Ravenous Part Deux, the cheap likes thread

I doubt it

Katsu is the most boring thing you can order in an Asian restaurant. Breaded chicken with chip shop curry poured over it. Portumna bridge’s one looks nice though.

There’s a lad at the end of Barrack street in Cork does a smashing Katsu, royalty have complimented him on it,
I had a fantastic Katsu in Galway, more like a stew with loads of veg, think it was the wa cafe.
The chicken is always dry and gammy though

Katsu chicken with Tonkatsu sauce is much better than a bland old curry sauce. Easy to make at home, bake the chicken breasts (coated in flour, egg and panko). The sauce is ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, oyster sauce and brown sugar, roughly 2:2:1:1.

9 Likes

Is it possible to get full from eating cous cous ?

Just the grain or with a stew on top?

Just the grain, I’d say you could stay atein it all day

Why the fuck would you eat that bland shit, let alone a lot of it?

Would you want to? It’s like eating disappointment

1 Like

All from scratch, Donal skehans recipe…

That sounds rotten

Cous cous is not a grain.

What is it then? or rather what is it made from?

Have you had it? Don’t knock it unless you’ve had it.

Japanese curry. The colour of the curry looks all wrong in those photos, can only imagine what it tastes like.

In my experience Japanese curry is fairly bland*, generic British style curry powder I think.

*What would those cunts know about curry.

As it happens I was going to make Chicken Katsu tonight, inspired by @Portumna_Bridge and @Tassotti, but the thoughts of dredging chicken through flour, eggs and panko put me right off. I made a lovely Thai chicken curry instead, with fresh lemongrass and Thai basil from the garden. It was inspired.

I love a Thai Green Curry

2 Likes

Green, yellow, red, they’re all great.

I’d much prefer every other type of curry, the somewhat watery Chinese one included. I wouldn’t call it bland, the curry sauce has a sweet taste, which combined with the sweet, stickiness of Japanese rice isn’t particularly appealing to me.

I’d say it’s the kind of thing kids love and adults are nostalgic about. Easy to make comfort food.