Ireland politics (Part 1)

Another dinosaur of a politician who should be put out to pasture with his mate Enda.

He is utterly useless. Iā€™d say he thought he was playing master stroke with this confidence and supply agreement, but Iā€™d say itā€™s starting to back fire on him, as now heā€™s just looking plain useless and ineffectual. A few more opinion polls showing support on the slide could see him pull the whole thing down.

1 Like

I didnā€™t follow the Murphy trial particularly closely, what exactly were the differences between the Garda evidence and the video evidence?

Leo is running rings around Meehall.

3 of the Gardai had an Enda moment where they all said word for word that they heard Paul Murphy say ā€œWill we keep her here for the nightā€ in their statements, then it came out in court through video evidence that he didnā€™t say anything like that.

I had a look and found this video :grinning:

Is that when the folks in the helicopter told the guards they could leave if they reversed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Joan Burton is not for turning

5 Likes

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.politico.eu/article/big-in-japan-how-the-eu-pulled-off-its-largest-trade-deal-negotiations-tokyo-phil-hogan-cecilia-malmstrom-agriculture/amp/

Unreal stuff from Big Phil

1 Like

The Irishman was, in some respects, an unlikely savior. He has a formidable reputation as a strongarm enforcer from Irish politics but, in trade circles, he is largely seen as a hinderance to deals. He has been particularly effective in undermining EU agreements with the Americas, which he identifies as a threat to core European farming interests such as beef.

U.S. trade officials found Hogan to be a pugnacious adversary and felt that his force of personality often drowned out the more diplomatic, consensus-driven approach of Malmstrƶm. During discussions over a now shelved transatlantic trade deal, he notoriously rebuffed what he saw as a risible American offer by spitting back: ā€œWeā€™re not fucking Burundi!ā€

2 Likes

One can only assume that Phil wrote the article himself.

4 Likes

Paul Murphy asking for an inquiry into co-ordinated Garda perjury and Leo wants him done for bringing the Dail into disrepute for saying it, despite hinting it himself less than a week ago.

That sounds like a cracking row in the Dail today.

I think it was Micheal Martin who wanted Murphyā€™s comments to be examined. Leo just let Murphy have it between the eyes for playing the victim again ā€¦

1 Like

If 3 guards stand up in court and tell the same story word for word and it ends up the story was untrue then i can understand why heā€™d feel paranoid.

2 Likes

Was it not that he went and named the individuals involved?

Yeah - but heā€™s reacting politically so I donā€™t think Leoā€™s going to lose many votes by calling him out.

Didnā€™t know that. Fair fucks if he did.

Itā€™s not paranoia if they are all out to get you

And if thereā€™s an inquiry that clears those he named should Murphy then be subjected to some form of censure?