Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

It’s grand if you’ve a savage senior team and a load of young fellas who aren’t ready yet, but we wouldn’t be able to field a team of 15 young fellas. NAP’s second team is going well at intermediate and their third team is holding their own at junior A which is a fair achievement but we couldn’t dream of a setup like that, we’ll never have the numbers.

Soccer have already baulked at this idea.
Insurance issues apparently.

Thats not my point.

The original point is related to the lack of anyone able to tun at 50 mins.

Sport is for health and enjoyment. Not the odd prelude to a drinking session. I’m not devaluing or underestimating the need for social side. Its just we’re making a fuck of it.

Junior B or any comp should have 15-20 games and a pretty set panel of players.

The GAA is twosting its participation numbers with teams muddled together for championship.

This was a few years back, and the Junior B of a club that were already struggling to field a junior A team.

Soccer has over 35’s. Very healthy one in Cork. All MSL teams play in it and some more.

Insurance is a cop out. What fucking insurance? Over 35’s play in regular championship. Are they not insured?

Its just GAA speak to not do anything.

The Desmond League had a very hotly contested over 35’s league for a few years recently but they put a stop to it over insurance issues. I don’t really know the details.

Things are in much better shape, at least on that score, the last few years. A shot of young lads have come through which means we have a panel. Our current 23-28 group who should have been the young lads when @TreatyStones was togging were all gone at that stage and still haven’t come back. Has left us very lopsided with a team of half old lads & half young lads even at senior level.

Its nonsense.

I’m insured for up to 5M a year for 400 euro and i will meet and train people who may actually be in danger of dying if they train too hard.

Its administrators not giving a fuck and just bailing at first sign of an issue.

Major problem with payout culture in Irelabd though that needs to be addressed on a wider scale. Have a friend who owns a cafe and the insurance paid out on a spurious case last year they would hace won because it was cheaper than paying the lawyers delayed by days of back ups. Now they get at least a call a week from someone chancing their arm or threatening action.

But sure we might as well stop playing sport.

Thats fine but the system shouldn’t change. Thats just the evolution of the thing. To a certain lecel though it should be given same importance as senior team. I know some clubs who even refuse to let County Minors play 1st team till tgey have played a bit of B.

Now in some cases its only B in name. Teams stay B in places like Mid-Cork, Duhallow and West Cork as Junior A can sometimes be as good as Premier Intermediate. So some B comps a highly competitive.

I agree with you Kev, if you could use junior b as a proving ground it would absolutely be the way to go. Just not possible for a lot of smaller clubs to use it solely for that. You’d learn more marking some wily 35 year old forward who’s legs are gone, but the brain is still sharp, than you would in ten training sessions.

I can’t wait for next year.
I’ll give one good year pucking the head off cocky young lads at junior B.

You still playing Senior?

I agree. And i do not have an absolute thing against those types of lads. I am happy for certain lads to turn up for just a game and odd training. As long as those games are regular then its a real team/competition.

I’ve just been ruined by living elsewhere and seeing a better system.

The Aussie system would suit ireland down to the ground. GAA would crush soccer and rugby i 3 months of it. Nothing surer.

The anecdotal stuff i am getting back thru the CPA is telling me the GAA is fucked, big style. It may already be too late.

Trying to anyways

How does that work?

Finally… I’ve been waiting 5 hrs.

Minors, Juniors and seniors play on the same day one after another. Masters play blitz every 2nd or 3rd weekend.

Great social set up

Hows about this one to try have parity.

If you win a game by too much, not only will you not get the win, but you will have points deducted off you.

AFL junior team league, and the mercy rule caps wins at 60 points. So if you beat a team by more than that, you will be deducted points from your league table. Some joke. I get the demoralising effect of being hammered, but there is only so much you can do either. And their problem too in AFL, they couldnt even score own goals, as an own goal still only registers as a point in AFL, not 6 points!

not so surprising.

What should a 6 year old be squatting lads? Our lads are weak as fuck.

1 Like