Paris Olympics 2024

We need to know how far @johnnysachs is from his nearest 50m pool

I was between shot putter and hammer thrower :see_no_evil:

1 Like

This lad has the charisma of a turd. Howā€™d he manage to rise up to the top of a hyper-political organisation like the IOC?

Both had low enough expectations. Menā€™s took the race on and rode with balls while ultimately coming up short. Kinda like Mark English. They hit their level but werenā€™t afraid to be ballsy about it before being passed by better competitors. Ladies - I think she finished roughly where she was expected to finish.

The Velodrome stuff is well beyond my basic knowledge. The fact that the Irish lady when from 4th to 8th in the space of 30 seconds earlier due to nothing she had done wrong shows how messy it is.

I think most parents whose kids show potential do make the sacrifices to help them as best they can. But for technical events and for any events over a certain age you need funding to produce coaches and then funding to help the athletes.

Youā€™d hope so. But Iā€™d imagine the socio economic spread of Olympians isnā€™t reflective of wider society.

Bar maybe boxing

I think athletics is a fairly wide representation. Thatā€™s why itā€™s the hardest to win at.

I donā€™t agree. They play a style that relies on holding onto the ball for as long as possible to prevent their opponents from scoring. Thatā€™s not how you play 7s. They try to go through phase after phase which is incredibly limited. To play that type of game plan you need to be able to defend well. Apart from one group game, every time their (good) opponents got the ball in hand, they scored within 30 seconds

The Athletes standing there for 2 hours now. Itā€™s a long old bit of rigmarole

I would say that bar boxing, the majority of Olympians come from middle to upper class backgrounds, athletics included.

1 Like

Irish Olympians or all ?

Irish

1 Like

Iā€™d say even athletics in Ireland is very middle class. Different in the states where they really push it. Probably why they win so many medals.

It is but youā€™d be able to chat up and swap insta details for later.

2 Likes

Earlier

A pain in the fucking hole Iā€™d say. Tis like a graduation except it takes even longer.

If heā€™s in Tipp he will have to drive to UL so probably earlier alright

1 Like

Sheā€™s a hammer thrower

You are probably right.

US has a very evolved college athletics system and a culture of excellence and great coaches. Thatā€™s a big differentiator.

One of the classiest Olympics ever and now the brash US fucks have come in and just done what they do.

LA will be shit.

1 Like