Abortion Referendum Thread

Throw up the proposed wording of the repeal legislation. You are talking through your arse.

Do you realise how naive your suggestion regarding that law is given European welfare .

I fully realize how stupidly unenforceable such a law would be, just like the 8th amandment.

If a referendum were held to repeal the 8th amendment, what way would you vote?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

We need to know what will replace it.

1 Like

The 8th amendment is not a law.

Whatā€™s the Eighth amendment?

Mrs. Moth is taking a middle of the road stance. Main concern is that it ends up being used as a form of birth control. I personally think abortion should be legal here. Plenty of women who are trying to build their careers in their early 20s end up pregnant after a slip-up. They end up travelling, often without family support, which is a tough row to hoe.

3 Likes

+1. Iā€™ve travelled to some god awful places on public transport, often on my own, to watch Wexford play hurling and football so I know how tough it must be for them. I really empathised with that #TwoWomenTravel thing on Twitter a few weeks ago actually.

No matter what way you look at it, its a grim road women have to travel in these situations.

Youā€™d wonder how does it weigh on them after. Iā€™m all for women having the choice, but I canā€™t get my head around the logic that it isnā€™t really a life, a bunch of cells, etc. Anybody who ever had a miscarriage didnā€™t think that.

There was some appalling lassie in one of the papers there lately bluntly saying anybody who had reservations about abortion was basically suffering from some catholic overhang.

Christ, but we really are appalling to women in a lot of ways in this country. The 8th is hopelessly inadequate and needs to be replaced. With what though?

1 Like

:smile:

Fuck sake mate. You are destroying that chimp on a daily basis.go easy on him

You wouldnā€™t travel spuds to a duck.

Have there been any polls done on this to indicate what way it will likely turn out, what way the wind is blowing? I donā€™t see any betting odds to indicate which side is favorite.

Donegal to hold the line again.

Otherwise a clear vote to repeal Iā€™d imagine.

Roscommon was the only county to hold the line in the gay marriage referendum, I think.

This will be much closer and even more bitter.

Itā€™ll be a 51-49 job, Iā€™d say.

Meh. More like 65/35 or higher to the Yes side.

Was it a 63% Yes vote in the marriage referendum?

My feeling is that would have been seen as a far less contentious subject with Middle Ireland.

This will be vicious, way more vicious, and thatā€™ll mean itā€™s close.

Roscommon was it?

Itā€™ll be a close one alright, but I imagine it will pass. Iā€™m hopefully for some good one liners to come out of it. Hard to beat wife swapping sodomites from a divorce referendum one time.

All depends on what people are asked to vote for.

Youā€™d have to think church attendance and overall impact on social issues will fall off a cliff in the next decade or two.

You reckon?

I donā€™t think it sits as easily with people as gay marriage.