Prince William

I can only make a calculated guess that it is through shock that nobody has posted on recent events regarding the Windsors. What are other members views on Kate Middleton? I am glad William made the decision now rather than prolonging it. The impact this whole episode will have on Harry should be examined in detail. I am disappointed that this latest royal news hasn’t received more coverage. All other news like the war in Iraq, global warming etc. should be forgotten at a time like this.

Good post pied.

I think William was in a difficult position. A man of his standing can’t really be seen to be leading a girl on if his ultimate intention is not to marry her. I just hope he came to the decision to end the relationship himself rather than being given an ultimatum by his father or other royal advisors. Kate appears to be an attractive young lady and I’m sure she’ll have plenty other suitors in the near future once the dust settles.

Intersting post Raven. Unfortunatley however you have falied to take William’s excellent judgement of character into account. He said himself the fun had gone out of the relationship. What more do you want. A royal of his stature needs excitement. Ms Middleton clearly fell short on this score. It is my considered opinion, that in the fullness of time, history will record the greatness of Prince William and it will be at Ms Middleton’s expense.

Good post piper. I think we were all fans of Miss Middleton but there’s a danger that in extending our sympathy to her we shift our loyalties from royalty to mere peerage. Miss Middleton is a fine young lady but the Prince is an heir to the throne. I sincerely hope that is not forgotten in all of this.

It’s almost impossible for the general public to understand the relationship because we are of different stock and at a remove from the goings on but I have every trust in the family and I’m sure another mistake like Diana will not occur on the Queen’s watch.

1 Like

I disagree raven. I think the Queen, perhaps fearful of another malaise like Diana, probably made representations to William through Charles. It’s all very well hoping for a fairytale princess emerging from the common stock but again I point to Diana and the farce that ensued when she married the Prince of Wales. I’m glad this has been nipped in the bud to be honest.

1 Like

Of course there is a danger that this episode could run and run and that attention will be diverted from the Proms, FA Cup Final and Chelsea garden show. I must caution however that while I hold these three events in high regard they are incomparable to Royal Events.

I think we should all pause in a moment of appreciation for our Armed Forces all around the world. I take my hat off to the chaps and lassies especially those who are currently bringing order to Iraq.

Yeah fair play to them going off to Iraq but if it wasnt for that fucker George Bush no one would be getting blown to bits out there,Prince William though…im sure hes a nice guy but I hope everyone shuts up about his realationship…who gives a shit? >:D

Spot on Tiger, kudos to you.

Thanks Flano san!

It has in a way for me. Tainted memories now.

I know what you mean. It was a corker of a race but looking back now they seem like glorious days that we may never have again.

This beautiful biog piece on HRH Prince William from BBC Gloucestershire almost brought a tear to my eye.

The first son of Prince Charles and Princess Diana, William Arthur Philip Louis Windsor was born at St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington, London, on June 21, 1982.

As the eldest son of the Prince of Wales, he is second in line to the throne after his father.

Prince William playing polo at Cirencester Park with his father
At over six feet tall the son Princess Diana used to nickname Willy Wombat has inherited his mother’s blonde hair, blue eyes and good looks.

Today the pin-up Prince has heart-throb status with a growing worldwide fan club.

William is a keen sportsman and, like his father and brother Harry, regularly plays polo at Cirencester Park near Highgrove, Lord Bathurst’s 15,000-acre country estate. He also enjoys hunting with the Beaufort Hunt.

He is regularly seen at the wheel of his car on Gloucestershire roads but in June 2003 Prince Charles was forced to apologise after his son was involved in a driving dispute on a Cirencester Park estate road after overtaking Lord Bathurst at speed when leaving a polo match.

Animal lover William has a black Labrador, called Widgeon, and shares the Royal Family’s love of horses although he does not have one of his own.

He is left-handed and apart from polo he also enjoys water polo, football - he is an Aston Villa supporter - and rugby.

When William and his brother Harry were small they were regularly seen out and about in Cirencester and Tetbury with their mother when Princess Diana took them shopping while on on weekend and holiday visits to nearby Highgrove House, the family’s country home.

Today the royal brothers have their own quarters at Highgrove, including a basement area where there have reportedly been some high-spirited parties.

William’s public appearances began at the age of eight when he joined his parents for the St David’s Day service at Llandaff Cathedral in Wales - and today his connection with the Principality is even stronger as he prefers to be known as William Wales.

Prince William is regularly seen driving near his country home at Highgrove
His most poignant duty came when, aged 15, he joined his brother to walk behind their mother’s coffin on the way to her funeral service in Westminster Abbey after her tragic death in a Paris car crash in 1997.

After prep school at Ludgrove in Berkshire, where William demonstrated early sporting prowess, he studied at Eton College where he took 12 GCSEs and A-levels in history of art, geography and biology.

He took a gap year after his A-levels, including time in Belize and Africa and taking part in a Raleigh International community project in Chile, before going on to study history of art at St Andrew’s University.

After his studies, he reportedly plans to do environmental work in Africa, instead of the traditional royal career in the

Just thinking should we not have a separate forum for all Royal News similar to the multimedia forum. I’d rather not discuss HRH William’s life next to Gaelic Athletic Association Threads. Fair enough if it was the FA Cup but come on.

Huge news this morning. Prince William has taken the bold move to spend time with special forces. I hope Clarence House do their upmost to give him the freedom to pursue this very public adventure with the media kept at a respectful distance. A difficult balance to strike I know. I know understand why the site was ‘down’ for a while earlier with so many people trying to log on to discuss this latest development. Link below is from the Beeb.

Prince William is to spend time with special forces in the next stage of his army career, Clarence House has said.

The Prince will return to the Army on a secondment and will also spend time at the Ministry of Defence with the Army Air Corps.

He will not take part in any operational missions, a spokesman said.

William recently completed an attachment to the Royal Navy on board HMS Iron Duke in the Caribbean.

He has also served as an officer in the Household Cavalry regiment as part of a process to familiarise him with the British Armed Forces.

William’s final attachments are expected to take place in autumn 2008.

Tactics and capabilities

Clarence House said the Prince would work with the Central Staff at the MoD, allowing him see how the three branches of the Armed Forces are directed.

The locations of his special forces visits have not been disclosed.

Afterwards, he will learn about helicopter tactics and capabilities with the Army Air Corps, where he is expected to extend his experience as a pilot at the helm of various aircraft.

Previously, he underwent basic seamanship training and completed a series of secondments as part of his two-month attachment to the Royal Navy.

During his five weeks on board HMS Iron Duke, he joined a Royal Navy rescue team on a hurricane disaster exercise in the Caribbean.

Chinook controversy

He was also involved in two interception operations during the vessel’s anti-drug patrols.

The Prince has also spent four months with the RAF, during which time he took part in an operational flight to Kandahar, Afghanistan, where he met frontline troops.

He was awarded “wings” by his father, the Prince of Wales.

However, the MoD was forced to defend his actions after he used a Chinook helicopter training exercise to fly himself and his brother, Prince Harry, to a stag do on the Isle of Wight

My heart was in my mouth until I read the following:

“He will not take part in any operational missions.”

I’m a big believer in involving the Royal Family in the military because history has taught us that there are no better leaders than the Windsors. However that must be balanced by the pressing need for safety for William and in all honesty his welfare must be paramount in any decision concerning his future.

It’s a very brave decision though to join the Special Forces. I’d like to think that’s the sort of courageous action we can expect from William in the event of his kingship in the future.

1 Like

Tidings of great joy. A Prince has been born at the Lindo Wing, St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington.

1 Like

Congrats @Tassotti must be an incredible time in London at the moment.

1 Like

He’s delivered an heir and a spare. Now he’s free to have a bit on the side.

On St. Georges Day too - what a patriot.