Re: Six Nations

who are you? i dont fookin like you

agree with the piper on Sky’s coverage. They hype everything. The worst game you could imagine watching is hyped beyond belief by Richard Keys, Andy Gray et al. Also they never criticise any player. In the first game of the season this year they were covering Chelski and Redknapp was going on about what a world class player Frank Lampard was etc. In fairness at the time Souness pulled him on it saying that everyone in the English squad was world class even though they proved at the world cup they weren’t. There was a look of disbelief from Keys and Redknapp in the studio when he dared say something against the whole thing.

Also sky sports news barely talk about things that they dont have rights for.

Theres no doubt they hype everything to high heavens. But, they still have the games I want to watch. What should I do? go without watching the games I want to see. I dont watch the build up, just turn it on before kickoff and flick around the music stations at half time.

You’re on Sky sports is a half decent show.

yeah sure the champions league hardly got a mention until they got the rights for it. its the same across all their sports coverage not just football. in rugby the six nations pales into insignificance compared to the beast that is guiness premiership.

It was your comment that “Sky do quality television” that I took issue with. While you might think the product they are showing (i presume its the epl) is quality (I personally don’t) the manner in which they present it is shocking in my opinion. Their analysis and build up as well as their commentary during games is more concerned with informing the viewer that the quality that they are showing is superb rather than have proper analysis. Perhaps they avoid getting people on who speak the truth for fear that their product would be devalued.

Why does what they are saying a problem, turn the fookhead commentators off then, or use the volume down button.
All im saying is is that they have a lot of sport I want to see, Football and darts in particular.

I was disagreeing with your comment that it is quality television. I think its presented in an appaling manner and I also think there is very little quality on it. Aside from the champions league and the heineken cup there is little or anything I would watch on it.

Personally I would have to say that I do have my doubts about players in the scottish league and if thy could cut it elsewhere. Larsson went to Barca and proved it.

What about Barry Ferguson, total flop in the Premiership.

Yeah but sky were still doubting him after Barcelona. Suddenly he is a new player when he starts playing in their beloved epl. What about Tore Andre Flo total flop in the Spl. Not saying the Spl is a great league and it is nowhere near the standard of the Epl. Equally however the Epl is nowhere near the haven for football that Sky make it out to be.

What’s the difference between Republican Sinn Fein and the other Sinn Fein? Rock?

There’ll be trouble up around croker today, I’ll put money on it.

Ireland by 6 points is my prediction.

Republican Sinn Fin split from the main part of Sinn Fin over the decision to stand candidates for Dil elections. RSF don’t recognise the legitimacy of the Dil and view the decision to stand for elections as acceptance of the treaty and partition.

They have broad links with the Continuity IRA and are anti Good Friday Agreement.

Yesterday was like slamming the door when the horse had bolted.

Smashing performance but where was it 2 weeks ago when it was needed? The Irish squad has loads of ability, a superb back room team and a great work ethic but only seems to play as it can when the pressure is off. And regardless of what people say, the Grand Slam was gone so therefore the pressure to perform yesterday was significantly less.

The French opened up Ireland early on, seemingly had it won only for Ireland to get out of their shackles and play like they can. Same in France last year in what was effictively the first half of the Grand Slam decider.

Eddie has to get that sorted before the World Cup, if not a heroic failure is on the cards and they deserve more than that.

All that said I know fook all about rugby, but an epic occasion(Apart from Ireland’s Call - what a heinous piece of compromise). Completely destroyed the English from early on, kept the ball away from Johnny and Rog kicked superbly. Mate of mine was in Croker during the week and saw them practice the Horgan try move, superb execution.

Loved the way O’Sullivan talks no shit pre or post match, yes we are favourites, yes Johnny will play, thats only a load of bollox from England about injuries. Imagine a GAA manager saying something like that? If KK were playing Westmeath Cody would say it was 50-50.

The meeeejia were dying for a bit of hassle, didn’t appear to be any on TV, anyone there? Shows how much the journos love to report on negativity.

Will Greenwood was on The Last Word on Fri, cut off Frano couple of times, fooking tremendous. Big, useless, jealous wanker.

Delighted for that Davd Kelly cooont, sticking the knife consistently into O’Sullivan a while back. Wanker.

Only downside is that ass hole Tony Ward will eulogising all fooking week now. He should get a grip and go back to selling sports gear in Dublin.

Sort out the mental side and roll on the World Cup.

Agree with most of that Appendage but think you’re being overly critical of the French performance. We started appallingly against the French but got it going and were unlucky to be beaten. Granted the side are far from perfect but mentally they are streets ahead of most Irish teams in any sport in this country. There is a clinical professionalism about them - the execution of their moves is outstanding. In years gone by D’Arcy might have dropped the difficult ball for Dempsey’s try or Horgan might have spilled O’Gara’s kick - not those individuals in particular but there were always errors. In a game of that intensity yesterday the handling and basic skills were superb.

For that Eddie must take credit. The preparation is top class and something other sports can learn from. He has been slowly building the team into a side that is now consistently knocking on the door. Even last year we took a pummelling from France - despite the close scoreline in the end - and it takes a lot to get a team from the mental state of the odd acceptable loss if we turn one of the big guns over into a team that expects to win every game.

My match ratings:

Dempsey - 8 Not a single error with the ball or without. His kicking was excellent but it’s his superb handling that has him in the team at present.

Horgan - 9 Set the tone for the day by barging Strettle out of the way when he had the cheek to stand his ground. Took his try very well and while he’s an average centre he’s a classy winger.

O’Driscoll - 8.5 Did everything he usually does at his usual high standard. Guscott said something odd at half time about an accurate O’Driscoll pass being a rarity - not sure whether he was sarcastic or not - but his whole game in attack and defence was top drawer.

D’Arcy - 9 Consistently matching O’Drsicoll performance-wise these days. Has done exceptionally well to rediscover his form of three years ago and his pass for Dempsey’s try was brilliant.

Hickie - 7.5 Quiet game but not his fault - the ball just didn’t get near him much. He ran well when he had it though and wasn’t threatened by Lewsey or Tait.

O’Gara - 9 Controlled the game from the start and completely outplayed his opposite number. The back line can only function that well when the out half is on form and O’Gara’s kicking and distribution was flawless.

Stringer - 8 Did nothing extraordinary but it’s his continued release of quick ball to O’Gara that gives our backs so much space. Even for Dempsey’s try his pass was poor but he realised that the try was on if the ball was shovelled wide as early as possible.

Horan - 8 No problems in the scrum and completely outplayed the English front row in tackling, mauling and rucking.

Best - 8 His best(!) game in an Irish shirt to date. Put in some cracking tackles and apart from one early mix-up his throwing in was bang on the money

Hayes - 8 Again, very comfortable in the scrum and excelled in the tight. Hit some ferocious hits into rucks to win quick, clean ball for the backs

O’Callaghan - 7.5 Outplayed by his partner for the first time this year but did absolutely nothing wrong.

O’Connell - 8.5 Back on form. Took an early restart which gave him confidence and cleaned out the English lineout a couple of times.

Easyerby - 9 Man of the match for me - countless tackles, brilliant on the floor, great run for the first try. He was under pressure from Neil Best but he put in a sensational performance.

Wallace - 9 Again he carried brilliantly, his defence was powerful, his try was expertly taken.

Leamy - 8 The quietest of the back row but still put in a barnstorming performance.

England:

Morgan - 5 big hit by O’Driscoll finished him
Lewsey - 5.5 didn’t get to do much with the ball all day
Tindall - 5 far too one dimensional to play second centre
Farrell - 4 reminded me of a more limited Phil Danaher
Strettle - 6 ran well at Horgan and couldn’t do anything about the try
Wilkinson - 5 has to take part of the blame for not getting the backs going. He has looked very one-dimensional this season
Ellis - 6 threatened to break a couple of times but never got away

Freshwater - 5 pointless display
Chuter - 5 as above
Vickery - 5 as above
Deacon - 5 never even noticed him
Grewcock - 5 sin binning was so typical of him
Worsley - 4.5 destroyed by Ireland’s back row
Lund - 4 thoroughly outplayed by Wallace
Corry - 6 stood up well but not at the races for the most part

I don’t think I’m being harsh, I think that the present rugby squad is above sympathy and glorious failures. Granted they have improved beyond all recognition in the professional era, and credit to Warren Gatland too as he certainly set it in motion.

But the fact remains that they blew it against France, immense courage brought them back to the brink of winning but a lapse in concentration cost them dearly in the end.

I think its a measue of how far they have come that are now judged by the highest standards - that they have set for themselves.

Read Clive Woodwards book recently, the World Cup win was the result of 7 years of hard work and gradual improvement. He had an unbelieveable set up. Immense attention to detail. Can see O’Sullivan going in the same direction with this crew, slow steady improvement reaching a crescendo in Paris in the Autumn.

Heroes one and all for now though. I’m sure it sticks in the throat of that buffoon Frano, jealous bastard. Not to mention useless and arrogant. His biggest contribution to Irish rugby was an attempted effort to break the back of Nick Farr Jones in 91. Twat.

Speaking of buffoons, the rugby at Croke Park is now finished with and a massive success on all fronts I think(ok - bar the French result). We can look forward to some tomfoolery on a grand scale when the cess pit that is the FAI get their slimy hands on the hallowed turf of Croker. Probably the polar opposite of the rugby set up in terms of a manager, players, set up and even professionalism. A nation awaits.

Yeah I agree with you there Appendage - it’s not that I don’t think they blew it against France, they should have won, it’s just that they are light years ahead of most opponents and other sports in this country in terms of preparation.

They never hid from the grand slam either - they knew that was their goal for this campaign and they didn’t shy away from that. They haven’t delivered on that but when they went out and destroyed England yesterday they put down a serious marker. That’s a crap England team but it still takes something to beat them comprehensively and even when the gap was two scores we didn’t take the foot off and kept on pressing home the advantage.

Compare that to the shite from Ireland away to San Marino when one goal up we were content with that. The management and organising bodies couldn’t be more different.

One in the eye for us but one to remember for the Irish

Martin Corry
February 26, 2007 12:50 AM

Certain weekends are eminently forgettable and that was one of them. Not only did we get hammered by Ireland but Leicester lost as well and injury even stopped me attending the post-match reception at the Shelbourne Hotel. I got shoed on my leg and it blew up in the dressing room after the game, forcing me to return to my room and put my foot up. It really was one of those days.

Excuses? You can always find one if you dig deep enough but the truth is self-evident. We were poor and they were good. That sort of analysis doesn’t make for a sparkling, award-winning column but sometimes it is that simple. Everything we spoke about during the week we failed to put into practice. We were looking to get dominance at scrum and lineout but just couldn’t do it. We knew they would seek to gain territorial advantage and discussed ways of stopping that. They did it anyway. We were very poor in all facets of the game. As Brian Ashton said afterwards, we were well and truly stuffed.

It will be hard but the crucial thing now is that we retain belief in what we are doing. Clearly it represents a test of our collective confidence but keeping faith in each other will, eventually, pay dividends. The progression curve was never going to be a nice smooth one, although I am aware that is not the sort of sentence England supporters enjoy reading. All of us had hoped we had left this sort of defeat behind us in the autumn. Instead we let ourselves down again.

I don’t think there is any point complaining about our preparation. It could have been perfect and we still might have lost heavily. Yes, our away record is not good but we have hardly been unbeatable at home either. All we can do is put in a significantly improved performance on Sunday week against France, who seem to be running into form at an ominous time.

After Isaac Boss’s late interception try I told the huddle of players under our posts that it was important we kept playing and did not capitulate, regardless of the scoreline. I stressed we had to show pride in the shirt whether we were winning or losing. Interception tries are hard to take, as Scotland can testify, but I would much rather players chanced their arm late in the game to rectify the situation rather than just lie down. By that point, it’s fair to say, any chance of us catching Ireland was long gone.

Some people may also have heard me over the referee’s microphone just after half-time complaining to Joel Jutge about stray fingers in my eyes. Certain things are never acceptable in rugby and deliberate eye-gouging falls into that category, and Brian asked me afterwards if I wanted to cite anyone. I told him I would prefer to let it go. Once a game is finished I am reluctant to make a big scene. It was a very physical game, I am a physical player, and if you give it out you sometimes have to take it. Unless it is a major indiscretion I will leave it to others to sort out.

Instead, let me congratulate both the Irish players on their performance and the Croke Park crowd for our welcome on Saturday. It was a wonderful stadium in which to play and the home supporters were incredibly sporting as well as passionate. The way they observed our national anthem was impeccable and strangely inspiring after all the hype preceding the game.

On the subject of hype, there were probably some of you half-expecting to see Jonny Wilkinson toss away a pair of crutches before the start of the match. It is one of the occupational hazards he has had to cope with since the 2003 World Cup - even a little niggle makes sensational headlines. As far as I was concerned there was never any mystery. Jonny had a fitness test and he passed it. End of story.

English rugby has more pressing matters to worry about this week.

Nice of Corry to say he’s not one for bringing up incidents on the park after a match has finished in the same sentence that he throws out the unsubstantiated allegation that he was gouged by an Irish player. Either say nothing at all, as you claim to prefer, or be brave enough to say who did in Martin.

I follow the EPL solely do I. Outrageous comments. Who the fook are you to tell me I solely watch the premiership, you just cant say that. It is quite possibly the most retarded statement I have ever heard.

You are a bumbasher and by focussing your attention solely on the gay boys arses you ignore 100% of world females and as such cant be considered a hetrosexual. Any truth in this statement? Well I dont really care because you dont seem to care about the truth either going around spouting your self righteous garble

Redknapp was more classy than Gattuso ever was but thats not to say Gattuso isnt effective, weird comparison you’re making there.

Redknapp was more classy than Gattuso ever was

Now that is ridiculous. Redknapp is the epitome of everything that is overhyped about the English game. He was in the Sunday Times yesterday picking his top eleven players he had ever played with or against. His centre halves were Paolo Maldini and Neil Ruddock!

Last season during the Champions League when Kaka scored two goals for Milan to win a game Keyes asked Redknapp what he thought of Kaka as a player. Redknapp said “Oh he’s a smashing player and he looks a million dollars too. He has all the credentials to be a star.”

Sums him up as a man and as a player - no substance, just a load of posturing.

I do think Raven has called you wrong as an EPL addict though.

what a silly thing to say