Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

It’s a great skill to be able to play to the referee’s interpretation of the rules.

1 Like

+1. I’m on record here for some time saying that McEneaeney was a stones of a ref.

1 Like

Let kilkenny away with murder.

As some chap said on the 42.ie , another big Kilkenny retirement .

3 Likes

It’s “McEnaney”, guys. I ate in the family establishment The Fiddler’s Elbow during the festive season and Pat was working front of house. He was sporting a waistcoat but I don’t think there’ll be demand for any further information on my observations.

Fair enough, I’ll go with Pat the Prick from now on anyway.

Best of luck to Brian. A wonderful referee who knew how to ref a game so it would appeal to the crowd at hand. A gent and an alright sort.

2 Likes

That never stopped him for the last few years.

Will ye be holding a testimonial dinner for him? The least you could do.

1 Like

Are you for fucking real?

1 Like

Very good referee had a great way of letting a game flow.

I met him in Australia. Touch of arrogance.

Plus he mugged off Cusack for lieing/lying on the ball against Waterford in 2007.

I’ll always be grateful to him for that.

1 Like

6 Mayo siblings who were up/over for a family funeral asked him for a photograph after their meal. Said they forgave him for sending off Liam McHale in 1996. He said he would have made sure they were sent out the dodgy batch of chicken korma if he’d have known they were from Mayo. Great banter ensued.

Fine line between arrogance and confidence I suppose. And as Irish me I think we grapple with that the most of anyone I met.

could you clarify the last point?

Irish people grapple with it?
you grapple with it?

Irish men mistake confidence for arrogance more than anyone I know

1 Like

Fairly arrogant of you to make a statement like that in confidence.

1 Like

You are irish after all.

Expected response