Re: What are you currently listening to?

Just bought Damien Rices new album 9 and already love 9 crimes and Rootless Tree.

I remember how good O was when I first bought it on release day. Then I went off him a bit through no fault of his own really - just he was everywhere like David Gray. I’ve heard nothing but good reports about 9 Songs though so I’ll give that a listen, but I’m expecting the bird to buy the album so I’m waiting for her to go about it.

Got Ricers album but havent listened to it as yet due to breaking the cd player on my stereo and being unable to upload albums onto my mp3 player. This technology stuff wrecks my head. Have taken to listening to phantom on the radio but its not that great to be honest. Also procured that Cake Sale album - theyre like an Irish Reindeer Section. One of the lads from BellX1 was behind it and it features them, Ricer, Snow Patrol, Frames etc. Again, not heard it due to my music issues.

Anyone get the new Take That album? It better appear under my Christmas tree or therell be trouble.

Was just coming on to talk up Damien Rice but appears that it’s been done. Good day.

Favourite Irish musicians are:

Whipping Boy
Pierce Turner
The Dubliners
Martin Hayes
Perry Blake
The Divine Comedy (in spells)
That Petrol Emotion (Chemicrazy is one of the all time greatest Irish albums)
The Pogues (Are they Irish though?)
Van Morrison (in spells)

Few other bands I heard on David Fanning over the years. Anyone heard their stuff?

Engine Alley
Little Palace
Compulsion

Whipping Boy - Agreed
Pierce Turner - Never really liked him but no harm
The Dubliners - Agreed
Martin Hayes - Eh no
Perry Blake - Don’t know
The Divine Comedy (in spells) - Never really liked but I only know the spells you don’t like
That Petrol Emotion (Chemicrazy is one of the all time greatest Irish albums) - Don’t know
The Pogues (Are they Irish though?) - Yeah they are.
Van Morrison (in spells) - Never liked

I like some of the newer bands like Future Kings of Spain, 10SR had a great album, some older stuff like Chrisyty Moore (I know you hate him but listen to him play Viva la Quinta Brigada at the Barrowlands in Glasgow - fucking first class), some of the Chieftains collaboration stuff.

I stuck on Submarine by Whipping Boy there yesterday morning and I have to say that I find it an impressive debut. My brother, who really knows his music, says that he thinks it sounds dated now. I know Bandage wasnt overly impressed with it either but I dont think that there is a weak song on there. It showed that they had potential and they delivered with Heartworm. The songs became more three dimensional and I still have to hear a better guitar sound on an album. Paul Page take a bow. I am thinking of the lead into the chorus from the verse in ‘Users’ - crunching guitar

I gag for that guitar in Users, I will listen to it now on my way into town. Thanking you farmer.

Knocked over my stereo last night when I came in locked to listen to the cricket. What a result the cd player is now working again whatever way it fell. Had a quick listen to Ricer’s album there; too early to judge but Rootless Tree is what impressed me most.

Kehoes’ last night played the full Bloc Party and We Are Scientists albums among others in the upstairs section. Not bad for an ‘auld man’s’ pub.

There was a lot of Daft Punk flying around as well in there which is always good. They played the first three songs from ‘Discovery’ and three more from ‘Homework’.

Then I went outside and stuck on Michael Nyman’s theme for ‘The Piano’ on the ipod while walking down Grafton Street. A good night for music.

Did that English bird stay on in there Bandage?

[quote=“Ball Ox, post: 14803, member: 70”]i think westlife are cool.

“world of our own” and “fool again” are class. and “flying without wings” made us all believe again, didnt it?[/quote]
Great post. :clap:

I’ve Warpaint on there in the background… undetow, Bilie Holiday and Elephants are great songs.

As an fyi, I found an old ipod last night that clapped out in around 2010… i’ve just plugged it in and it’s charging up… unreal. 30GBs full of god knows what.

2 Likes

Steve Reich Drumming, Musicfor Mallets and other instruments.

I was listening to a bit of Motley Crüe earlier.

https://youtu.be/naoydy7yO80

https://youtu.be/nQrkBBjS7cs

3 Likes

Motley!! OMG… I haven’t heard them in years. You’re a real live wire, pal. You’ve a wild side that’s for sure.

I’m giving the like for Reich. He’s still a total dude at 80

Some San Francisco indie from the early 90s

https://youtu.be/omwCsT6pAWU

I’ve been listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival a lot over the past week. When you move beyond their phenomenal singles output, the rest of the albums are equally impressive. Apart from Mardi Gras, at which stage they were as good as done, there is little or no filler. Due to the difficulties between Fogarty and Fantasy, it’s hard to find tracks on YouTube, but here’s a little gem from Pendulum… Chameleon.

http://picosong.com/HH4F/

1 Like

Tangerine Dream

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Listening to the Gloaming live at the NCH here. Extraordinary

3 Likes