Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Would transfers even be sanctioned by the County Board?

Someone said here that their father is from the Village.

I presume it’s Liam Mullen?

Declan Mullen is the father’s name. Former village hurler

He’s their uncle, father is Declan, originally from Kilfera(ish) I think, reportedly a monster of a hurler who gave it up prematurely.

They tried to transfer to the village about six years ago and it didn’t happen. You have to be living in the club catchment area to be eligible to transfer so they would have to actually move or put in a bloody good impression that they had moved.

1 Like

Father rule ?

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Don’t you be rolling your eyes at me you fucking weirdo

3 Likes

What parish is Kilfera? I would have thought it was in Patricks

It is.

Surprised not to see this bumped for Michael Shields.

While he will be remembered for keeping a close check on Benny Coulter in the 2010 All Ireland final he will also be remember for being destroyed by Andy Moran in the quarter final the following year when Cork, as defending All Ireland champions were beaten by Mayo.

I am sure the likes of @caoimhaoin has more to tell about him but all in all a good servant to Cork down the years.

@myboyblue was an ardent fan, if memory serves.

I was waiting for someone to mention him alright. Overrated. Quite an ignominious last few years to his time with Cork.

1 Like

James O’Donoghue gave him and Cadogan (if memory serves me correctly) an almighty roasting in Pairc Ui Chaoimh a few years back. May have been 2014.

O’Donoghue kicked about 0-08 or 0-09 from play in a Tour de France.

A Tour de France :grinning:
JOD would have roasted any defender ever that day, he was something else

Shields was a standout for his solid play on some God awful Cork teams, pity he’s quit just as they’re going to piggyback on Sean Powters greatness to take the next few All Ireland’s

Tsk. Have you learned nothing?

Cork will miss the protection Shields offered.

1 Like

He was another one of these cardboard hard man shapers like Cadogan

I’d say you missed the point there
But you’re wrong about Shields anyway.

No I didn’t miss the point at all and I don’t think I’m wrong about Shields either.
Why what’s your opinion?

A serious reply to a joke would suggest you probably did.
Shields was a solid defender for many years, didn’t have many bad games and was very far from what I’d consider a ‘shaper’. He wasn’t a brilliant intercounty player by any means but he was very good for a long time. He could play a bit as well and was a superb club player, very well thought of in the Barrs.