Abortion Referendum Thread

They’ll get their way in terms of a referendum. Everything else is in doubt

1 Like

TBH at this stage a referendum would be no harm . The issue is not going away and while the campaign will be poisonous the loons on both side will hopefully make the majority see there is a middle of the road solution .

1 Like

Someone like that cunt Susan McKay. She is of the opinion that if more women were in charge that there would have been no recession. Clearly she has never heard of Thatcher, Mary Harney or Mary Robinson, to name but three.

2 Likes

If Brian Lenihan had been in charge of the country rather than Mary Robinson there’d have been no recession.

What do you think would be a reasonable timeframe for a referendum?

Within a year of government formation seems reasonable to me.

Is adoption not an option anymore?

Why? Did FG commit to having such a referendum in their election manifesto? Obviously it’s a huge campaign but where did the sudden impetus come from? (Aside from Savita Halawhatever).

You were warned when the gays got their way this would happen

1 Like

I think the impetus came from the success of the marriage equality referendum obviously on top of the savita thing and a few other cases. Young ones were the main ones out campaigning and I’d say they enjoyed it and think they have the power to change things up now. They could be in for a rude awakening on this issue though. It’s gonna be nasty.

1 Like

To be fair to Lenihan he only became a minister after the you know what hit the fan.

10 or 15 years ago?

Not sure @glasagusban. It’s been on and off for years. 10 years ago the country was all about deciding what to do with their SSIAs (or in your case your confirmation money?).

That’s exactly why Enda wants to kick it to touch. As far as he’s concerned he is the only FG leader to have two consecutive terms as leader. That’s his legacy right there. He doesn’t give a fuck who wins the next election. He’ll have his slippers on. Ergo kick it down the road for aslong as he can.

Best guess is somewhere between 2018 and 2020

I’m sure he was a minister as far back as the 1970s, mate.

Senior .

Yes, mate. Which Brian Lenihan did you think I was referring to in a sentence which also contained the words “Mary Robinson”?

Good point but when I hear Brian Lenihan and Recession I think junior. Yours was 26 years ago , mine eight . Whatever.

Mary Robinson caused the recession, mate, at least so I’ve been told.

She let the blacks in , let the gays run riot, gave the travellers all the money, let all the criminals out , gave in to the orangies. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: