R.E.M. Thread: TFK's all time favourite band

I saw them twice.

Landsdowne Road in 1999 and Ardgillan Castle in 2005 (I think).

The latter was the best gig I was ever at.

2 Likes

I saw them twice Glas. Once in Croke Park in 1985 when they were too weak to carry a stadium. They were second support to U2. I saw them again in 1989 on the Green tour when they had begun to perfect their stagecraft and were a formidable live proposition

1 Like

You didn’t bother to go to them then after that?

Caught them twice in 99 (Werchter Fest in Belgium and Landsdowne Road, the day after me debs) and 03 again in Dublin (I think Marlay Park?)

Very high praise coming from you :+1:

A taste of their live power.

https://youtu.be/vWOpBwwpVfA

No I got caught up in the rave scene after that.

3 Likes

Hand on heart they are my favourite ever band.

Although that can alternate with the Smiths and Pixies but that’s the Holy Trinity for me.

4 Likes

I was due to go to that but was going through a major depressive episode at the time.

:ronnyroar:

I love the Pixies, they’re in my top 5. But I hate the smiths, can’t stand Morrissey’s singing.

Each to their own*

*I don’t really mean that

1 Like

I know you don’t!

Had you been listening to the Smiths

3 Likes

And you go home and you cry and you want to die.

Nail on head

Stipe is doing a lot of photography now isn’t he? They shouldn’t reform, they’ve left an amazing body of work behind them, nothing left to prove.

U2 could have done the same, but unfortunately didn’t.

stipe seems to know where the line lies between being an activist and a preachy cunt, and also when to draw the line under things

1 Like

Stipe was fairly preachy in his prime

He’s brilliant when he comes out and has a go, full of bile and anger. I wish he’d do it more.