Re: Ashes

Fred’s gone, caught by Warne at first slip off Symond’s gentle medium pace. He will be absolutely disgusted with himself to get out to Symonds. It’s all gone tits up for E&W.

Jones with as tame a dismissal as you’ll see. Just flicked Symond’s medium pace straight to gully; this could be the last test match he plays.

KP is left with the tail now, I reckon he’ll try to start leathering it around the place to try make sure they get as close as they can to Australia’s 244.

Watching Jones’ dismissal again there; I would give him some beating for the shot he played.

Big shout out to one of my favourite cricketers in the world Kumar Sangakkara (check out his quality sledging of Shaun Pollock in the sport video thread) who made an undefeated 156 in a Sri Lanka total of 268 against NZ in the second test today.

He also made an undefeated 100 in a team total of only 170 in the 2nd innings of the 1st test. A real class player.

Right, afternoon session about to begin in Perth. If KP is the next wicket to fall and he goes quickly England and Wales can wave goodbye to the game, goodbye to the series and goodbye to the Ashes. I’m off to get settled back in.

McGrath just dropped KP on the boundary; difficult but should have taken it really. Mahmood and Hoggard have gone and KP is starting to hit out. Australia have been putting all their men back on the boundary for KP allowing him to take singles so they can attack the tailenders for the rest of the over. KP has rubbed salt into their wounds by smashing Warne for a 6 now; you’d want to see the look Warne just gave McGrath. KP’s on fire; this is smashing stuff,a quality hook shot off Lee there for 4. He’s playing things spot on now - 175 for 8.

And KP’s gone!

215 ao. Super stuff from Monty Panesar. The Beard To Be Feared smacked Warne for a couple of 4s. Harmison chipped in with some great boundaries and then The Sultan of Spin played a smashing drive for 4 off Clark. Eventually Harmison skied a leading edge to Brett Lee but the last wicket partnership was 40 and those runs have kept England and Wales in the game. Now we need Grievous Bodily Harmison to steam in with the ball and The Sikh of Tweak to get that ball spinning again.

I’m off for some kip before the champions league draw. Tough work is unemployment.

Great updates Bandage - didn’t get a chance to post during the night but rest assured I was glued to thefreekick all night as my primary source of Ashes coverage and it didn’t let me down.

Very disappointing for England and Wales to surrender the first day’s initiative so tamely. Obviously the end of the day was better with the last innings stand and then getting the early wicket but they really have to do better when they find themselves in promising positions.

Haven’t looked at the scorecard properly yet but there’s a similarity about both innings with KP replicating Hussey’s innings - 2 batsmen in fantastic form.

Just watched the brief Ashes highlights there on skysports.com and that was some day for Australia. Hussey and Clarke were magnificent but Gilchrist was simply sensational. What a demoralising period that must have been for England - he absolutely destroyed them.

Loss of Strauss was possibly harsh at the end but the difference in nerve between the two teams at the moment is incredible. England are bag of nerves and Australia are battering them. Super stuff.

Strauss has got 3 dodgy decisions in a row now, you’d have to feel sorry for him.

Great stuff from Australia indeed. I predict E&W will be ao for a paltry 220 but Duncan Fletcher reckons they can make this historical run chase.

I’m loving Ian Bell’s knock so far this morning/night. As I said in jest to the bhoy ‘we’ll look back on Belly’s match winning 250 not out as one of the greatest innings of all time’. Get in England and Wales.

Flintoff gone for 51, fell to Warne with an impatient swipe. The next lad really fooked up with a lack of concentration getting “run” out in the next over. What an incompetent shower of fools. All over bar the shouting.

349 for 9 now, nearly there. Warne is very fat for such a great sportsman isn’t it? Met some English dudes with tickets to the 4 th test. Quite pissed off.

You in Oz at the moment Appendage?

Easy victory for Australia in the end. It’s funny how after the first innings of this test all the talk was that the selectors had failed England by not picking Monty in the first two tests. Now England were going to probably win the third test but would it be too little too late? In the end Monty finished with 237 for 8 (not bad) but England get hammered anyway with loads of time and runs to spare.

This defeat lays squarely at the hands of the batsmen in the first innings (bar Pietersen’s 70). Monty was sensational - he did as well as he could have done. Taking 5 wickets in the first innings is incredibly rare for a spin bowler seeing as they rely heavily on rough areas and wearing pitches. Panesar took 8 wickets in the game overall as opposed to Giles’ 3 wickets in 2 games. To leave Monty out of the first 2 tests was an incredibly poor decison by Fletcher and Flintoff.

You need to make 350 plus or even 400 in your first innings when the pitch is at its best. Due to Monty’s heroics E&W were well on top but they bottled it in their first innings and Australia went straight for their throats.

I was really looking forward to this series so it’s disappointing that the Ashes are decided after only 3 games.

No I’m not in Oz but I hope to go there someday! Just got an interest back in cricket again, used to be an avid follower when I was 14 I think but lost interest between that age and about 4 weeks ago.

Really I suppose it was Bandage who initially inspired my interest and he who rekindled it with his smashing ashes posts. What a man.

Warne and McGrath to retire after the Ashes. Alledgedly?

Warne already announced it - not sure about McGrath.

It’s a very sad day for world sport. Warne is a genius. I don’t think we’ll ever see his likes again.

I am honoured to share September 13th as a birthday with the great man.

‘Bowling Shane’.

Cricket certainly won’t hold the same interest for me once he has left the scene. I do enjoy the game but what has had me captivated in the recent past is watching Warne’s epic bowling spells where a real battle of skills and minds with batsmen took place. Fascinating stuff and for me far more interesting than seeing a medium pace bowler trundling in over after over.

Fook me it was tedious stuff for the first 3 hours last night but delighted I stayed up for Warne’s 700th. Cracking scenes and then the spell he bowled after tea to Pietersen was simply awesome. Genius.