Podders

Only listening to one podcast at the moment and that’s the Sunday Business Show from todayfm as I like to stay abreast of business affairs at home.

As is tradition at this stage, I had to stop listening to The Guardian’s Football Weekly in March. It always becomes difficult to listen to as Arsenal’s season disintegrates. I’ll probably have to stop listening after the third week of August this year.

Not strictly a podcast but I like to use the listen back feature on my todayfm iPhone app to listen to the last word. It’s a very nice feature.

For any history fans, Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History is very good - http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php?page=hharchive

His account of the Münster Rebellion during the reformation is particularly fascinating.

I’d second that about Dan Carlin. Long but superb and really accessible. Great series on the fall of the Roman Republic and Ghengis Khan too.

Been listening to 5 Live’s World Football Phone-In a lot recently. Tim Vickery can be a bit omnipresent on the airwaves but is always excellent.

Yeah they’re both brilliant. The fall of the Roman Republic is an amazing story. I must listen to that one again some time. He has a great ability to provide analysis of an episode and spin a fantastic yarn at the same time. Some of the events he describes in the Mongols series are spine chilling.

Common Sense podcast from Carlin in the Crimean situation is pretty interesting. Critiques the whole idea of NATO, and says that ultimately it’s ridiculous to expect that Western leaders should take the risk of starting WWIII over somewhere like the Ukraine or Latvia. Is the sovereignty of Crimea worth the deaths of one billion people?

He says that if we are serious about the independence and freedom of smaller nations, the real way to address it would be to provide the likes of Latvia with a tactical nuclear weapon. Knowing that a military incursion would prompt the deaths of a million of their own people is about as significant a deterrent a small nation can offer to a great power.

Basically his point was that Putin’s actions call NATO’s bluff on article 5 protection, that when it comes down to it a nuclear war won’t be started over small nations on Russia’s border and Putin had taken advantage of that fact. However, a small country having its own independence threatened is far more likely to take drastic action, which necessarily changes the thinking of aggressive superpowers.

Anyone listening to Serial by the makers of This American Life. It’s a study about a homicide in Baltimore, examining the case and whether they have the right guy. It’s not a standard setup - proclaiming innocence. Makes you change your mind a few times throughout about whether the convicted guy is guilty or not. 7 episodes so far I think, not sure how many there will be in total. Great listening though.

Read about this a few weeks ago and downloaded it but haven’t gotten around to listening to it yet. I’ll be making a visiting to Wexford over the weekend and will listen to it on my journey down and back and revert to you with my comments.

Looking forward to your feedback. You also need to update me on how you got on with Nathan For You.

I nearly had an heart attack, I read it as a homicide in Ballinamore…

You Fucker…:pint:

1 Like

[QUOTE=“Watch The Break, post: 848532, member: 260”]For any history fans, Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History is very good - http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php?page=hharchive

His account of the Münster Rebellion during the reformation is particularly fascinating.[/QUOTE]
This is pure class. It’s pretty much the entire history of Rome in nice handy Nutri Bullet slices.
http://historyofrome.wm.wizzard.tv/webpage/2010/02

I’ve listened to one and a half episodes so far and found it very interesting. They’ve told the story really well so far. Well worth a listen and great material for driving.

I’ve watched one episode of Nathan For You and found it to be very good also, expect it to get better as I get to know the ‘character’.

Serial is back.

Listening to first series. Exceptional

:grin:

I have you rattled since last night. Almost 24 whole hours of seething.

Excellent.

:grin:

Been listening to Undisclosed.

First season is about Adnan Syed. Same person as first season of serial. But this is done by lawyers instead of a journalist. Goes into way more detail. A lovely expansion to those who listened to Serial.

Currently l’m listening to S2. Case of Joey Watkins. Really interesting

1 Like

James Richardson is leaving The Guardians Football Weekly Podcast. He’s taking that Producer Ben fella with him to set up a football podcast.

James Richardson and Ben Green are to leave the Guardian Football Weekly, Football365 understands, in order to take up roles on a new podcast.

Presenter Richardson and Green, the show’s producer and known to the listener only as Producer Ben, are the only permanent fixtures on Football Weekly, which is consistently the UK’s most listened to football podcast.

The news will come as a blow to the Guardian, who have hosted the podcast since its founding as a daily show during the 2006 World Cup. Football Weekly is the current holder of the Football Supporters’ Federation Podcast of the Year award.

Richardson and Green are both leaving their roles to join Muddy Knees Media, a new podcasting consortium headed by football writer Iain Macintosh. The consortium is made up of a number of private investors, including Macintosh, while Richardson and Green both have significant shareholdings.

Muddy Knees Media will produce the ‘The Totally Football Show’, a podcast using Green and Richardson in similar roles to those they flourished in on Football Weekly with focus on the Premier League and European football. The first episode will be recorded on Monday, August 7 and available shortly thereafter.

“We know the power and popularity of podcasts,” Macintosh says. “What we want to do now is to harness that power. We want to put James and Ben in the driving seat. They are shareholders in the business, they have full creative control and we can’t wait to hear what they do with it.

“But it’s not just about the main football podcast. We want to build on that. If all goes well in these opening weeks, we’ll look to expand, and that could mean good news for people who, like me, support teams outside of the Premier League. And perhaps across Europe too. Ultimately, we want to be the home of football audio, from podcasts to audiobooks. These are exciting times.”

Richardson had been out of contract since the end of the 2016/17 season and has chosen to leave, while Green has resigned from his role as producer in order to take up his new position.

“It was crucial [to get these two on board],” Macintosh says. “Quite simply, we have the best presenter and the best producer in the land. James and Ben have been making brilliant podcasts for years and we’re delighted to have them.”

As well as the bi-weekly show, Football Weekly has branched out into hosting a number of live shows in Dublin, Manchester and London. This is something that Muddy Knees Media also intends to continue in the future.

The Totally Football Show will be found on Twitter @TheTotallyShow.

An Irishman Abroad’s interview with Tadhg Kennelly is excellent.

The new 30 for 30 podcasts are excellent. YANKEES SUCK!