Re: What are you currently listening to?

listened to Demolition by Ryan Adams in full last night, world class

Future Kings of Spain since Sunday. Cracking stuff indeed.

Listened to some real chilled tunes this morning. Ennio Morricone: “The Ectasy of Gold” and “Gabriel’s Oboe” world class

Morricone is a genius

‘Gabriel’s Oboe’ obviously but also ‘Once Upon a Time in the West’, ‘Mosca Addio’ and Sacco and Vanzetti’. Never heard ‘The Ectasy of Gold’ Ballman - it must be one of his more recent efforts

‘Gabriel’s Oboe’ is from the film ‘The Mission’ with Jeremy Irons - the filmakers completely milked the song, playing it every two minutes. Disgusting really that they have to rely on a terrific score in order to make the film good

Also a big fan of Michael Nyman - picked up a random film soundtrack album that he had scored and was blown away by it. I don’t know whether anyone has heard ‘An Eye for Optical Theory’ but its the most played song on my ipod which says what I think of it really

I bought his Piano soundtrack for about 20 Europeans (a lot for me - tend to make it my business to not spend more than a tenner on a CD - Tower Records is deadly for that). I must admit that I was not hugely impressed by it.

“Chariots of Fire” theme is Morricone as well, isn’t it? Only reason to watch that film imo. And theme to “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”, and more surprisingly the theme to “The Untouchables” (which kicks in where they break in the door to the illegal still in the hotel basement, if I recall correctly), which is one of the most-played tracks on my i-pod.

Very much like any Michael Nyman I’ve heard as well, I presume you have those Divine Comedy b-sides of Nyman tracks farmer?

Haven’t heard the rest of the cd, or seen the film, but the main track from The Piano is class. Was on the black beach as well last year where the film was set, across from Auckland.

I’ve heard Hannon’s covers alright. What other pop musician would actually think of covering a classical artist like that? He really is a super talented lad - the best this country has produced imo - but he sold out.

I remember him singing ‘Hey Ya’ with an acoustic guitar on Today FM one morning - superb stuff. Contrast that and the amazing Promenade album with the muck like ‘National Express’ and ‘Generation Sex’. Its a sad story really. How can someone go from being so original and inventive to being plain atrocious?

Chariots of Fire is not Morricone, its Vangelis.

Also for farmer, “Ectasy of Gold” aint a recent effort - its from from “the good, the bad and the ugly” ost.

Speaking of a recent effort by him theres a great score in Kill Bill 2 (where Uma Thurman breaks out of the coffin) called “L’arena”, fookin great tune.

I fully agree with the statement that Morricone is a genius, in terms of sheer artistry and composition.

Where is he now? He must be nearly dead?

Beyonce: “Irreplaceable”

“…to the left, to the left”

Stuck Arcade Fires funeral on yesterday evening on my way home from work. Had forgotten how good that album was.
Also boughy We are Scientists album, havent listened to it yet but will throw it on the creative at home on Sunday and give it a listen next week.

Welcome Jack, always nice to have a new member.

Id recommend We Are Scientists alright. Im pretty sure With Love and Squalor is their debut because I havent seen any more of their stuff. If you like Interpol, Bloc Party and the likes youll like these lads. Funeral is indeed a superb album and I recently made a mini little play list containing Arcade Fire, the other bands above, The Smiths, Elliott Smith, Whipping Boy and one or two others. 15 supreme songs.

I’m in match day mode now.

Seanchai and the Unity Squad (featuring McGowan, Dempsey and others) - Mise Eire;
Seanchai - We’re in Seville;
Eire Og - live versions of Let The People Sing, Roll of Honour and Joe McDonnell;
Charlie and the bhoys - Four Leaf Clover, Willy Maley, Aiden McAnespie;
The Wolfe Tones - Celtic Symphony;

Matchday mode for me too. I’ve an hour’s flight coming up and then another hour in the train from Edinburgh and then another couple of hours kicking around Glasgow on my own so I’ll be pumping the Celtic tunes all day.

A cheeky listen to the fans singing YNWA there.

Atmosphere building.

Elliott Smith since Saturday after the euphoria of last Tuesday gradually began to wear off.

Very happy, sad songs. The more I think about it the more of a genius I think this guy was.

u2 the 18 best singles…legends!!

What are the new releases like? Is there 2 new songs?

With all the hype around Stop the Clocks Ive been listening to the oul Oasis lads a fair bit.
Cannot believe Westlife got to number 1 ahead of them. Faggoty ass coonts have nothing to offer

Thats a bit harsh on Oasis, flano!

I was expecting somone to pick it up that way. Its fairly obvious what i mean therefore the post will not be edited

i think westlife are cool.

“world of our own” and “fool again” are class. and “flying without wings” made us all believe again, didnt it?