Prayers

Who says prayers and who says them regularly? Like before exams, matches, illnesses etc. or just in a daily/nightly routine or whatever.

Until relatively recently I was a bit of a prayer fan. I said them every night religiously(!) and it was the same routine every time which became quite tireseome and time consuming. Iā€™d open with 2 Hail Marys, 2 Our Fathers, 2 Glory Beā€™s, 2 Oh Sacred Hearts and then 1 Hail Holy Queen.

Then would come the list of ā€œspecial intentions.ā€ Named my family by name and requested that theyā€™d remain alive for the next 30 hours (that facilitated me going to bed at say 11 on a Thursday and then 5 on the Friday night without placing anyone in peril). Then Iā€™d wish the same for their respective friends and for my wider relations and then people they care about not covered by the above - not sure who I was getting at there but was trying to cover off other eventualities.

Then covered much of the same ground but instead of staying alive it was about staying see from serious illness or disability. And again it was a 30 hour timeframe and the same folk were involved.

Then Iā€™d move on to wishing for happiness and wealth and health for my personal future (I wasnā€™t covered by the first two intentions above). Onwards then to other stuff like exams when I was doing them and achieving success commesurate with the talents God had given me, left the success of that open to His divine interpretation.

Some other stuff used to feature from time to time such as football matches, Celtic, rugby I was playing, all sorts of weird stuff occassionally.

And then back to round it off with the same prayers from the start - 2 of everything again except 1 Hail Holy Queen as above. And then into bed and that was my day done.

Iā€™d begin the morning with the same routine except without the special intentions and with only one set of the pair of prayers so to speak. Used to drive myself into a bit of a panic when Iā€™d struggle to get the second pair in under the 30 hour mark due to an early bed-time then a late night.

Anyway donā€™t do any of it anymore, donā€™t remember why I stopped but glad I did because what I was at was only oul superstition anyway.

The great thing about praying is that you know with every prayer you are pissing off Ian Oā€™Doherty more and more, while at the same time earning remission for your sins. Never was a pursuit more beneficial. I salute you Rocko and am intent on praying much more in future, I think you should go back to it, donā€™t let Oā€™Doherty win.

Since the twins came along Iā€™ve gone back to prayer. Had a rough run of it with them and a fair few rosaryā€™s were said. Even went to confession which was something I hadnā€™t done since the age of 16!! Now Iā€™d pray for the small fellas most nights, give the wife and the sets of parents a mention. Good friend of mine passed away recently and have the odd chat with him, just to let him know how Munster are getting on :stuck_out_tongue: . You might think itā€™s a load of bollix but whatever works for you go for it.

the last timed i prayed was last thursday nite, i was in a $2-$4 game of texas holdem, had about $250 in front of me. was big blind had QQ, it was raised to $16 with 1 caller so i re raised to $56 and got 1 caller. flop came 2-8-j. i bet $60 and the other fella went all in for around $400. i called he had A J suited, so in that split second i prayed for no Ace or Jack, so the turn came a 6, then the river came a big Ace of Diamonds i nearly got sick! to make it worse the other fell typed in a little LOL message! that got to me felt like smashing the key board of the screen. so no to the whole praying ting

HaHa.

I donā€™t pray at all.

yeah id be the same, 2 friends of mine have died so id have a chat with them, call me cracked if you want!

Ya, Iā€™d have a little pray every night. Sometimes it helps a lot and as SS says if it pisses off Ian Oā€™Doherty then all the better.

[quote=ā€œtherock67ā€]Who says prayers and who says them regularly? Like before exams, matches, illnesses etc. or just in a daily/nightly routine or whatever.

Until relatively recently I was a bit of a prayer fan. I said them every night religiously(!) and it was the same routine every time which became quite tireseome and time consuming. Iā€™d open with 2 Hail Marys, 2 Our Fathers, 2 Glory Beā€™s, 2 Oh Sacred Hearts and then 1 Hail Holy Queen.

Then would come the list of ā€œspecial intentions.ā€ Named my family by name and requested that theyā€™d remain alive for the next 30 hours (that facilitated me going to bed at say 11 on a Thursday and then 5 on the Friday night without placing anyone in peril). Then Iā€™d wish the same for their respective friends and for my wider relations and then people they care about not covered by the above - not sure who I was getting at there but was trying to cover off other eventualities.

Then covered much of the same ground but instead of staying alive it was about staying see from serious illness or disability. And again it was a 30 hour timeframe and the same folk were involved.

Then Iā€™d move on to wishing for happiness and wealth and health for my personal future (I wasnā€™t covered by the first two intentions above). Onwards then to other stuff like exams when I was doing them and achieving success commesurate with the talents God had given me, left the success of that open to His divine interpretation.

Some other stuff used to feature from time to time such as football matches, Celtic, rugby I was playing, all sorts of weird stuff occassionally.

And then back to round it off with the same prayers from the start - 2 of everything again except 1 Hail Holy Queen as above. And then into bed and that was my day done.

Iā€™d begin the morning with the same routine except without the special intentions and with only one set of the pair of prayers so to speak. Used to drive myself into a bit of a panic when Iā€™d struggle to get the second pair in under the 30 hour mark due to an early bed-time then a late night.

Anyway donā€™t do any of it anymore, donā€™t remember why I stopped but glad I did because what I was at was only oul superstition anyway.[/quote]

Superb Rocko. You appear to be one messed up lad at times. That makes me feel good.

Anyway I have been known to say the odd prayer. Again I canā€™t remember when it started but when I said the prayer everything turned out alright and I have kept that tradition up and so far so good.

I remember praying religiously for something in particular when I was younger and followed a similar routine to that above but it didnā€™t happen. So I stopped. That didnā€™t make me lose all faith though only that my prayers came a lot more few and far between.

The way I look at it is if you want to pray then fine but if you donā€™t then fine as well. I really hate when these moralistic auld codgers judge people because they donā€™t go to Mass or whatever. It just goes to show the power that the Church had in Ireland back in the day.

On the other side I hate people that boast about not going to Mass and look down on those who do go. Itā€™s purely a matter of personal faith and neither side has the right to judge the other.

Yeah faith in this country certainly got a bad name from the shackles of organised religion. Whether the same faith would exist in the absence of organised religion ultimately goes back to what you believe yourself so yeah itā€™s a personal decision.

Prayers? Pointless.

[quote=ā€œtipptops*ā€]HaHa.

I donā€™t pray at all.[/quote]

Barney Curley lost 100k in a poker game with JP and the late Tim Oā€™Toole among others one night in the Gresham, himself and Timeen went down the road into the church and straight to confession, Barney promised the priest heā€™d never play poker again and stuck to that.

Ah oul Barney Curley. What a man.

Pretty disappointed that I never got a mention on Rockoā€™s prayer list but, fine, if thatā€™s the way he wants to be about it. I donā€™t really pray but I often hope and wish for things for the present and future and I also think about and reflect on things that have happened in the past. Mainly to do with people who are or were close to me. Iā€™m not a regular attender or participant in church services and Iā€™m not a particularly religious person. I donā€™t know if that makes much sense but there you go.

Wishing upon a star is as valid as praying. In other words, itā€™s invalid.

Itā€™s wrong to wish on space hardware aswell, Flano.

A whoey wotsit now

I never touch the stuff anymore. I wonā€™t go on a rant about it, but Shannonsider you know thereā€™s a lot of decent people apart from that loudmouth IOD who criticise the whole concept of religion. The only times it would ever even occur to me is in moments of absolute desperation, and even then I tend to snapm out od it pretty quickly. The last refuge of the desperate is all it means to me now.

Yes but how does anyone know theyā€™re right, Watch The Break. Let them off if they want to believe in Christianity, horoscopes or atheism or whatever. Thereā€™s no one shoving Christianity down anyoneā€™s throat, meanwhile Ian Oā€™Doherty rants on about his own convictions ad nauseum. Heā€™s a bore, I never mentioned any other people with similar beliefs or non-beliefs.

SS,

I thinkyou should write to Ian O Doherty and let him know how you feel. It doesnā€™t do one good to keep these things bottled up. He displays his email address beside his column.

If I start a SS v IOD thread, would you be willing to post up your impending communication with Mr. Doherty? We could post up his replies, if any, and lads take it in turns to mail him. Could be fun.

A sort of an email mail ā€˜Napper Tandyā€™?

Ehā€¦maybe