Pubs To Frequent

McSorleys is just a big loud bar full of d4ish heads. Actually not so bad midweek when its quiet used to be a decent table quiz there of a monday or tuesday.

Nah taphouse is a bar alright plenty in there just boozing. Does a lot of food but as i said you wouldnt stay there the whole night

Corrigans is good bar alright forgot about it. The Hill used to be a great local but havent been in it since it was turned into a craft beer type spot.

The 51 is one of the main rugby pubs in Dublin and not in the ranelagh area, has neither a pool table or a jukebox. Other than that it ticks all the boxes for you. Its in the top 5 bars on haddington road

1 Like

Iā€™m absolutely thrilled to tell you that you wonā€™t find a pub meeting those criteria in Ranelagh.

Some great work done in the last few years in getting The Hill turned into a craft beer place and getting Russellā€™s turned into Taphouse and getting all the ā€œlocalsā€ to move on.

4 Likes

I literally stumbled into Tramline last Friday night. It is on Hawkins Street and I never knew it existed before.

A very strange place. The place was practically empty. Very big spot with a massive open space in the middle with various bars off it, many of them closed at 10pm on a Friday. It also seems to back on to a pizzeria on Dā€™olier Street which is part of the complex.

Eventually we found a bar that was open. The girl behind the bar looked very stressed as she couldnā€™t seem to locate any short drinks and constantly had to either walk away to get something or get someone to bring her a bottle of vodka or whatever. The Guinness, which I wasnā€™t drinking, looked horrific and was being served out to unsuspecting customers.

When we asked the girl how it had been going in there since it opened she remarked that things were busier now (!) and it was very quiet at the start. I found the whole thing very bizarre. It appeared a complete clusterfuck of a management of a place where I would imagine the rents are astronomical.

I canā€™t see it lasting in its current form. I wonā€™t be back anyway.

1 Like

:rollseyes:

Most of those criteria are the antithesis of everything Ranelagh is about. Actually hard enough to find a pool table in a bar in that area of Dublin. They are generally too busy to waste the space.
The Lower Deck in Portobello ticks a lot of your boxes*. Pool table, TV, Bulmers, not Rugby. Sound old skin behind the bar in there, it was my local for a few months at one stage when I lived in the area. Itā€™s not in anyway fancy and thereā€™s a few ropey enough looking locals, but all salt of the earth types. It doesnā€™t serve food because itā€™s an actual pub. Thereā€™s no such thing as a decent pub thatā€™s sells food. Food ruins a pub. FACT.
*I havenā€™t been there in a couple of years.
As for other options, upstairs in the palace (camden street version) has a pool hall and theyā€™d generally be showing the sport downstairs, but itā€™s a bit of a nothing place.
Rody Bolands in Rathmines ticks a lot of your boxes, it sells food thatā€™s half way edible but it doesnā€™t have a pool table as far as I can recall. Thereā€™s also a place called Murphyā€™s up the back of Rathmines thatā€™d tick most boxes bar a pool table.

A pool table :rofl:

1 Like

There was a place on Aungier street that used to take bets for a bookies from you at the bar until recently enough. Delaneyā€™s I think? Rough spot. Spent a great day in there once upon a time. Was sad to see it was turned into a cool kids place in the last while.
There arenā€™t many proper pubs left in Dublin sadly.

Roaster alert

This @peddlerscross lad sounds like the biggest roaster youā€™ve ever met in your life. Heā€™ll only drink Bulmers FFS. Iā€™m sending him to be amongst his people.

7 Likes

Bulmers - a pool table - multiple tvs -Jukebox - food.

Any place like that should be burned to the groundā€¦ this @peddlerscross is obviously on the wind up or he is a tracksuit wearer. You wouldnā€™t want to mess with his crew tho, pints of milk with their burgers and chips in-between their games of winner stays onā€¦ the loser pays for the next 5 songs which have to consist of at least one Gareth Brooks song and one Tupac numberā€¦

2 Likes

Youā€™d be better off drinking at home on your own in front of the telly.

2 Likes

I think a few of the Galway Bar Brewery Pubs have pool tables. The one in the Gasworks definitely does but thatā€™s a decent walk from Ranelagh.

Jaysus will you stop, heā€™d collapse on the spot if heā€™d to drink a craft beer

1 Like

Donā€™t move to Ranelagh.

Thereā€™s a right spot in Ballymun called ā€˜The Towersā€™ that should be right up your street.

Failing that you should try the shithole called Cassidys on Westmoreland Street.

2 Likes

I ended up in Ranelagh by default guys

1 Like

Iā€™ll regret this but explain

Youā€™ll have a great time there mate, a great location. I lived in the area once and it was the best of all the places I lived in Dublin location wise. Walking distance of Camden Street, Portobello, Rathmines, Rathgar, Leeson Street, Baggot Street, Donnybrook and Ballsbridge. Not to mention a short Luas ride from town. You could go out seven nights a week and not have to retrace your steps.
Oā€™Briens on Leeson street, Burchills in Ranelagh, Cassidys, Devitts & Ryans on Camden street (though I heard itā€™s gone all cool now :angry:) & Slatterys in Rathmines. Mother Reillys for trad on a Monday, Leeson Lounge for Jazz on a Wednesday, Upstairs in Devitts for trad on a Thursday, sinking pints & smokes in Toners, outside the barge or the shaw on a sunny evening. Live music in Whelans any night of the week. Jaysus Iā€™d love to go back for a week, Iā€™m thirsty just thinking about it :pint:

10 Likes

Iā€™m in Ranelagh right now. The place is absolutely heaving with people at lunch time. D4/D2 on a sunny day is hard bate (as Irish cities go).

1 Like

You didnā€™t even mention the wonderful playgrounds at Ranelagh Gardens and Belgrave Square, the yoga in Dartmouth Square, the coffee at Nickā€™s and the fresh bread at Mortonā€™s.

2 Likes

Did yourself and peddlar find a place selling bulmers?