Rip Off Ireland - A thread for rip offs

The insurance is a euro a head in the 02 so can be up to 14,000 per gig. In Belfast it is 250 or something like that.

Those bastards Sky,poor eejits who want to watch wrestling on box office have to pay 21.42 euros whilst our British cousins have to pay just 12stg or there abouts,fuckers.

Nobody watches Pay per View wrestling in Ireland and if they do it’s probably just a once off treat their parents might get them for their birthday or something.

Yesterday, Mary Coughlan rightly drew attention to the fact that the professions haven’t dropped their charges during the recession. About the only thing she has got right in office. :wink:

€55 every time myself or my family members go to the GP, just for the lazy wench to carry out a 15 minute cursory examination (stethoscope, blood pressure, etc.) is seriously excessive.

[quote=“Menapian”]Yesterday, Mary Coughlan rightly drew attention to the fact that the professions haven’t dropped their charges during the recession. About the only thing she has got right in office. :wink:

55 snots every time myself or my family members go to the GP, just for the lazy wench to carry out a 15 minute cursory examination (stethoscope, blood pressure, etc.) is seriously excessive.[/QUOTE]

Jaysus- 15min
I’d say you’re doing remarkably well to get that much time. I say somewhere between 5-7min would be the typical consultation
Still a rip off though so you are correct

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]Jaysus- 15min
I’d say you’re doing remarkably well to get that much time. I say somewhere between 5-7min would be the typical consultation
Still a rip off though so you are correct[/quote]

You’re right. 15 mins would be at the upper limit of the consultations I’ve experienced in my time - especially in Dublin.

I should have added earlier that in the rush to point the finger of blame at different sectors of society (public servants, bankers, developers, FF, etc.) during this downturn, the professions like doctors have flown under the radar and are still grossly overcharging.

[quote=“Menapian”]You’re right. 15 mins would be at the upper limit of the consultations I’ve experienced in my time - especially in Dublin.

I should have added earlier that in the rush to point the finger of blame at different sectors of society (public servants, bankers, developers, FF, etc.) during this downturn, the professions like doctors have flown under the radar and are still grossly overcharging.[/QUOTE]

You can’t criticise doctors, everybody knows that they are saints and deserve every penny of the hundreds of thousands they get

I have never paid for a PPV wrestling event in my life and yet i have watched every PPV of the last two years. Anyone pays for them is a fool.

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]You’re right Rocko in that you need to compare apples with apples but GSH’s tenet still stands- we are still getting ridden down here with regard to pricing.
I bought a car up north a few months back and saved myself a conservative 7k. Its funny though that the Irish dealers subsequently cottoned onto the same idea and starting shipping them in direct themselves, not funny however that they were still grands more expensive than their counterparts in the North including all taxes paid. They were stilling trying to exploit consumers who were afraid to go north for a few grand.

I’m not prepared for a further drop in income with increased taxes unless the Govt get their house in order. We have a bloated, inefficient, overpaid civil service. There is massive structural reform required there. If they tackled that thorny issue then I’d consider a further dent in my wage packet. Without that they can fuck off.

Whatever you say about the lads in IBEC at least they understand that they are running a business and need to balance their books. I don’t know any IBEC member creaming in the profits while trimming their wage cost base- if you can show me one I’d be interested to see it. Most companies are doing well to break even under current circumstances.
The unions on the other hand have lost the plot entirely. O’Connor’s smug performance on the day of the report last week would have been hilarious if it wasn’t true. They are demanding a continuance of social partnership when its clear that the model is broken and why wouldn’t they because it has delivered high wages and low taxes for their members while making self important fools out of themselves. Unfortunately a further round of back slapping, lowering taxes and increasing wages won’t cut the mustard this time around. O’Connor’s assertion that changing mindsets and having consumers spend the billion or two or three that they have would solve our problems is frightening. He doesn’t even get the scale of our problems and thinks a simplisitic we’ll spend our way out of this will suffice. God help us.[/QUOTE]

Dell made $351 million in Q4 2008. That was a significant drop in profits, but that’s still 0.3 billion profits for one quarter. And they took thousands of jobs out of Ireland because they weren’t happy that profits fell.

Diageo increased their profits in the last year up to 1.41bn and are still cutting plenty of jobs in Ireland.

Intel have cut 300 jobs in Ireland this year despite making huge profits last year.

Hewlett Packard are similar.

Cadburys have cut 200 jobs in Ireland despite making 550m profit last year and projecting a 4% profit growth for 2009.

There are endless examples of this. Google “job cuts Ireland 2009” then find the company name and google “profit company name 2009”. I only came across one company which has cut jobs in 2009 (glaxosmithkline) where I can’t verify they made a profit in 2008 but I suspect they did.

There are hundreds of companies here who cut jobs when it suits them because they have a drop in profits. No company making profits should be cutting jobs, sadly they all are.

signed up for VHI contact lens online shop. By some glitch i was registered with the prices. That was when i found out that the lenses they sell for 99 are actually only 54.
They phoned me and asked if i would like to have my registeration fixed so it would be in Euro - no thanks

[quote=“Rocko”]Dell made $351 million in Q4 2008. That was a significant drop in profits, but that’s still 0.3 billion profits for one quarter. And they took thousands of jobs out of Ireland because they weren’t happy that profits fell.

Diageo increased their profits in the last year up to 1.41bn and are still cutting plenty of jobs in Ireland.

Intel have cut 300 jobs in Ireland this year despite making huge profits last year.

Hewlett Packard are similar.

Cadburys have cut 200 jobs in Ireland despite making 550m profit last year and projecting a 4% profit growth for 2009.

There are endless examples of this. Google “job cuts Ireland 2009” then find the company name and google “profit company name 2009”. I only came across one company which has cut jobs in 2009 (glaxosmithkline) where I can’t verify they made a profit in 2008 but I suspect they did.

There are hundreds of companies here who cut jobs when it suits them because they have a drop in profits. No company making profits should be cutting jobs, sadly they all are.[/QUOTE]

Overly simplistic analysis there Rocko
How much of the profits reported above were made in Ireland? Profit is worth shag all anyway, its cash that’s king- if I didn’t point that out first off, my bad.
Most of these companies have covenants regarding debt and so must meet their growth and profit targets or else risk their debt being called in. The company I work for made profit last year and will this year again but laid off 200 people because the division they were working for was losing money. I don’t have an issue with that.

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]Overly simplistic analysis there Rocko
How much of the profits reported above were made in Ireland? Profit is worth shag all anyway, its cash that’s king- if I didn’t point that out first off, my bad.
Most of these companies have covenants regarding debt and so must meet their growth and profit targets or else risk their debt being called in. The company I work for made profit last year and will this year again but laid off 200 people because the division they were working for was losing money. I don’t have an issue with that.[/QUOTE]

Overly simplistic? That’s a funny way to explain away a gross inaccuracy.

You said “I don’t know any IBEC member creaming in the profits while trimming their wage cost base- if you can show me one I’d be interested to see it.”

Changing that to cash flow is a massive difference. And for a company like Intel cash is not king. Profits don’t mean shag all, profits mean everything. Intel for example don’t generate cash in Ireland, it’s not a retail operation. Diageo do take cash in Ireland. They are taking in plenty of it. They don’t have a cash shortfall. Still they lay people off. Don’t ignore the facts just because they don’t suit you.

There is zero justification for Intel cutting 300 jobs in Ireland when they’re rolling in profits. That’s greed whatever way you want to dress it up. The government supports this strategy of encouraging investment from these corporations who are here to take every available economic advantage from this country and repatriate their profits back to the US. They provide employment when it suits for as long as it suits but when there’s a sniff of an opportunity to drive down wages or cut jobs they’re fierce quick to do it.

Frankly I do have problems with any company that makes profits and lays off workers at the same time. They’re taking advantage of the recession to implement drastic cuts in employment that they wouldn’t get away with at other times. It’s socially reckless but our government (and many others) sold their souls a long time ago.

It’s like another sentence you had in that post:

“You’re right Rocko in that you need to compare apples with apples but GSH’s tenet still stands- we are still getting ridden down here with regard to pricing.”

The reality is that GSH’s tenet was 100% false. There are plenty of cases of Irish companies being uncompetitive compared to Britain - mattress.ie is not one of them as evidenced by the fact that they sell into the UK also.

ROCE is king

Rip offs

Platinum 1 giving Shamrock Rovers 30k, while they creamed off 250k profit.

that’s not a rip off, tis a public service:clap:

imagine how much smack & dutch gold they could have bought with the extra 250k

[quote=“Rocko”]Overly simplistic? That’s a funny way to explain away a gross inaccuracy.

You said “I don’t know any IBEC member creaming in the profits while trimming their wage cost base- if you can show me one I’d be interested to see it.”

Changing that to cash flow is a massive difference. And for a company like Intel cash is not king. Profits don’t mean shag all, profits mean everything. Intel for example don’t generate cash in Ireland, it’s not a retail operation. Diageo do take cash in Ireland. They are taking in plenty of it. They don’t have a cash shortfall. Still they lay people off. Don’t ignore the facts just because they don’t suit you.

There is zero justification for Intel cutting 300 jobs in Ireland when they’re rolling in profits. That’s greed whatever way you want to dress it up. The government supports this strategy of encouraging investment from these corporations who are here to take every available economic advantage from this country and repatriate their profits back to the US. They provide employment when it suits for as long as it suits but when there’s a sniff of an opportunity to drive down wages or cut jobs they’re fierce quick to do it.

Frankly I do have problems with any company that makes profits and lays off workers at the same time. They’re taking advantage of the recession to implement drastic cuts in employment that they wouldn’t get away with at other times. It’s socially reckless but our government (and many others) sold their souls a long time ago.

It’s like another sentence you had in that post:

“You’re right Rocko in that you need to compare apples with apples but GSH’s tenet still stands- we are still getting ridden down here with regard to pricing.”

The reality is that GSH’s tenet was 100% false. There are plenty of cases of Irish companies being uncompetitive compared to Britain - mattress.ie is not one of them as evidenced by the fact that they sell into the UK also.[/QUOTE]

I think that we are going to disagree on this Rocko completely.
Cash is king for every company, Intel or Lynch hotels-
Company’s obligations are primarily to the debt and shareholders, they are the ones that put their money into the company. Employees are paid for their time in the company- if this is a fair rate then that’s as far as I believe a company’s obligations extend.
I’m not certain that Intel’s operation that was closed in ireland was actually making any money- are you? Is it not a wise decision by the company to look to shift their cost base- it doesn’t matter to me whether it is in a time of profit or of loss. The Govt strategy of attracting companies here with low tax rates has meant that lots of profit is channeled through Ireland even though the activity takes place elsewhere. The company pays Corp Tax here and benefits our exchequer greatly. Do you have a problem with that?
I think you took me up wrong on mattress.ie- my point was that You have to compare the exact same product and spec. To me it doesn’t matter if its an online operation or a bricks and mortar. Many consumers don’t differentiate or care that the cost base is different. Ireland is a rip off country

Home heating oil(kerosene) is 40% cheaper in Cassidy’s of Derrylin (N.I.) than locally. Have your own set-up, tank, trailer and pump and you’re home and hosed.
2 filling stations straddling the “border” and euro the currency. Only Gobshites or those too lazy to graft a little (90 mins. travel both ways and pumping time 10 mins) wouldn’t avail of this service.*

*Not really suitable to residents of the Munster counties.:thumbsup:

[quote=“Boxtyeater”]Home heating oil(kerosene) is 40% cheaper in Cassidy’s of Derrylin (N.I.) than locally. Have your own set-up, tank, trailer and pump and you’re home and hosed.
2 filling stations straddling the “border” and euro the currency. Only Gobshites or those too lazy to graft a little (90 mins. travel both ways and pumping time 10 mins) wouldn’t avail of this service.*

*Not really suitable to residents of the Munster counties.:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Is it Kosher?

Spot on Runty and generates more heat than your local supplier’s stuff provides by about 20%. This statistic is provided by my First wife* who manages the cooker for baking etc.
There is a small downside, however. Whereas’ with normal juice you would need to service your boiler every 18-24 months I service ours every 9 months or so, as there is a big carbon build up. A 30 minute job when you know the things to go for.

I paid 100 3 years ago to see it done. A cheap lesson in hindsight. Materials 20 and a drill with a long bit.

*Previously The War Office but to abet complacency new terminology.

Kosher? You are filled in the Free State from a pump???:rolleyes:

Well, after going through mattress.ie and mattress.co.uk and harvey norman and finding out that the exact same mattress is given a different name in some stores and in NI and Ireland, I found the same mattress in Newry for 850 sterling.
In Harveys it’s 2099 but down to 1435 and in Clearys it’s 2499 down to 2099.
So, there you are.
No websites there. Brick and morter and salesmen and a difference of a few hundred quid. I imagine the 850 up north could be beaten down also, representing even more savings.
Mattress case closed. We pay way more needlesly.

Also, up the banner for winning the “who is crap but not complete crap” match on Saturday.

Yours etc,
GSH.