the most from the promising young lads, yet keeping it relaxed enough to keep the older and less serious lads involved.

1 Like

Very much like being a TFK administrator.

1 Like

Fuck off you cunt

I think its more important to promote a healthy outlook. Its not that older lads do not play, but they are generally fit.

And if competitions are not being played properly then this is exactly the need for the CPA and clubs to get active.

The way GAA people accept the nonsense bemuses me.

Also, there should be a gealthy over 35’s set up. That will give you a proper social element.

And 9-a-side mid week leagues ala Astro.

Thats where it needs to go.