Presidential Election Thread. Aka, Should the deer in the Phoenix Park be getting worried?

Really enlightening article that is sid. Quite thought provoking. Thanks for posting.

Daily Mail are really trying to outdo themselves with their hounding of Norris. They’re also dragging up and old interview out of context and putting it in huge letters on their front page to scare people off. Pricks.

Lottie Ryan has also joined them today with the exclusive that she’s an “online shopaholic.” One day I think I’m going to go on a murdering rampage if this is all society can offer me.

You forgot Liam Hayes.

Pat Cox has applied to be a member of FG. What a sneaky back door way [excuse the pun mr norris] to be their Presedential nominee?

of all the shite articles jumping on the norris bating bandwagon the worst of all is that crying cunts john waters, saying he didnt hear the tape. Didnt call norris for confirmation of what was said and that he wanted to protect norris but believed a restaurant critic over norris and he was sub ed at magill at the time

He’s the new Harris

Jesus christ, Pat Cox? For fucks sake.

The field is pretty shit I have to say. Personally I would like to see Michael Lyster as president.

Michael D is my preference at this stage. Surprised at the number of candidates but not many that would be in any way palatable. I’m just delighted we were spared Seán Kelly.

waters latest effort is ludicrously high on hypocrisy and irony

Any way of throwing it up Art?

Heard David Norris on last word on thur eve. His major achievements include making the opening speech in the Seanad. And he’s also the longest serving senator. Sounds like the man for the Aras.

Michael D has won the Labour nomination

He won it fairly convincingly thankfully. Still easily the best candidate in the field for me, has looked for it for a long time so hope he goes on to win now.

The FG one is getting interesting now. As a Wexford man, I hope that Avril Doyle isn’t given the nomination. She’s a horrible person who believes she operates at a higher level than everyone else.

It should be remember the type of shit she’s pulled in the past - http://www.wexfordecho.ie/news/cwqleymhmh/

Monday, September 24, 2007

MEP has church flags removed
by Colette Browne

MEP Avril Doyle has confirmed that she requested a tricolour to be temporarily removed from Crossabeg Church before her daughter’s wedding on August 31.

The decision to remove both a tricolour and a papal flag from the altar has caused controversy locally, but Ms. Doyle yesterday defended her decision.

“It was my personal call as I believe there is no place in church for flags of any kind. Having got permission, we removed both the tricolour and the Vatican flag from the altar for the wedding ceremony.”

Crossabeg residents are angry that the flags were removed. A local man, who did not want to be named, said: “The flags have been there since 2003, when we celebrated the bicentenary of convict priest Fr. James Dixon’s first Mass in Australia. He was a curate in Crossabeg at the end of the 1700s but was arrested and sentenced to death for wearing a medal inscribed ‘Erin Go Brea’. His sentence was later commuted to transportation for life.”

“The flags have since been put back up, but they are not hanging in the correct way now. A lot of people down here are very annoyed about the fact that these flags were taken down. You have to ask is our MEP ashamed of our flag?” he continued.

Ms. Doyle insisted that it had always been her position that nationalism had no place in a church: “It has been my consistent position for many years that there should not be flags of any kind inside a church. Will there be national borders in the next life?” she continued.

Ms. Doyle’s daughter, Christine married Glen Howitt from London, in St. Patrick’s and St. Bridget’s Church on August 31 The Mass was celebrated by Fr. Jim Finn.

MEP Doyle said that neither her daughter nor her husband knew anything about her decision to remove the flags either then or now.

However, the local resident said: “If the wedding was in England, would they have taken down an English flag? Why do we have to apologise for having an Irish flag in an Irish church?”

The Echo was unable to contact Fr. Jim Finn for comment before going to press.

That is shocking Mac, absolutely shocking.

Imagine getting married in Crossabeg…

:rolleyes:

This is the worst list of candidates I can recall for a Presidential Election. An absolute cacophony of cunts, and useless cunts at that. Bertie would actually add something to this race at this point.

Niall O’Dowd has withdrawn his candidacy for the Presidential Election - citing a flawed system. Did he not know the system before he entered the race?

Niall O’Dowd statement in full:

I have decided not to run for the Irish presidency.

The logistical challenges of running for an office as an independent against established political parties is incredible.

This holds most notably on fund-raising. The race costs about $700,000 to run a proper national campaign. The main political parties can easily raise that.

The independent candidates have to raise it for themselves at approximately $9,000 maximum contribution per person.

That is a lot of fund-raising – especially as you are trying to run a national campaign from scratch at the same time for an October election.

The party candidates will also be chosen by early July allowing them to begin competing in the election proper.

The independents will not finally know their fates until September when either the county councils or the parties not fielding candidates will agree to back them.

You need either 20 members of the Irish parliament or Seanad or the approval of four county councils.

It is a complicated system which overwhelmingly favors the big guns in the main political parties such as Fine Gael and Labor.

Bottom line, unless they are completely terrible candidates, either the Labor or Fine Gael contender will win the race

I told my backers I would take until the end of June to come to my best conclusion. I have now done that. They have loyally supported my decision.

Quite simply I believe the race is not winnable for an independent, any independent, no matter what the current polls say, because the dice is stacked.

I think I have been around enough political races, either supporting my brother, now a minister of state in Ireland or campaigns here in the US to see that writing on the wall.

But it was a fascinating adventure which came about in a surprising manner and I think highlighted the Irish abroad in a new way.

It was an unexpected detour on life’s road and I have to say I enjoyed it and met some great people along the way including so many over here who wished me well.

Thank you for all your kind messages of support.

‘Ar Aghaidh Linn’ as always.

When are Fine Gael announcing their candidate?

Who is in the running for Fianna Fail’s nomination?

Vincent Browne asked Dillie O’Wea if he was running for President and he replied ‘Yes - of Thomond rugby club’, to which Vinne replied ‘You have no chance in hell’.