Opera and Musicals

Quality post, only sohpisticated regions could host such an arena. A drug store is far more appropriate.

http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/celebs/ilaryblasi/ilary_blasi_4.jpg

I’m sure they will write an opera about him one day.:guns:

please God-one day

[quote=“Turenne”]I’m currently listening to a lot of piano work - Stravinksy and Chopin in particular. And Bach, the automatic choice for any beginner.

Its the great thing about illegal downloading, you can get into different genres of music in great depth with great ease.[/QUOTE]

always thought vivaldi was the automatic choice for any beginner, started off with the 4 seasons.

naxos do a great range for under a tenner, usually eastern european musicians, and the sleeve gives a great insight into what’s happening on the disc.

[quote=“therock67”]Bit mainstream for me SS. You’re like so many of the opera “fans” in this country - halfwits who jump on the bandwagon of what they hear on BBC Radio 3* all day. What about opening your ears to the likes of The Maiden in the Tower or something even marginally left-field?

• I’ve no problem per se with BBC Radio 3 but they’re just milking opera as a cash cow and there’s fuck all exploration of traditional operating boundaries. Opera didn’t beging and end in Italy you know.[/QUOTE]

And he gives out about the labelling of travellers?

:smiley: :smiley:

Modern day composer from Belgium - Wim Mertens (Often a Bird)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBb3Vchh6jU

Eleanor Shanley and Charley McGettigan would be more your line.

Rocko, I actually meant to preface my comments with a brief apology for my populist and down right plebian tastes in Opera. It’s my prolatarian upbringing sadly, I am only playing catch up to the pikemen with their opera festivals and their superb opera house.

My gravest disappointment from this thread however is NCC’s dismissal of this cultural treasure. I had assumed he would have been a major fan being from sophisticated Fingal.

Here was me thinking this thread was going to be about the web browser. Is it geeky that I thought of that first?

Exceedingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width=“425” height=“344]<param name=“movie” value=”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKnR9VIK3MA
hl=en&fs=1&]<param name=“allowFullScreen” value=“true]<param name=“allowscriptaccess” value=“always]<embed src=”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKnR9VIK3MA
hl=en&fs=1&” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true” width=“425” height="344]

Comments on the opera youtube clips are probably among the most bitterest on there. Anyone who isn’t as good as Callas gets labelled a pig monkey. It’s harsh, but keeps standards up I suppose.

Unprecedented scenes…from Yahoo! News ticker.

Opera tickets are snapped up
1 hour 14 mins ago

One of Ireland’s most high-brow festivals has beaten the downturn by almost selling out months before it begins, organisers have revealed. Skip related content
Already, 90% of tickets have been snapped up for the Wexford Festival Opera which doesn’t open until October 21.

Culture vultures are swooping to the south east for the long running event which this year includes three operas and a host of other recitals over 11 days.

[quote=“SHANNONSIDER**”]Unprecedented scenes…from Yahoo! News ticker.

Opera tickets are snapped up
1 hour 14 mins ago

One of Ireland’s most high-brow festivals has beaten the downturn by almost selling out months before it begins, organisers have revealed. Skip related content
Already, 90% of tickets have been snapped up for the Wexford Festival Opera which doesn’t open until October 21.

Culture vultures are swooping to the south east for the long running event which this year includes three operas and a host of other recitals over 11 days.[/quote]

:rolleyes: :thumbsup: :pints:

Love classical music, especially Baroque, and like listening to classical Opera (a la Morse :rolleyes:). Can’t say I know a lot about opera but would dearly love to see one of the big operas at one of the big opera houses.

Have considered going to the Dundrum cinema where they show recordings of major opera productions.

[quote=“Shadow”]Love classical music, especially Baroque, and like listening to classical Opera (a la Morse :popcorn:). Can’t say I know a lot about opera but would dearly love to see one of the big operas at one of the big opera houses.

Have considered going to the Dundrum cinema where they show recordings of major opera productions.[/quote]

Swords cinema offers the same service (recordings from the Met)should my fellow fingallians care to indulge.

22/03/2010 - 12:04:24
Arts Minister Martin Cullen has announced the establishment of an Irish National Opera.

Formed from the merger of two State-funded companies, Opera Ireland and Opera Theatre Company, the company will be based in Dublin and will also tour nationwide.

“The company will also encourage the development of opera in Ireland through the provision of opportunities for emerging Irish talent and with education and outreach programmes which will encourage more people to engage with and attend opera performances,” a statement said

Ray Bates, former Director of the National Lottery has been appointed as Chairman of the Interim Board.

“This single unified Irish national opera company will have the remit and responsibility of providing both the highest possible quality opera experience to Irish audiences throughout the country and maximising the resources available so as to develop and encourage a thriving opera sector in the State," Minister Cullen said.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-national-opera-company-to-be-created-450943.html#ixzz0iuKB2BNZ

Surely this should have been based in The Home Of Opera.

I am going along to the National Concert Hall in June for a ‘gig’.

Anyone know if you have to get dressed up for such an occassion - like a tux and all that shite?

No-that’s all in the past now. Shirt n trousers n yer grand.