Racism in the GGA

THE mother of a teenager of Egyptian/Irish descent, who claims he was told to “go back where you
came from” during a GAA match, has spoken of her disappointment that the matter won’t be pursued
further.
Ann Marcus made a complaint to gardai and the GAA after her son Dion (14) claimed he was subjected
to racial abuse by an adult during a GAA football match in May.
The teenager has represented his country abroad in the Irish athletics team for the world
championships in South Korea in July.
The incident highlights the growing problem of racism in sport, which reared its ugly head again this
week when Crossmaglen Rangers player Aaron Cunningham claimed he was subjected to racial abuse
during the Ulster club final.
Mrs Marcus says she was notified by gardai this week that the DPP would not be pursuing the matter
any further. However, she said she had not heard from the GAA since the formal complaint was made
over six months ago.
Dion, who was only 13 when the incident occurred, is a promising underage footballer with Dr Croke’s in
Killarney. His father Refaat was born in Egypt.
The teen claims the racist comments were made by an adult from the opposing team at a GAA
underage match in Killarney.
Kerry County Board said its hands were tied while the garda investigation was ongoing.
Chairman Pat O’Sullivan said the board was not aware the investigation had concluded.

[font=Arial][size=1]
he GAA is to discuss how to deal with racism at its annual congress in March.
[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]
It follows claims of racism on the pitch and from parts of the crowd at the Ulster Club football final between Crossmaglen and Kilcoo on Sunday.[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]
Crossmaglen player Aaron Cunningham, whose father is black, claimed he was racially abused by two members of the Kilcoo panel.[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]
At a meeting on Tuesday night, an Ulster GAA committee established a team to investigate the allegations.[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]
In a statement, the GAA Ulster Council said the meeting of its Competitions Control Committee (CCC) had agreed that the investigation would be “based on the contents of the referee’s report”.[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]
"A group has been estab[/size][/font]

I am at pains to figure which character you are in this picture mate :strokechin: the flux capacitor will be bollixed from going back in time to garner all these old stories :lol:

http://comicstheblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/sexy.jpg

I just hope your not the dog mate. :o

Harry, can you please refrain from using 3 or more smileys in a post, that is Taz’s bag and it tends to make me confuse you both.

Also this is s serious topic for the GAA and one not to be taken lightly.

Duly noted, pal. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yet the GGA are taking it lightly anyway.

Agreed.

What next?

http://www.joe.ie/uploads/story/29808/dalyhurlingfinal.jpg

The incident highlights the growing problem of racism in sport

Racism is not a growing problem in sport.

No, it’s a serious topic for the GGA. Pay attention.

It should be mandatory for all County Boards to have “No To Racism” signs emblazoned all over their main county ground. Wexford has led the way here and it’s sickening to see the inertia of other counties.

Not surprised by the story. The lads in Wexford got the absolute minimum punishment, and weren’t named publicly. It’ll be the same thing in Armagh. GAA doesn’t care really, and only pretends to care when its splashed all over the papers.

Unfortunately I’d say this is probably true. There’s definitely an element of ‘sure i’ve been called a red headed cunt all my life and I never said a word about it’ or comments like these thrown around.

Liam O’Neill cares mate.

Is calling someone a knacker racist?

I’d say if he’s actually a traveller, yeah.

I know that TASE suffered racial abuse relating to his italian heritage during a sigerson game. This may have played a part in the loss of one of the greatest free takers of his generation to the game

download%20(1)

Fitzmaurice really needs a bra.

A cups at most surely?