Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Canavan has always being very insightful and open on his contribution on The Last Word.

He’s not one to pay lip service. When the entire country was callign for Tiernan McCann’s head (or forehead) on a plate he was very frank in saying that what he did was wrong but was a yellow card at most.

I’ll agree with you on most of The Sunday Game pundits and that gimp Bernard Flynn but Canavan has never been one to fawn over people for no reason. The level of reasoning and arguments he uses in relation to Cooper suggests that this isn’t something he just decided he thought on Tuesday morning.

They’re probably on a media ban :slight_smile:

Shur they’re not even allowed celebrate scores anymore.

You wouldn’t want to given the speed that the ball is kicked back out these days.

I don’t understand this - Why is it so important a Dublin player says anything publicly?

Its not, its just noticable.

Canavan may well feel that Gooch is a far superior footballer than him. Canavan has always struck me as an honest and humble sort who wouldn’t be one for self praise or putting himself up on a pedestal or looking for self publicity by claiming to be a better player than x,y or z even if we felt he was. It simply wouldn’t be his style and it would be a pretty classless thing to do. I wouldn’t be reading a whole lot into it

4 Likes

I don’t think many players, retired or still playing, would come out and refer to a player as superior or inferior to themselves.

However Canavan pointed out how he uses the Gooch as an example of what to do and how to play when he’s coaching young players. He also referred to having to make special plans to play against him as well.

i appreciate what you’re saying, I’m just making the point that everything Canavan says as an analyst he backs up with considered points and examples.

Nobody in Tyrone defended McCann’s actions against Monaghan but they did fight against the disproportionate coverage and double standards with media around Tyrone.

Yeah I know. That’s EXACTLY what I said.

I don’t think anyone is.

Jokes on you.

No that’s what you said Canavan did.

Your stupidity becomes more apparent everyday.

1 Like

As anyone who viewed thinks with a rational perspective would do.

The issue you have outlined here is Tyrone do not get fair media reporting, Aidan O’Shea dived to knock Fermanagh out of the Championship last year and you had RTE pundits looking down nervously at their feet before making some lame excuse for him, on the other hand you had Ciaran Whelan wanting McCann to come out and make a public apology and Colm O’Rourke talking about bad smells.

No. I never outlined that.

You did.

Just now.

You praised Canavan for speaking logically when a player from his county was coming in for hysteric treatment from the GAA media.

Yes I did.

I’m glad you agree.

Have many of them tweeted about other things and ignored the gooch? …or is it just a case of twitter ban week of game? This sounds like parkinson type investigative journalism…of absolute no relevance. .
I also don’t think it’s fair to compare any team to kerry regards tweeting, they seem to be the masters of tweeting about their own…even ex players tweeting to vote for aidan o mahony dancing …fair enough if that’s your bag but a lot of counties just wouldn’t give a shit…kerry are unique that way…like you don’t hear many counties say the equivalent of being a “great kerryman”…i find they are seriously insular at times and in fairness very proud of it!..

So you praise Canavan for saying pretty much the same thing as any other ex Tyrone player asked for their take on matters did in the aftermath of the McCann controversy.

The earliest I remember is 03 and for me the greatest footballer I’ve ever seen is Sean cavanagh.