The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

Agree entirely with this. Leinster have the great advantage in that it is THE jock sport, with groupies to match. Its like running a nightclub. Get the girls to go, and the boys will follow.
The Irish are naturally extremely gifted athletically.
I once heard Warren gatland describe the Irish as by far the most intelligent rugby players as a group that he had ever been involved with. In am era where they are all six foot fourteen and twenty stone, that is a big advantage.

That’s because most of them go to good private schools

And that is exactly what he said.

It’s actually amazing to see these schools motivate these chaps to excel at sport and academics

It’s relative.

It’s not really. It’s absolute. Look first at the schools that perform well in the Senior Cup then look where they place in the tables the newspapers produce relating to percentages going on to college. Same schools top both. Sure even Gonzaga have begun to excel at rugby now.

1 Like

The article posted last week about St Michaels said that the average leaving cert points of members of their senior rugby team is 510 pts.

It’s extraordinary really

1 Like

“Rich kids in private schools do well in the leaving cert”.

Astonishing.

What’s your point?

Colaiste Eoin regularly feature quite strongly in academic progression and do very well in stickball despite being relatively small. I think they’re okay at GGA football too. Of course they have Irish as a barrier to entry and are located in Stillorgan but all the same it shows that strong extra curricular activities are helpful.

1 Like

It sure is a variance from lazy stereotype alright

That you have no point.

The average score in a lot of private schools is between 420 to 460. One of the points is that rugby players are doing better.

This tallies with personal experience of school and other people I knew from other places. You are always going to have one or two guys who don’t give a shit, but by and large people do well.

The discipline of training everyday for something is very helpful at that age. This is why I would never send my child to some hippy dippy, try everything you want and don’t excel type school. High standards breeds high standards.

Smashing game between Llanelli and Toulon in progress on Sky Sports Something.

The Welsh crowd lead 27-21 at half-time.

1 Like

Scarlets are a joy to watch

2 Likes

This is a titanic battle. Scarlets cant get enough ball. They look like have a chance of scoring every time they get a break. Top end stuff. Toulon far from dead

1 Like

This is what the Not the Heineken Cup Sponsored by Heineken is all about.

1 Like

Scarlets tiring.

Tadhg Beirne putting in a serious shift again.

1 Like