The Rugby Thread (Part 1)

The RFU pay them, a squad of 30 costing about £1m which is buttons really. A few years ago Ireland were winning the womens 6nations but the IRFU in their wisdom decided to put their money towards things like luring drug users from South Africa to play for Munster rather than properly developing the women’s game. In another few years with England and France fielding fully professional sides it is unlikely to be safe to have an Irish team enter the competition.

3 Likes

Yes. There is a womens premiership. That is not a professional league. The RFU fund 28 full time contracts for the International squad
@the_man_himself

2 Likes

Ah france…never change you fucking lunatics

Classic implosion from the cheese eaters here.

This makes a lot of sense now. So when he rails against the “Treaty” he’s really railing against things like the Lateran Treaty which ratified the existence of Italy.

Lovely buzz around the Westbury this morning for the game. Frosty start to the day but it’s going to be a lovely day. Flicking threw the Irish Times while finishing off my breakfast.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/sanzscript/status/1091611546420236288?s=21

Ah that’s a brilliant billboard

Jesus wept.

Great Banter between the English and Irish fans on Grafton street.

2 Likes

Any members of the Irish diaspora in the England side today?

There really seems to be of little interest from the Irish diaspora in playing rugby when you contrast that with soccer. You have had loads of English internationals of Irish descent over the years. Over the years you had key players like Wayne Rooney, Paul, Gascoigne, Jimmy Greaves, Paul Scholes, Rio Ferdinand, Kevin Keegan, Harry Kane who all descended from Irish heritage.

Why have the Irish diaspora failed to make inroads into English rugby? Is it because the game has no real popularity in England outside the boys with the big ears in private schools?

Loads over the years. Shane Geraghty and Kieran bracken spring to mind. Lawrence dallagio too

Contrast that with what happened on what I believe was the last time England played Eire in soccer in Dublin in 1995. That’s the scummy soccer fans for you.

Never heard of them.

Loads?

Incorrect

Googled that Geraghty fella there, he only played 6 times for England, scraping that barrell a bit there, there must be 100s of footballers of Irish descent who have at least 6 caps for the English national football side.

I think they’ve played twice without incident since then, sure weren’t you using one of the meetings to have a pop off attendances. You’ve a very selective memory

I don’t pay that much attention to scummy Eire soccer. I was at the Ireland v England, Five Nations match in 1995 alright. A try scoring first cap for the late great Axel Foley. Some contrast in 1995 between the carry on of the scummy soccer crowd and the rugby crowd.

Any update on the annabelles case?

1 Like