Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

Wow. I never looked at it like that. A lot of the soccer lads think its a global game but I suppose thats jist because you can play it with a balled up bit if paper and two jumpers. Its a simple game for simple folk. Its actually incredibly elitist though when you consider the concentration of success as you set out there.

1 Like

Good rogbee knowledge for someone who thinks CJ plays for Leinster

4 Likes

Who are Ireland likely to play in quarters do we know ?

South Africa

1 Like

Like the refereeing that fixed it for NZ a few years back in the final against France?

Any number of examples sadly, though that would be one. There was also the referee who sprinted off the pitch at full-time in a quarter final in the last world cup, and a referee who cost his neighbours dearly in 2011. Revenge for that was gleefully dished out in a recent vote. I wonder if the ERC should reconsider hosting their flagship finals in Bilbao in May - it sends out a very bad message that assaulting a referee is now an acceptable practice in the professional game.

Hard to know, but it’ll be like an All Ireland Final to them I’m sure.

How would a world cup quarter final be like an All Ireland final ?

Its all relative.

Ireland and New Zealand look like they will be the two teams to beat in Japan in 18 months time. Lot of important rugby to be played before then though. Huge 3 test series against Australia in June next up.

1 Like

South Korea making the semi in 2002 …, and we on the topic of dodgy refereeing .

2 Likes

I can’t see Ireland doing well at the World Cup. History tells us they peak for 6 Nations etc and are left wanting when it comes to the big dance.

Australia are a wonderful tournament team .

Ireland have never had a squad of the strength they will have in 2019 going to a World Cup.

They are also Never Short of excuses for consistent World Cup failures.

We’ve heard it all before — They havent a hope in hell of beating NZ in a competitive match - They havent done it in 120 years or something like that. Ireland do appear to have a very soft group however, so the usual war of attrition that kills them may not be as big a factor… SA (QF opponents all panning out as expected) are also at their lowest ebb ever so this is really set up for Ireland to reach a semi final at the very least … I think all honest rubby men will admit anything less than a semi final this time around would be a huge failure.

Id leave anyone with more than 30 caps at home and give the young lads a right good run at it

Fellas getting their excuses in early here about weak group SA in decline etc. Its fascinating to see. A shot to nothing for the haters and the trolls

To be frank even with the depth built up if we go into a big game there with the equivalent of O’Mahony, O’Connell, Sexton, O’Brien and Payne out we’d still be in a spot of bother. That was the spine of that team ripped right out.

Injuries at major tournaments are funny things, they can galvanise teams like Dan Carter’s injury in 2011 or they can lead to this.

1 Like

So would every team though. Most could soak up one or two no team could comfortably do without all of them against decent oppisition.

Murray and sexton only two absolute must haves from the weekends 15 IMO. Adequate replacements everywhere else.