Ireland politics (Part 1)

Haven’t read your latest reply but love how you went from “I have nothing more to say to you” to another blurb.

I’ll read it soon.

X

Do that, Timmy. There are graceless concessions of inability and there is your mien. I suppose the only half interesting thing about you is the masochistic egotism. You really do not seem to mind exposing how dim and unpleasant you are.

1 Like

A quick read.

Harping on about Brexit.

I don’t defend the Mail, the Express or even the Telegraph.

I am absolutely against Brexit and make that clear all the time here.

You seem to think I’m criticizing the IT because of its viewpoint. I’m not, I do believe it is very liberal but nothing much has changed in that regard there for years and i think the argument that it is balanced is ridiculous. My big issue with the IT is it’s lack of depth, journalistic quality and depth.

Again you are being misleading. Myers and Waters are a world away from the influence of someone like Fintan O’Toole. You are simply being disingenuous here.

How obtuse are you… You precisely did say the Times was equivalent to Fox News, which was my point. Can you not read your own typing?

No sense of proportion, no sense of humour, no sense of anything worthwhile.

I didn’t.

You seem to struggle with the old reading comprehension.

I made the point that claiming that having “other” types of columnists means a place can’t have a political stance is wrong and stupid.

That is what you did.

If your ego leads you to think you have not made a fool of yourself here, so be it. I did not invite your comment and I certainly do not welcome same because it is so very boring and trite.

You see, unlike you, everyone else here can read your typing. Going around in circles looking for attention, on the pivot of bad nature, is a coldly amusing spectacle.

Have the last word by all means, like a scrum half putting in the ball, 79th minute, his team 40-3 down.

It’s quite hilarious that left wing TFK commentators cannot see any bias in left wing publications. We have the same cognitive dissonance here in the US from so called liberals who get all their opinion from CNN and MSNBC and claim it as the unbiased truth.

1 Like

I did not say any such thing. I merely remarked on two fairly innocuous matters.

First: one Irish newspaper, whatever its many faults, is not a sealed echo chamber as regards views printed and entertained.

Second: liberalism cannot be said — de jure — to create/produce bad/poor journalism. Nor does conservatism — de jure — create/produce bad/poor journalism. PJ O’Rourke is a most interesting and skillful writer.

Both these propositions are surely the smallest of small beer. The core ‘problem’ is that people are implicity arguing positions (and attendant positions) that they have not thought through.

Bias is a far different matter, a conceptual jump. I said nothing about bias.

Ireland has had a left wing bias for years. Sure RTÉ was sticky central for years.

Though to be fair that did mean they were very anti Provo.

The Irish media is left wing. You rarely get much in the way of policy debate, which is what Varadkar was talking about. It’s bumping from one “scandal” to the next Teachers conference where one profession gets a week of moaning about pay. Journalists with no professional standing other than Arts degrees looking for scandel we they can’t comprehend policy.

I will say there’s a few decent economic commentators out there. Business journalists are in the main rubbish, they are fed most of their stories by PR firms and people looking to get their name out there.

Outside of Brexit, you get a better standard of debate in the UK press over policy.

Blah blah, more words about my ego and self satisfaction when your own posts drip in it.

I will say it again, having someone loudmouthed from “the other side” doesn’t mean you aren’t pushing an agenda. Newspapers, websites and the media in general is driven by editorial policy. My singular point on Fox was that I was not going to claim that it was some balanced organization (as you do) as they have people from the other side.

That’s laughable Tim.

You seem to think anything to the left of you is left wing, it’s not.

The Irish media is overwhelmingly right wing. You might get a few columnists who are lefties, but the guys writing the editorials and headlines are certainly not left wing.

You did, you said or at least implied that conservative opinion is “fast and loose with the truth” while ignoring that “liberal” opinion is now a mirror image.

The current immigration debate is a classic example where liberal media has no interest in the truth. The simple test are the questions 1) should the US have a border and 2) should the US enforce that border. There isn’t one liberal media outlet that is willing to answer these questions honestly.

The truth of course is that the majority of Americans, from both political parties, favor a border and the enforcement of the border. “No borders” and “Abolish ICE” are losing arguments for Democrats. You’d never know that from listening or reading liberal outlets, including Irish ones.

“My singular point on Fox”

Lord help us.

:joy::joy::joy:
Nutcase.

Now you said it, pithier fashion. A laughable proposition.

How is it laughable?

Let us take economic matters.

Two years of unrelenting coverage on the “homeless crisis”. Non stop mention of 10K homeless people. Sob story after sob story put forward with little to no critical analysis. Just demanding the State “do” something.

Ironically the best article I read on the topic was in the Irish Times (in fairness to them) where a one off commentator pointed out the level of control the State actually has over housing and what they’ve been doing.

The Irish media is negative story after negative story. It is mentioned on here regularly, what is the latest misery for Newstalk to discuss.

1 Like

Yep.

You don’t seem to be able to come up with a response beyond insults and hunting for S&G at this point so I think we’ll leave it there.

Enjoy your evening oh Tara Street.

Again, you are losing proportion. I made specific points about specific Irish issues/outlets. Low key stuff. You are scaling up these points into a generalized comment entirely out of kilter with their content and tenor. This point is transparent. What you infer about my own political views (about which you would be wrong, in many cases, I would say) is irrelevant — irrelevant, at least, to the substance of those points.

Bias is a different matter. Bias can be a banal issue (‘Everyone has their own point of view’) and bias can be a crux (‘Immigrants are scroungers’). With such matters, I wait for the concrete issue and see where it sits on the spectrum. Generalized opining and emoting is rarely of much interest.

Yes, it suits a right winger’s argument to say everyone is biased, because rhetorical traction is then a matter of power and prominence rather than a matter of principle. But the contention that everyone is biased is a self-defeating argument, a snake swallowing its own venom. If everyone is biased, silence is the only worthwhile idiom. Right wing thought, to this extent, is a self-cancelling enterprise in philosophical terms.

As The Desert Fathers, among others, agreed.

That’s a fair mouthful of gobbledegook.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/tale-of-two-suburbs-deprived-in-darndale-croquet-in-ballsbridge-1.3284802%3Fmode=amp

Here we have the Irish Times masking advocacy (and shit reporting) as journalism.

Standard enough from the IT but sure look.

It’s okay because Breda O’Brien writes about how evil abortion is sometimes.