Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

I know him, hes coached a few teams around galway, in fairness has done every course imaginable and is very well read. Getting rave reviews, he was trending one night which shook a few roasters

1 Like

He was with Claregalway when they won the intermediate? We played a few challenges against them, he seemed like a sound enough lad.

Thats him

He has long hair it seems. Nuff said.

Reading this at the moment. It’s only 160 or so pages. It’s very much geared towards coaching children from u5 to u12, but plenty of little bits you could bring across to any level. It’s not a book of drills or games, it’s more about how you interact with the children and plan your sessions in a more holistic manner.

It’s poorly edited with a fair share of errors, but I’d say it’s definitely a worthwhile read for any underage coach who is interested in improving their coaching.

1 Like

Anyone come across any decent new coaching resources recently? Doesn’t need to be GAA specific

There’s a new fad now.Its callled long and punishing stints ( LAPS for short) google it.

4 Likes

Saw something about gaa launching new training/learning courses in December but can’t find link

Anyone go to the Coaching Conference in Croke Park at the weekend?

I think Derek McGrath was there. Good few others too I think.

Derek has used his time away from the pitch to get motoring on himself

Went to it last year. While there were a few interesting talks for the most part it was a lot of lads talking wank and giving little insight or information

2 Likes

Do you do much conditioning work with the young fellas?

Some change!

He should be on operation transformation, he missed a trick there.

1 Like

Found this interesting recently on how to implement pre season running plan

Very little out and out conditioning, if I did feel need to need to do some “running” I’d include the ball with it. Also plenty of ways to introduce a little bit of strength training without doing it specifically.

I do try to bring a significant element of fundamental movement skills into the warm up for every underage session.

1 Like

Don’t do any training with the ball. That way when there’s a game the lads will be much hungrier for the ball.

7 Likes

My first ever coach instilled this in me from a very young age…

“When you don’t have the ball, you love it, you’d do anything to get it back, you want it more than anything in the World, when you get it, you fucking hate it, kick it as far away from you down the other end of the field as you can”

1 Like

That’s great advice. I bet you didn’t have any of the gurus in Croke Park at the weekend saying that.
“We need to take a games based approach to hoofing the ball down the field”

1 Like