Rental Cars

Heading to Tuscany in a month and have to hire a motor for navigation purposes.

I was over there last year and went with Hertz - the desk in Pisa tried to pull a fast one by telling me I had to put a €290 hold on my card as a security deposit. When I dropped the car off they told me it was the super insurance shite that I couldn’t get back - took me four weeks of phone calls to their customer service department before I was able to rectify the issue.

Has anyone any peaches of information on what to look for car rental wise?

[QUOTE=“croppy_boy, post: 947599, member: 306”]Heading to Tuscany in a month and have to hire a motor for navigation purposes.

I was over there last year and went with Hertz - the desk in Pisa tried to pull a fast one by telling me I had to put a €290 hold on my card as a security deposit. When I dropped the car off they told me it was the super insurance shite that I couldn’t get back - took me four weeks of phone calls to their customer service department before I was able to rectify the issue.

Has anyone any peaches of information on what to look for car rental wise?[/QUOTE]

These lads will tend to get you the cheapest option - http://www.rentalcars.com but you won’t know who the car is from until you book it and pay.

We had a nightmare last summer. Booked the cheapest option through then for pickup in Malaga. Turned out to be some crowd called Gold Car who had a 3-4 hour queue. We ended up paying 50 quid to skip the queue on some express offer they had. Had to pay for a full tank of Diesel with the rental too even though we were only going to be driving about 400km.

Lessons Learned - stick with the big boys. They’ll try rob you but you’ve a better chance of getting money back.

Enterprise tend to be the most reasonable to deal with from what I have seen.

I have dealt with Avis, Hertz and Alamo over the years and found them all to be excellent.

[QUOTE=“Mac, post: 947604, member: 109”]These lads will tend to get you the cheapest option - http://www.rentalcars.com but you won’t know who the car is from until you book it and pay.

We had a nightmare last summer. Booked the cheapest option through then for pickup in Malaga. Turned out to be some crowd called Gold Car who had a 3-4 hour queue. We ended up paying 50 quid to skip the queue on some express offer they had. Had to pay for a full tank of Diesel with the rental too even though we were only going to be driving about 400km.

Lessons Learned - stick with the big boys. They’ll try rob you but you’ve a better chance of getting money back.

Enterprise tend to be the most reasonable to deal with from what I have seen.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Sir. I got a deal with Hertz last summer for 144 for the car for week. When I got to collect the car I was handed a really long receipt to sign off on that had charges for the full tank of diesel, super insurance and a few other things. Then I was asked for my credit card and I asked the guy what was he charging for and he advised me that it was for security cover and that the charges below were optional.

Serious lesson learned. Did you get the super excess cover?

[QUOTE=“croppy_boy, post: 947610, member: 306”]Thank you Sir. I got a deal with Hertz last summer for 144 for the car for week. When I got to collect the car I was handed a really long receipt to sign off on that had charges for the full tank of diesel, super insurance and a few other things. Then I was asked for my credit card and I asked the guy what was he charging for and he advised me that it was for security cover and that the charges below were optional.

Serious lesson learned. Did you get the super excess cover?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did as we were heading up the mountains to Ronda and leaving the car parked in places that wouldn’t be all that secure. I think it was only an extra 70-80 quid.

Check what deals you can get based on your airline too as they’ll discount for that.

[QUOTE=“Mac, post: 947613, member: 109”]Yeah I did as we were heading up the mountains to Ronda and leaving the car parked in places that wouldn’t be all that secure. I think it was only an extra 70-80 quid.

Check what deals you can get based on your airline too as they’ll discount for that.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Sir!

[QUOTE=“croppy_boy, post: 947610, member: 306”]Thank you Sir. I got a deal with Hertz last summer for 144 for the car for week. When I got to collect the car I was handed a really long receipt to sign off on that had charges for the full tank of diesel, super insurance and a few other things. Then I was asked for my credit card and I asked the guy what was he charging for and he advised me that it was for security cover and that the charges below were optional.

Serious lesson learned. Did you get the super excess cover?[/QUOTE]

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7uIxFFZ2cLrfjRxvKoTR_LzEXgIVnjCzg06ZkKvZ0tLFmhB43

[QUOTE=“Mac, post: 947604, member: 109”]

.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=“Mac, post: 947604, member: 109”]These lads will tend to get you the cheapest option - http://www.rentalcars.com but you won’t know who the car is from until you book it and pay.

Enterprise tend to be the most reasonable to deal with from what I have seen.[/QUOTE]

@Mac[/USER] it’s not old. It’s a new and improved version of [USER=686]@Kinvara’s Passion post

I always use Avis.

I’d use Avis in the States and Hertz in Europe. I’ve found that works best. If I am using Trailfinders to arrange my travel I’ll go with Alamo because that’s who they have the arrangement with.

Holiday autos have never let me down.

On e of the best fifty notes you ever spent in the circumstances. The parador in Rhonda is lovely. Did you do the valley walk? Lovely of a fine evening.

[QUOTE=“croppy_boy, post: 947599, member: 306”]Heading to Tuscany in a month and have to hire a motor for navigation purposes.

Has anyone any peaches of information on what to look for car rental wise?[/QUOTE]

you fucking mug

Reading this thread, there are some Irish chaps who shouldn’t be let out of the country for their own protection.

[ATTACH=full]1345[/ATTACH]