RTE Sports Personality of the Year

Was this on over Christmas? You know the one where Spillane, Griffin and all those fooks sit around a table, each trying to be a controversial as the next (I exclude Ted Walsh and Dunphy from that).

I presume Harrington will win - and rightly so.

Just as an aisde did anyone see Dunphy break down talking about the euphoria in Ireland around the time of Italia 90 on the Jack Charlton documentary on TG4? It was completely genuine as well.

Sometimes I love that guy but other times he can really get under my wick…

Didn’t see the Sports Personality but I presume Harrington won or is going to win alright. Can’t be anyone else really.

I saw that Dunphy thing too - Christ he looked really emotional.

They were on the Friday before Christmas afaik. Harrington got the personality of the year and the Irish cricket team was awarded the team of the year.

Neither Hornswoggle or Finlay made the shortlist. What a joke and it confirms the contempt RTE have for professional wrestling in this country. I refused to tune in as a protest and it was an even more vicious and unacceptable snub given Finlays awesome victory over the Punjabi Nightmare, The Great Khali, in Pittsburgh at Armageddon in mid-December after the little Irish leprechaun smacked Khali in the balls with a shillelagh before firing the implement over to Finlay who followed up by laying out the behometh with a blow to the head before getting the 1-2-3 count. One of the greatest Irish sporting victories of this, or indeed any other, generation - it was off the hook, off the chain and yet at least 99% of the freaks in this country dont even know about it, or worse still don`t have any interest.

[quote=“Bandage”]They were on the Friday before Christmas afaik. Harrington got the personality of the year and the Irish cricket team was awarded the team of the year.

Neither Hornswoggle or Finlay made the shortlist. What a joke and it confirms the contempt RTE have for professional wrestling in this country. I refused to tune in as a protest and it was an even more vicious and unacceptable snub given Finlays awesome victory over the Punjabi Nightmare, The Great Khali, in Pittsburgh at Armageddon in mid-December after the little Irish leprechaun smacked Khali in the balls with a shillelagh before firing the implement over to Finlay who followed up by laying out the behometh with a blow to the head before getting the 1-2-3 count. One of the greatest Irish sporting victories of this, or indeed any other, generation - it was off the hook, off the chain and yet at least 99% of the freaks in this country dont even know about it, or worse still don`t have any interest.[/quote]

I saw most of Armageddon on repeat over December. It indeed was quite a
spectacle

Missed that thing on TG4 - in what way was Eamo getting emotional? In that he regrets doing what he did or for the waste of the talents that we had?

Anybody got a clip of this or does anyone know if it will be repeated?

Yeah, TG4 had their top 30 Irish sporting memories last night. As I was flicking around I stopped on it and some pothole was giving it the whole, ‘never have I heard Amhrn na bhFiann sung like it was that day’ bollox about the rugby in Croke Park so I quickly changed channel again. Just reading another board there and they’d stuff like Michelle Smith’s gold medals in Atlanta on it so from that I guess it was a load of balls.

It wasn’t tears of regret - it was tears of joy at how much to the forefront soccer was in the country for the first time ever.

I actually saw it yesterday which was a repeat from Christmas Day.

I also thought too much was made out of that Ireland England rubgy match. The big occassion was God Save the Queen being sung - nothing else. Not Amhrain na bhFiann, not Jerry Flannery crying and definietly not the subsequent beating which meant didilly squat in the end.

I remember meeting Bandage in The 51 later on and he was giving some English bloke grief about the hammering and Irish people were telling him to cop on and shut up. People were so anxious in not offending the English that they took it to extreme lengths - like the barman with the black guy who took my drink.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]It wasn’t tears of regret - it was tears of joy at how much to the forefront soccer was in the country for the first time ever.

I actually saw it yesterday which was a repeat from Christmas Day.

I also thought too much was made out of that Ireland England rubgy match. The big occassion was God Save the Queen being sung - nothing else. Not Amhrain na bhFiann, not Jerry Flannery crying and definietly not the subsequent beating which meant didilly squat in the end.

I remember meeting Bandage in The 51 later on and he was giving some English bloke grief about the hammering and Irish people were telling him to cop on and shut up. People were so anxious in not offending the English that they took it to extreme lengths - like the barman with the black guy who took my drink.[/quote]

Pretty sure I was in the 51 that night too. Bandgae was obnoxious as fook that night in fairness. I for one was in stitches at it though. The English guy took it in good spirits.

Singing repeatedly into his face:
‘Oh the England are shite,
They are so fooking shite.
Oh the England are shite,
Oh the England are shite.’

Some ugly(ish), old bird with huge jooblas told me to stop annoying him and I ended up banging her that night.

Result, I would have thought.

Ugly??

She was a fooking disgrace. Mind you I scored her mate (better looking but still fairly rank). Got nowt else though.

Was that the night I was telling them that Ball Ox/Flano was my brother? I think it may well have been.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Ugly??

She was a fooking disgrace. Mind you I scored her mate (better looking but still fairly rank). Got nowt else though.

Was that the night I was telling them that Ball Ox/Flano was my brother? I think it may well have been.[/quote]

Stop thread hijacking you racist.

There was a thread a while back about best moments, including sporting ones, of 2008. All that I can think of are some Celtic games I was at, the cricket team’s achievements in the WC, some classic wrestling bouts and events and one or two Wexford hurling performances. Not much else of note.

Along with Harrington, I suppose Katie Taylor deserves a mention and young McIlroy is one to watch for the future.

Yeah Farmer, I was the adopted brother that night I believe. As for that bird you scored. She reappeared one night in Rody Bolands.