Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

France have played three Rugby World Cup knockout matches in France ever and they’ve lost all three.

1 Like

Ibanez a class act

2 Likes

Ntamack was a big miss

4 Likes

Both ourselves and frogs had our big wins at the wrong stage of the tournament. SH boys know the long game

1 Like

They play each other much more often since then. New Zealand will win more because they play so often, but South Africa tend to win when it matters.

3 World Cups to 2 for South Africa since 1992.

Referee rode France
Number 4 for South Africa should have been a red.
Penalty that shouldnt have been for not supporting body weight at the end. South Africa offside all day.
Ben O Keeffes appointment was a disaster.

1 Like

South Africa are an outstanding rugby football nation. :rainbow:

1 Like

New Zealand have won 2 of their 3 World Cup knock out meetings in 2003 and 2011, also a pool stage win in 2019. New Zealand would probably be 4 out of 4 at World Cup if it wasn’t for food poisoning in 1995.

Actually, correction there was a 5th meeting in the 3rd/4th place play off in 1999 which South Africa won.

I wonder did the public address system at the Stade De France blare out “I Got A Feeling” by The Black Eyed Peas after the match. A large part of me hopes so.

It looked like they were offside a lot to me also. The number 4 wasn’t a red though.

Just as well because they are a failed state. White flight etc.

New Zealand probably would have won in 1995 only for food poisoning, but coulda woulda shoulda.

South Africa were rock bottom in 2003 under the hapless Rudi Straueli. They were lucky to even reach the quarter-final. That was a gimme for New Zealand.

New Zealand did beat South Africa in 2019, but pool play is shadow boxing. South Africa won the tournament.

The 2015 semi-final is the other meeting. A much superior New Zealand team scraped over the line by the skin of their teeth, 20-18.

Spursy

Rugby is still a southern hemisphere game

1 Like
  1. Eben wasn’t a red
  2. TMO failed not the ref
1 Like

South Africa were my pre-tournament prediction and I haven’t seen anything to change that. New Zealand and South Africa would always back themselves in a game of consequence against each other, largely due to their status aa the eternal two superpowers of the sport.

New Zealand will be very happy that South Africa won tonight. France have always spooked New Zealand.

1 Like

Only one unbeaten side in the semi finals….

Northern Hemisphere Grand Slams and titles are worthless.

1 Like

France won the 1984 European Nations Cup and the 1998 World Cup at home but they’ve a grand oul’ record of their sporting teams suffering agonising defeats or humiliations in Paris.

1991 Rugby World Cup quarter-final v England
1993 Association Football World Cup qualifier v Bulgaria
2007 Rugby World Cup semi-final v England
2016 European Nations Cup final v Portugal
2023 Rugby World Cup quarter-final v South Africa

They fcuked Ronaldo up before the final in ‘98.