Rory McIlroy, Number 3 golfer in The World and US Open 2024 runner up

according to the IRFU he really won though ?

14 Likes

Or statistically very likely.

Would putting from 3 feet be a big deal for these lads? Surely thats bread and butter stuff?

Can’t find the exact data but I’d imagine he was due one.

I actually nearly feel sorry for McIllroy at this stage.He might never recover from this.Even his fan boys on the No laying up podcast say he was wrong to leave right after he finished.His plane was in the air at 7.29.

1 Like

Rory needs to hold his nerve. He’s not holding his nerve.

Still, at least he was Best Of The Irish.

5 Likes

On Sky last night afterwards we had the usual “we know he’s going to win one again, that’s not in doubt, it’s just a question of when”.

Jimmy used to say “I know I’ll win it some time, it’s just a matter of when”.

I’m still quietly confident Jimmy will win it some day.

2 Likes

We’re all hurting. We’ve all got to look out for each other over the next day or two.

2 Likes

I hope Rory doesn’t have to do an interview with Tommie Gorman.

Someday he’ll go all the way!

Or the exact opposite.

Lets take Tigers 3 missed putts out of 1500.

So a 1/500 chance of missing for a top pro like Tiger. Lets be kind and say Rory isn’t Tiger and give him a 1/250 chance of missing.

My stats maths are fairly rusty.
But I reckon there is roughly a 200 to 1 chance of Rory doing it twice in 18 holes.
850 to 1 of doing it in 9 holes.
Somewhere around 1 in ten thousand of doing it over the 3 holes like he did.

He’s either very very very unlucky, or …

2 Likes

No doubt he planned to crash it into a mountain, but missed

5 Likes

Actually the odds are way higher than even that, because that assumes he takes a putt within 3 foot at every hole, which he obviosuly doesn’t

He only missed one inside three feet.

He was 49/49 inside 5 feet in the opening 69 holes. Can I’d imagine a huge anomaly for him so again it just boils down to maths.

https://twitter.com/DanielHussey2/status/1802476351657517107

Probably gone off to practice those 3 footers.

1 Like

I heard it had to make an emergency landing because the pilot reported hearing a putt putt sound from the rear of the plane…

1 Like

It seems to be popular golfing parlance now for victors to say “its only a matter of when not if” with regards to McIlroy winning again. There are no guarantees and I’m not sure the comments are helpful or if they really mean them. De Chambeu did well to extricate himself from a couple of hairy situations on back 9. The miraculous par save on 15 I think and then the bunker shot on the last but I dont remember him holing any tramliners for birdies or Eagles.
He was anything but steady and sprayed the ball all over the back 9. McIlroy hit fairway after fairway but again it just boiled down to those 6 inches between the ears and inner voices. The last putt in particular was an awful stroke. He really needed to take the break out of it but he seemed to decel at the last second.

You’d need to apply some form of difficulty rating for each course…most of the 496 in a row were probably on relatively simple courses without v quick greens…I doubt he’d hole 496 x 3 footers in a row at that course with those green speeds even in practice

2 Likes

Kimmage is the biggest Rory fan boy going. Another 4 page spread in the indo yesterday. Rory this, shane that, Pádraig that. It would make you want to throw up your rice crispies.

4 Likes