Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

This goes along with my point.

People will keep a club going, but they will throw their hat at a Minor or even Junior C or D team.

They ruined the chance of a sustainable league in WA by letting clubs grow hige when popukation of irish was up instead of creating new clubs. B teams in ex pat community was always going to fail once numbers slowed.

In a different way thats what will happen in dublin.

But if course this all comes down to a change in attitude from Croke Park

In an ideal world what you are suggesting would happen Kev. But it’s not going to happen. Dcb can’t set up a club without volunteers. Who is going to volunteer for the thankless task of building a club from scratch when there are already several well established clubs down the road?

What is happening out there is some of Crokes less illustrious neighbours are growing themselves. Naomi Olaf in particular. Also Ballinteer, Stars of Erin and Ranalagh Gaels have made good progress in recent years.

3 Likes

What do you mean without voluteers?

Who is minding the club teams now?

Its just a compketely lazt attitude the GAA has to development. It actually hasn’t a clue how to develop its games

It’s one thing getting volunteers to mind a club team. It’s another thing altogether to get volunteers to literally build a club from scratch. Where do you start? Recruit players and mentors. Equipment, funding and most critically in Dublin pitches. There is a chronic shortage of pitches for the existing clubs in Dublin. If you were in DCB where would you go about finding people willing to take something like thos on?

1 Like

The people are there.

Who is coaching/organising etc in Crokes now?

Dublin has done a great job to date in promoting the sports. Now i think it can go to another level.

Crokes people set up the club.

There is an emotional attachment forever that can last generations when setting up anything. Crokes (as an example, i’m talking the entire country gere btw) has plenty educated successful people. Many whom i absolutely assure you are hiding behind others who may be more forceful or more “gah” or whatever.

Everything about Dublin gaa is contrived.
Super clubs where nobody knows each other. Club hopping transfers as standard. County football team receiving their dinner from a courier. 10,000 on ‘hill16’ not aware ofa club championship. Manufacturing hurlers. Manufacturing hurling managers.

5 Likes

Exactly, and that’s why they are so passionate and involved in this club. You actually expect same people will have no problem if their club was divided in two? Seriously, just think about that.

1 Like

Dublin should really be following the Limerick model alright :smile:

1 Like

I found myself nodding my head in agreement with that

No, you misunderstand. Crokes people set up the new club.

You cannot tell me that everyone in that club is totally invested and agrees with evety approach and all that?

No way.

As TUM said already, plenty in the club think its too big. I hear the same in smaller clubs in Cork.

I saw himdreds of kids in a club a few weeks ago i was working with. They do not know what they are doing. They have similar numbers (30+ every year) for years. Yet they only togged out 18 this year for u16 championship. Now that is different to Crokes. But that can haplen in a flash.

You seem to be involved or know people involved and are emotively defending anti-logic.

Either peoe want the GAA to grow or they want “every man for themselves”

Which is it?

kev can be sure that the same people who bitch about the club being too big would be the very last to get up off their ass to put in the hard yards to get a new club off the ground. Absolute fact.

1 Like

I am 100% sure there are people in clubs like that who would help set up a new club.

And i am not talking about bitches. In fact its the ones who stay silent and eventually walk away are the ones you want. Very often just fed up of the nonsense

Clonmel Óg in Tipperary are only about 30 years old I’d say. Have been Senior in Football, have beaten their neighbours Commercials in Senior club championship. The shit their founders had to put up with from Commercials and other clubs was unbelievable. Club was founded because town was too big for one club

Ah kev will you stop, i dunno what kind of clubs you see where all the hidden gems are staying silent. FFS, speak up and get involved and be counted instead of doing fuck all because you don’t agree with something, have these people any backbone??

Very often they do. But alot of people just cannot be bothered fighting the govshites who do take hold sometimes.

I would say there are both kinds.

Not everyone is like you and me, willing to put the head up

Well if they’re not willing to put their hand up I’m not sure they’re the type to be able to build a club from scratch to be honest

2 Likes

I disagree. I think people are more nuanced than that and circumstances can dictate someones motivation alot.

Alot of people jus don’t think its worth the fight.

And someti es thats right as well.

Dublin have contrived to manufacture the winning of 5 of the last 7 all Irelands.

Are they not a club for past it muldoons?

I’m pretty sure that’s what they started out as but they started a juvenile section a few years ago and it’s thriving afaik