Red Dead Redemption

The trailers for this look absolutely ridiculous good. The reviews are all giving it maximum marks, or close to it. Supposed to surpass GTA (made by the same studio).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o7rES_3ymA

Looks good alright.

Looks very impressive. Rockstar are fairly good at this style of game

remember the first one, was a a bit of good craic, if a bit cartoony. the quickdraw feature hasbeen kept in this one, but the graphics look fantastic.

i also like that yo can choose, by your actions, to be good or bad. will be getting it on release date

Ah brilliant i didn’t think their was this much interest around here gaming wise asides from the greatest FIFA10 player around in Art,Red dead revolver was great for it’s time back in 04 but i believe this along with Mafia 2 will be the biggest and best titles this year,can’t wait! B)

theres a good gaming community on here WYT. did you have a go of the halo reach beta yet ?

[quote=“artfoley, post: 468097”]
theres a good gaming community on here WYT. did you have a go of the halo reach beta yet ?
[/quote]Dare i say Art i cannot stand Halo at all,try as i might i just can’t get into it,my 360 is gathering dust at this stage due to my constant playing of MW2 online on the PS3! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah the moral standpoint thing looks good Art. Play it how you like and live the consequences. Loads of good previews around. This is one from IGN from some lad playing it as a “good guy”.

Red Dead Redemption: The Hero

After six hours of Red Dead Redemption, I don’t see how anyone could play this game as an outlaw. The title toys with your emotions – anger, love, sympathy, guilt – and casts you into a world that’s crying out for a hero. There were plenty of situations I encountered where a bullet to the head would’ve made my mission easier, but these weren’t just faceless folks in a videogame world – I needed to help them. I can pinpoint the moment when the depravity of the henchmen I was up against made me sick to my stomach and I knew that being good was the only way for me to play this game.

A number of campsites were found raided, complete parties wiped out by a gang of bandits. The sheriff of Armadillo and I were on the trail of these bastards and came to a farm that was far too quiet. We made our way to a barricaded barn, busted in, and found death. In the center of the room, a naked man was hanging by a noose. He was the patriarch of the house, and he was dead. Below him were the beaten and tortured bodies of his family. From the shadows, the murdered man’s daughter emerged and told us that the rest of her family was being held captive in the main house.

The entire barn episode angered me in a way few games have. I was completely enveloped in the experience and furious at the monster who would do such horrendous things. I made my way to the house and relished every headshot I pulled off as I killed these men room by room. I saved a few women that I found bound in bedrooms, but their faces were beaten, swollen and bruised. One of them would only tell me that the captors had done “unspeakable things” to them. When I got back outside the house, I found another group of abused women, but rather than the traditional “Thanks, hero!” most games give you, these ladies wailed and blamed the sheriff and I for letting this happen to the family.

It was this event that cemented the fact that I could never play this game as a bad guy. The main character of Red Dead Redemption is on a quest you won’t fully understand for quite sometime – I played for six hours and don’t truly know the scope of his mission – but the themes will ring true. In a world with this much heartache, there needs to be a hero, and John Marston is meant to be that savior. Hell, the title of this game gives away the man’s motivations. John Marston already did terrible things long before you ever pushed start. He’s looking for redemption.

Last week, IGN’s own Erik Brudvig walked you though his hours in the town of Armadillo, except he played as a bad guy. He shot horses in the head, left women to die in the desert, and raided the countryside. Basically, he was a maniac, and that’s the kind of the virtual life I can’t live. I need to save people. I need to walk the straight and narrow.

Trouble is, being that beacon of hope isn’t as easy as I thought it would be in Red Dead Redemption.

When I first stepped off the train in Armadillo, I assumed being the good guy would be no sweat. Don’t kill innocent people, help people in need, and do whatever it takes to make the world a better place. Turns out, Red Dead’s open-world freedom Rockstar is always talking about makes being the good guy a little more difficult. During my first real ride across the countryside, I heard gunshots and stopped in my tracks. I did a 360-degree turn, scanned the horizon and did everything I could to find the disturbance, but I had no luck finding out what was going on. Was someone getting hijacked? Was there a fight? Was it just some idiot shooting birds out of the air? I rode towards where I thought the shots were coming from, backtracked, and searched all over the area, but I never found out what was going on.

Things like that haunt me as Marston. There’s so much disturbing stuff going on in this world that if I hear a commotion, I’m emotionally compelled to investigate so there won’t be someone’s rape and/or murder on my conscience. In Red Dead, our hero isn’t a superhero. He has no telescopic vision to explore the horizon and no other-worldly sense to hone in on trouble. When something goes on around you, it’s up to you to figure it out and act.

Now, these situations come in all shapes and sizes. There are the easy hero decisions, like coming up with the cash to pay a man for his property instead of the easy “blow him away and take the deed” route, but the harder decisions are the ones that need to happen in a split second. At one point, I was leaving a whore house (no services rendered), when I heard a blood-curdling scream from down the road. I ran over to the commotion and found woman on her back with a knife-wielding man on top of her. I pulled my gun and blew the assailant away. Later, I came across a woman asking for help by her stagecoach. As I approached, armed men jumped out as part of an ambush/robbery. After using the Dead Eye feature to kill all the men in a split second, I had the choice of murdering the unarmed bitch who set me up or letting her go. Of course, I let her leave.

These random crimes speak to that urge to be the hero in a pinch, but don’t think that you’re only going to get the good/bad choice if you’re stumbling around the back alleys of this tumbleweed town. One of the first side missions you’ll come across is a woman sobbing at the sheriff’s station. Her husband journeyed to a remote area and hasn’t been heard from since. If you want, you can just ignore her and go back to drinking in saloons, but if you take her quest and ride up into the hills, you’ll find a severed limb and a pool of blood. As the days go by, more and more people turn up missing and you keep finding leftover feet and arms like discarded chicken bones before coming across an injured man and a moral conundrum where you have to pick whom you believe. Later, a woman you know gets kidnapped, and her life is left in your hands.

You could be an outlaw and see all of this, but you wouldn’t have the same frame of reference. You’d be killing innocent people, running from the law, and striking fear into the hearts of the good people of Armadillo. That’s no way for Marston to live. Why even bother trying to take out bad guys when you’re worse than all of them? I’d pick patrolling the homestead with a dog named Charlie – a reoccurring side mission where you chase off poachers and drunks – any day of the week.

I love videogames. They connect me to characters and stories like no other medium can. Red Dead Redemption makes me feel, but it doesn’t always take me places I like. That’s awesome. As we have these arguments about what a game is and if it’s art and yadda, yadda, yadda, it’s profoundly interesting that a fictional guy in a fictional town can make me feel so many things so genuinely. I can’t wait to play Red Dead Redemption, but I also dread it in a way. I know that I’m going to have to see those beaten and violated women again, and I know that I won’t be able to save them. For someone who wants to save whatever world he’s in, that’s a hard pill to swallow.

Still, the people of Red Dead Redemption need a hero, and I’m going to be there for them.

This looks superb. Red Dead Revolver was a good game in its own right but this is bringing it to a whole new level. Well done rockstar yet again.

From such humble beginnings:

http://screenshots.en.softonic.com/en/scrn/51000/51588/3_gta_cops.jpg

ah classic memories the WYT :clap: :clap:

god be with the GOURANGA days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZe9M6DD-wI

anyway back to red dead and rocko’s post

Later, I came across a woman asking for help by her stagecoach. As I approached, armed men jumped out as part of an ambush/robbery. After using the Dead Eye feature to kill all the men in a split second, I had the choice of murdering the unarmed bitch who set me up or letting her go. Of course, I let her leave.

i wold have shot the bitch for setting up a murder, by letting her go she’ll only do it again herself, cant wait for this mission now :smiley:

:rolleyes:

reserved my copy of this today, hope fully i’ll get a decent run at it over the weekend

[quote=“artfoley, post: 468103”]
reserved my copy of this today, hope fully i’ll get a decent run at it over the weekend
[/quote]Will be straight into Friday night and will have a makeshift review of it by Monday morning! getting good comments over on gamefaqs…

you going ps3 or 360 for this WYT ?

PS3 me thinks Art,supposed to be alot more lag and chop on the 360 version according to members of most gaming forums! :unsure:

screw my 2 euro deposit with gamestop

the cheapest price for the game is 44.99 with HMV

:rolleyes:

There’s a bit of a furore over the town drunk in the game being some Irish fella.

This was Diarmuid Ferriter’s view in the times:

“Irish emigrants developed reputations for drinking too much, be it in London or in America,” Ferriter says. “I don’t see how we can get all pious with it. We are a drunken nation at home and abroad and we have been historically. It’s not a stereotype.”

Has this lived up to the hype?

So is it any good? Am thinking of getting it and giving it a go over the weekend.

I’ve only played it a small bit but enjoying it so far. I’m not sure whether I prefer it to GTA or not. You don’t have as much craic just walking around shooting people or stabbing them I think because of the honour thing but the plus side is that the missions and moral side of it are stronger.

It’s impressive graphics and movement control and all that sort of shite. I guess it depends on whether you enjoy shooting people.

One thing that’s pissing me off no end is that the on screen PS3 controls don’t correspond to the buttons on my controller. And the poker won’t work properly for me at all without me pressing X to bet and then X to not exit the game every time I want to bet. Not sure if that’s something wrong with my setup but I changed nothing.