Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

Very light on actual facts.

A large bag of haribos

2 Likes

@caoimhaoin any good moblity orientated games there I could incorporate into an under 14 session. Preferrably incorporating the ball, or at least some element of basic skills (pick up etc).

Generally do 10 minutes of that type of stuff every session but would like to change it up a bit.

A regular one is standing in a square of multi-coloured cones, they touch whatever sequence of cones is called then run out, pick a ball and carry it past a point.

Nothing like Olympic Handball for teamwork, agility & mobikity and also variety.

Then maybe turn into Olympic Handball wuth 4 goals for change of direction purposes

What are the rules of that?
can’t move once you have possession?

What about crab soccer. They were always making us play that in PE.

1 Like

DJ castigating social media and then using an example that shows bad parenting as being the real problem.

Use that with young wans all the tine, but with baloons

email me, i have a street version rules and all.

Otherwise its one-two pass i play on grass

:eek:

1 Like

You see you are the problem here :joy:

Are you coaching underage in the club these days, pal?

I’m not, pal.

Try a conditional game where hey absolutely HAVE to take their four steps before passing it.
A confined area and you blow every time that they pass it after less that 4 steps. You’d be surprised how many pass// lose the ball before taking their 4 steps.

You are telling them the movement and the constraint does not encourage decision making

1 Like

I get the angle you are coming from but I don’t like imposing unnatural conditions like that. If a good pass is on after 2 steps I’d rather him give it, than take 4 steps for the sake of it and lose the ball. I’d approach it more by telling them you will blow for a foul if an opportunity presents itself to for them to take the four steps and they don’t or if the first thing they do when they get the ball is bounce it. Some players are deadly for that.

Time is a great constraint. 3 secs on ball.

I did a support play invasion game the other day with a camogie team who had poor support play and no off the shoulder running.
We did the looping rugby drill first to emphasize the support aspect in a simple manner. Then played below.
I call it “earn the right”. As in you earn the right to attack.
Team A are all lined up on endline, Team B on 65. Team A bring out the ball on whistle and are trying to carry ball over 65. If they do Team B have to run down to opposite 21 and start again. If not and team B intercept then they attack immediately. And whoever scores retains the ball.
They will be all over the place for a while but patience is the key. The other night they were tunning at angles for the pass and all sorts after 10-12 mins. Its highly effective.

Next week i’ll give them a time constraint of maybe 10 secs working down to 7

3 Likes

Camogie. :smile:

Do you have daughters?

I do

They play normal sports