Paris Olympics 2024

Daina Moorehouse had a Livestream on Insta earlier from it and it looked class. They were all as giddy as hell.

Theyā€™ve a homecoming tomorrow at the GPO from 12 onwards. The earliest flight from CDG lands at 11.10. Iā€™d say thereā€™ll be a few sore heads on display at the GPO. Poor fuckers should be given more time to recover from tonight!

1 Like

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

The Olympics just belongs in Europe. That was such a great one.

Although LA does know how to put on a show so hopefully it delivers. 84 was an iconic Olympics

Neither is the socio economic spread of Olympics attendees. The crowds in Paris were almost exclusively white in a highly diverse city. Even for the free events.

My half baked theory is that underneath the highly charged friendly and celebratory atmosphere in London itself for 2012, a darker dynamic was unintentionally pushed by those Olympics in the rest of England. The crowds were overwhelmingly white in London too, maybe not to quite the same degree as Paris but close. The 2012 Olympics promoted a VE Day type feeling in England at large, a feeling that Britain (which meant England) could be great again. We donā€™t need those fackinā€™ blacks and immigrants. Even if lots of them had won medals for Britain. Weā€™re fackinā€™ great and we proved it. We donā€™t need nobody else.

Iā€™d say the Olympics will drive a similar dynamic in France too. France is more racist than Britain, much more racist.

1 Like

Ffs. Tom Cruise montage

Given the gouging that surrounds tickets, accommodation, transport and flights itā€™s not the type of event you can expect to get to on a tight budget.

Disagree about Hockey. Think they did as expected results wise. Performances were encouraging. Something to build on. They need a goalscorer and a decent drag flicker. Oā€™Donoghue doesnā€™t cut it anymore.

That means fuck all to me. Spell it out

She was a Kilkenny woman once

Makes it worse really that she canā€™t be comfortable in her roaster roots

She has an UNREAL arse

2 Likes

Sheā€™s from the good side of New Ross. Weā€™ve actually decided to keep New Ross just because of her

Who is this miming?

Seemed like they were being talked up for every game they played apart from the first one. Maybe that was just RTE hype.

The French are racist alright. Netherlands wins that game though.

Best closing ceremony ever!

Itā€™s no wonder Paris is considered the Limerick of Europe

It was till they rolled out the wrappers there at the end

But Paris itself is hugely diverse. Youā€™d think that should be reflected in the crowds. It strongly appeared to me it wasnā€™t.

I think minority communities in Europe and North America mainly voluntarily refrain from attending sporting events, despite them making up an ever increasing amount of the competitors particularly in the most popular sports. They donā€™t feel welcome. There are complex reasons for that but they donā€™t.

I think itā€™s a pity that Mbappe wasnā€™t made the face of this Olympics, even if in a non-participatory sense. He should have been involved in the marketing of it all. Teddy Riner the judo guy should have been involved more too. Marchand here is the perfect face of what the likes of Le Pen will brand as ā€œthe real Franceā€. Iā€™ve nothing against Marchand by the way.