Opera and Musicals

Thanks, mate.

Not exactly opera but Andrea Bocelli is giving a concert here in August. Might stroll in.

Dug out one of my favourite vinyl records tonight. Te Kanawa, Carreras and Marilyn Horne sing West Side Story. Horne’s version of Somewhere never fails to bring a tear to my eye. Leonard Bernstein conducts.

[ATTACH=full]1847[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=“Fagan ODowd, post: 1033037, member: 706”]Dug out one of my favourite vinyl records tonight. Te Kanawa, Carreras and Marilyn Horne sing West Side Story. Horne’s version of Somewhere never fails to bring a tear to my eye. Leonard Bernstein conducts.

[ATTACH=full]1847[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Would you class west Side Story as an opera or a musical?

Very definitely a musical but technically the most difficult of them all which is why it is performed so rarely. On this record though it is stripped of its musical trappings and given the full operatic treatment.

Are you attending the Wexford Opera Festival over the coming weeks, Fagan?

Not going any more Colin. I grew tired of the smug self regarding clique who attend this marginal event some years ago.

That’s a clamping.

Boutique or niche would have been less offensive terms, pal.

They would indeed, but they wouldn’t have conveyed adequately my disdain for this event.

:smiley:

:smiley:

If only bandage would just reconcile with himself and realise where he is from and who he is, he’d be much happier. This dipping in and out of his roots can’t be doing his soul any good.

Woah, woah, woah. No need to drag me into this, @caoimhaoin[/USER]. I merely asked [USER=706]@Fagan ODowd a question and got the expected answer that, yes, somebody who discusses musicals on an opera thread doesn’t have much time for the high class operatic fare in Wexford.

Went to see an amateur production of West Side Story there in the O’Reilly theatre tonight. Absolutely outstanding.

1 Like

Excellent stuff.

Unreal.

Bout time the kids got some culture.

Is that frozen on ice out in citywest?

1 Like

Mrs J went this morning with the little lady and 3 of her cousins. Show was great but traffic was appalling apparently.

It sure is Ju…

Marshmallow about to smash up the place here